1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Android phones overtake iPhones: NPD

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bombthreat23, May 10, 2010.

1. bombthreat23

bombthreat23 TRIBE Member

2. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

yeah RIM has 36 % market share, Android is at 28 %
    and iphone is at 21 %.

party.

[jai]

3. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Customers just holding off on 3GS in favor of iPhone os 4 coming out next quarter...

4. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

"Apple more than doubled its shipments from a year ago, with more iPhones arriving outside its home territory of North America. CEO Steve Jobs announced the latest operating system update, enabling multi-tasking, folders, enhanced email, iBooks for consumers, and iAd, a mobile advertising platform, for developers. A fourth generation iPhone is expected to arrive this summer."
    IDC - Press Release - prUS22333410

5. glych t.anomaly

That still doesnt make up the 7 % in market share difference, and the fact that all the major carriers in the states and world wide carry so many android phones its ridiculous.

the overall growth of the Android OS is not limited to one supplier, and exclusivity deals with carriers that dont allow them to sell more handsets and therefore have more of the market.

so based upon the current trends, and the available devices and the 2.2 Android release coming out, Apple is not going to make up the 7 % with the Annual release of their 4th Generation iPhone.

[jai]

6. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Hrm...let's see.

iPhone has one carrier in the States.....and Android has multiple developement teams.

Hell, they can call a dumb phone an "Android Phone" if it carries the same software no?

Seriously. I know 2 people in my whole small existence who have an Android.

Yet I know over 20 with iPhones.

7. glych t.anomaly

The Android market in Canada has very little marketing, promotions etc, and lets be honest most of the large cities in Asia alone are population wise not much smaller than Canada's ENTIRE population.

You are basing your limited exposure in a country whose mobile market is miniscule comparatively, to the dominating markets world wide.

Android is ahead by 7% and apple sold something like 8.5 million phones in the last year, an Android based phones are still ahead.

Methinks your math is WAY off, and so does the rest of the world.

[Jai]

8. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

9. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

quite honestly, im looking for a cell phone, and this android thingambob is really impressive.

My co worker has an iphone, and i fucking HATE the goddamn thing. The touch screen is crap, i have huge ass fat sausage fingers... and i just flat out cant use the thing. Oh yea... no flash support as well. WTF apple?

but after watching some videos glitch t showed me, and the video the other day i saw on the net of a fucking cell phone solving a rubbiks cube in 24 seconds, and the fact that droid phone apps = open source, this really has my attention.

10. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

This is specific to Canada, right? Was it Sprint or Verizon who said they aren't going to carry the Nexus One in the US?

Android is just an OS, iphone is both an OS and hardware. I'm not defending Apple, but it doesn't appear to be apples to apples, pardon the pun. That's like comparing PC's with Windows and Linux against Mac's and their OS.

I'd really like to see Nexus One succeed, so after I unlock my 3G once Apple stops supporting it (prolly in 3 months :rolleyes:) I can make the switch.

11. glych t.anomaly

Both Sprint and Verizon are not carrying the Nexus One, as Sprint has the HTC Evo 4G and Verizon has the HTC Incredible.

Both are great phones, so its not necessary for them to carry the Nexus one.

the point is that, Android is used across multiple hardware suppliers on a ridiculous amount of carriers.

the Stats above are talking about the US market share specifically. it will be interesting to see the trending growth, especially after the iPhone 4G is released, and Android's Froyo 2.2 build is released.

but outside of the dismal Android Market in Canada, due to the lack of promotion and marketing, its catching up on the iPhone market share globally, and not just in specific countries.

[jai]

12. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

uh. Android is an OS. Not hardware. It has no market share as far as sales of cellular devices. It helps the market share of the hardware it is installed on but since it is not software that can be purchased separate from the hardware I don't see how it can be seen to have "market" share.

13. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

^^That's what I was trying to say!^^

Thank you.

14. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

15. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

I'm constantly amazed at what qualifies as a news story these days.

16. derek

derek TRIBE Member

whatever happened to real reporting, like the panda era, when we got daily updates on how pandas in the zoo were doing? man, i miss the 70s.

:D

17. glych t.anomaly

people are talking about it, so its news they care about.

LINK

Fresh off NPD's latest Mobile Phone Track report claiming that Android has leapfrogged the iPhone in US sales, Apple is commenting on the numbers -- and as you might expect, they're not exactly taking a congratulatory tone with Google. Speaking to AllThingsD's John Paczkowski, Cupertino had this to say:

The factual accuracy of Apple's words here can't really be disputed, but as Paczkowski notes, the context can: lumping the iPod touch into this equation isn't really fair, since NPD's report is about smartphones, not mobile operating systems (which would've let devices like non-phone Android MIDs into the picture).

Besides, this is about the US market in the first quarter of 2010, not global sales, nor is it about Apple's development pipeline. In other words, Apple's not disputing NPD's report here -- rather, they're simply trying to change the subject, as any properly-trained PR department would.

There's no question Android still has an uphill battle to dominate market (and mind) share the world over, but the odds that it outsold the iPhone in the US in Q1 remain very real.

[jai]

18. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

"Android" didn't outsell anything because it is not for sale.

19. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

You could put 'Android beats purple monkey elephant with an iPhone' in the news and people would talk about Jobs/Flash/Google/Android et. al. People talking is not an indicator of a worthy news story imho.

20. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Hey, we all took the bait. There's even a Google Nexus One ad in the thread.

21. glych t.anomaly

and people are in here talking about it, without your comments, and will still do so after your comments.

what you deem as news worthy, is your ' relative ' opinion, and saying that what is posted on Tribe, as news or not, and whether its worthy, is somewhat apalling.

if you look to tribe for your ' worthy news feeds ' you may want to revisit your sources.

people post subject matter that is relative to them, and the people they discuss it with, and is not posted for specifically your benefit and criteria.

[jai]

22. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Condescending troll is condescending.

23. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

Jai,

First and foremost you quote the definition of 'news' but my comment is not regarding what 'news' is by definition. My comments are geared towards what qualifies as 'news' and what a 'worthy news story' is.

Second, you repeat exactly what I said in my last post.

'what you deem as news worth is your 'relative' opinion' is exactly the same as me saying 'people talking is not an indicator of a news worthy story imho'. With the exception that there is no relative opinion here. I would post the dictionary definition of 'relative' but I really think we are past that here. What I posted was in fact my opinion.

I believe the word you are looking for in the latter part of your post is 'relevant' and while I agree with what you say in your last sentence, I disagree with the fact that it makes it both 'worthy' or even 'true' news.

So lets take this article as an example. The article deals with an operating system and a piece of hardware, when in fact it should be comparing apples to apples insomuch as comparing Android OS it iOS. Moreover it deals with a poll of 150,000 people. No more information is given on the poll. Nor are many of the factors which would be necessary to deduce why this event occured or even why this poll should be valid. For example, what is the net growth change between Q42009 and Q12010? What does growth versus profit look like for the same period. All things considered this articles gives you a snippet of a slice in a very micro view and says that these things are true.

Is it simply that Android outsold iOS on the merits? No not really. Android is still a relatively new OS and is being brought to market on the latest and greatest hardware. It will of course experience a surge of growth as any new tech gadget worth its salt does in the USA tech market (moreso given the BOGO Android handset sales carriers have been offering). iOS on the other hand is currently in holding position at the end of a product lifecycle both the new iPhone and the new iOS are coming out in the next quarter and thus it is natural that sales and growth numbers are going to be flat.

Again we are looking at the issue of a single platform (iOS and the iPhone) on a single carrier holding the line against an operating system on multiple smartphone vendors across multiple carriers in a time when the product line is about to change in a big way. In essence the article states very little as the only other two competitors in the smartphone market are limited in that bbOS is only available in RIM's hardware and iOS is only available on Apple's hardware on AT&T's network. The conclusion that taking the sum of all the other small players in the market would make up the difference in marketshare between the two leaders and everyone else is a foregone conclusion for anyone that follows tech news regularly and has been the purpose of Android all along.

Thus I state in finality that no, this is NOT a worthy news story in my honest opinion.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  24. glych t.anomaly

Todd,

i digress, relevant is correct, the story not being news worthy i do not agree with, and i will explain why.

i posted this above...

i posted it as i found it was a very accurate assessment of the heart of the story, which is very similar to what you said above, except it does not discount the fact that the Android OS on multiple devices, may have outsold the iphone by 7 %.

As well, i assume most data that is gathered, is done in similar fashions, and that people use the same models and numbers to represent data, and the amount of data gathered is collected in a myriad of ways, that doesnt mean the trending is wrong, it just means that because its a small micro view, it may hint towards a shift in the market that has some validity, maybe it doesnt, but i hope so.

i think the fact that seeing surge in the growth of a mobile OS as new as Android, and the fact that instead of being limited to companies that are packaging their hardware and software together, that are dominating the market, we have innovative enterprise with the Android OS, and the hardware that supports it.

to get a clear idea of a true comparison, you would have to take both companies, during non release consumer spending trends for a quarter, and determine what qualifies as the Android OS/Device sales vs the iPhone/iOS sales.

Maybe in the middle of say Apples annual hardware releases, and the fragmented Android OS versions across a plethora of devices releases, and of a larger surveyed group hopefully in a variety of reporting regions.

but the fact that the iphone is actually for the first time in how many quaters, or years even, is not outselling anyone but RIM, in the US market, is significant, in my opinion.

and therefore, is ' news worthy '.

[jai]

25. glych t.anomaly

[​IMG]

Today at Google I/O Vic Gundotra made a big revelation. Last year, Google was activating 30,000 Android phones a day. The past February, that number jumped to 60,000. Today, Google is now activating over 100,000 Android phones a day.

Android was the second best-selling smartphone this quarter, Gundotra says. They are only behind RIM — and yes, ahead of that other rival. Gundotra also pointed out the stat from AdMob that Android was first in terms of web and app usage among smartphones.

And that’s not all. Gundotra also announced that there were now over 50,000 apps available for the platform. And there are some 180,000 developers working on the platform.

There are now over 60 compatible Android devices from 21 OEMs in 48 countries. The devices are spread across 59 carriers.

[​IMG]

[jai]