• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Android users unite!

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

billy

TRIBE Member
So how bout that Droid eh? I was talking to a friend who has one in the states and he says its fucking amazing.

I really want a google phone. Im down with google everything. The Hero isn't getting the best reviews- and from the sounds of it, it is just as sluggish as my storm. The Droid on the other hand sounds amazing- and teh reviews totally have me floored.

that's sneaky how Motorla has called their new device "Droid". I saw an ad on TV recently for it and wasn't sure if it was for the phone or the OS in general.

Karim

TRIBE Member
Verizons got the rights to call it the Droid. They're gonna name almost all of their android devices under the droid brand.

In Canada, the same phone will be called the Milestone

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
recently began repping the 'whatsapp' for data SMS'ing, 'gMote' for accessing/controlling my computer (also effectively turns my computer into a cloud), and 'Swype' as my input method (typing).

good times with these apps

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dstarr

TRIBE Member
Just made the jump from iPhone 3GS to Android via HTC Desire HD.

I love how much I can customize this thing.. had just over a week and still finding cool stuff to do. I have all of the same aps I had on my iPhone and I love that people can email me aps. The ease of gettings apps onto it was one concern I had but I was a fool to think that was going to be an issue.

The native video player was ass and had a delay when I tried to watch my avi movies but using rockplayer fixed that. I did like how iTunes made listening and keeping up on podcasts easy and doing so with Android hasn't been as easy but I think google Listen is going to work.

Overall, I'm happy and don't miss the iPhone that much. I do however, have to say that there are times when I don't feel the overall user experience is as tight as the iPhone but that's not really a big issue.

The big thing for me is that I love how open this thing is.. plays almost anything I want... great camera and video quality.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
hows the battery life on the Desire HD, and did you buy it on contract with a carrier, or outright from someone unlocked?

[YOUTUBE]fqFpq9WXbJo[/YOUTUBE]

ANDROID ACTIVATIONS EREWHERES !

[jai]

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
I was very close to jumping to an Android handset a few weeks ago, but Rogers had crap phones, and I stuck with the iphone 4.

Thought this post might get Glych all happy he nearly converted another iphone user.

dstarr

TRIBE Member
Sorry for the long story but I went into a Telus store to buy it off contract the first morning it came out and they told me I couldn't.

I left the Telus store and went ballistic on Twitter and somebody from a local Telus dealer talked me off ledge by saying the store rep was an idiot. Even though that dealer had only two HDs that were spoken for, they were awesome enough to look at my plan and usage in detail and get me a better plan for less money.

So I walked back into the Telus store and they told me they had made a mistake and I could buy it but because of the work I did with the dealer, bought out of my old contract, got the phone for less than face and will end up saving about $40 on my plan going forward. I was like a year or so into my 3 year anyways, I have just extended by a year... I am never going back to Rogers so I am not too upset about contracts.

Battery life isn't good, maybe bit worse than 3GS but, IMHO, if you're not letting me go like 12 hours or so, then it really doesn't matter because the ideal situation for me is to leave the house in the morning, go to work and then go out to an event or something and then go home without having to charge.

Whether it is 6, 9 hours or so doesn't matter because I will need to charge at some point and I got used to having charging cords at work and at home with my iPhone.

That said, the battery life is ass and you can see it draining like made if you're doing GPS and stuff.

I am now at a point where I have same aps as my iPhone and stuff but it took a while to get this phone set up and frankly the placement of the remote buttons on the earphones is total ass as well.. I bump them all the time and they don't always work -right now, I can't control music with them, only Google Listen.

But I'm glad I made the switch to Android, I think the Android vs iOS battle is great because I believe it pushes them both forward.

Actually, I'm looking to meet up here in Ottawa with Android supporters so I can learn more about the OS and what I can do with it.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
LOL

im glad you didnt go to Rogers, their handsets are shit, so you made the right choice.

and there is still things that the iphone can do my Nexus One cannot, mostly to do with Camera, Video(editing), Video Calling, etc

i honestly dont know what i will go with Next, but i will be comparing the new incarnations of iOS, Android,w7, webOS and possibly even RIM, but the last two are highly doubtful contenders, and w7 is still to young to tell.

[jai]

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
@ dstarr : yeah i thought the battery was no good, i have done things like limit the amount the apps can connect and sync, as well as the default amount my phone connects to the google servers.

i was getting like 35-40 hours per battery charge on my nexus one, but its around 25 hours per charge, so clearly some app or sync is fucking with my phone and im going to reinstall the whole thing from scratch so when 2.3.3 rolls out to my phone in the next week or three, it will be in prime operating form. As well, get a secondary battery and always keep one charged, i cannot tell you how many times this has saved me.

you can remove its battery right?

[jai]

dstarr

TRIBE Member
Yes, you can access the battery so that is one route I might go as well.

I forgot to mention that the other thing I do appreciate is that I can use SD cards...I immediately bought a 16gb to upgrade from the 8gb it comes with and may also get a 32gb at some point as well.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Clean, crisp, nice improvements to the UI, task bar is better, notification screen is better, DEF an improvement over 2.2.1. Froyo.

* FIST PUMPS *

and the new KEYBOARD !!!!! fack i missed it.

will take a day or two to see if there is improved battery life, but immediately i see a difference in just how the interface seems smoother, the UI tweaks are def nice.

sooooo fucking dope its like i gots a new phone !!!

muahahahah

[jai]

Photon

TRIBE Member
Clean, crisp, nice improvements to the UI, task bar is better, notification screen is better, DEF an improvement over 2.2.1. Froyo.

* FIST PUMPS *

and the new KEYBOARD !!!!! fack i missed it.

will take a day or two to see if there is improved battery life, but immediately i see a difference in just how the interface seems smoother, the UI tweaks are def nice.

sooooo fucking dope its like i gots a new phone !!!

muahahahah

[jai]

Sweet!
Have you noticed any speed improvements? And also I've read that it has freed up approx. 15MB of space on the internal memory, did it for you?

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
i just did a wipe and puyt my phone back to FRG33, which requires 4 update.zip files to get all the way up to 2.3.3 now.

before i did all this i think i had around 30 + MB of internal memory free.

after installing i think close to everything i had before that i wanted( have to double check the list) but it looks like around 70 mb free internally.

as well, overall speed improvements, and i think battery life is going to go back to around 35-40 hours per charge for me :) or at least thats what im hoping.

!!!!

if anyone wants to try it, ill post the links to the tutorials as its what i used to get my phone from a Rooted Cyanogen Mod back to basic stock images.

[jai]

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
did a full charge and unplugged, and my phone went 2.5 hours still showing 100% battery life, and wasnt until i took 3-4 pics,and emailed them that it finally dropped, think its been about 3 hours and only used 5 % of Battery so far.

MUCH IMPROVED !

[jai]

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
As soon as there is a Gingerbread 2.3.3 image for HTC Desire, ill link it in here.
Afaik, it will not work with the Nexus One.

[jai]

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
fuck the motorlla milestone.

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY 2.2 UPDATE?

this is just getting goddamn stupid now.

can i has a root guide?