1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Android/Iphone phone question - data usage

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Sal De Ban, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

Here it is. Just throwin it out there.

How can I determine how much data I am using to (for example) check yahoo/gmail? How many kb does it take just to log in and look at your email account (without opening attachments)? What about streaming (e.g.) 5 minutes on youtube?

I thought there must be a website somewhere, but I couldn't find one. I also have heard that the smartphones dont scale down images, for if you open a big photo that's like 2 megs, its going take 2megs of data out of your plan.

There must be some guideline out there...anyone?

2. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

you would be hard preseed to use up 500mb data plan, just checking email, and browsing.

like i dont know ANYONE that could ride out 500mb of mobile browsing data. and most pictures you will browse to are optimized for mobile browsing if linked form a mobile site, and its not easy to find non optimized sites.

like i download apps aplenty, download 100mb updates, for rooting my phone etc last month, FULL sets, and havent gone over my 1GB yet, i think i was around 800mb.

i dont think you have ANYTHING to fear, unless you are streaming ALOT of music and video.

then you would want to install a app like network monitor for android, that will monitor how much bandwidth you have used i think there is a stock option as well.

iphone has a native bandwidth monitor built in as well to keep track.

[jai]

3. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

i am up around 600 megs this month, and thats as high as ive been for well over a year (and directly linked to the fact that i got an iphone 4 and everything is so much more enteraining, which im sure will wear off eventually)

4. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

yeah i just picked up this beaut, so we'll see just how good (or bad) it is. I don't plan on doing much 'on the go' computing, as i typically cower from social media anyway. i'll look into a bandwidth thingamagoop. 'bandwidth' that's the word that i was lookin for ;) lol

[​IMG]

5. glych t.anomaly

the app i use is called

' Network Monitor ' free on the Android Market.

its decent, simple and doesnt use up much in the way of resources at all.

[jai]

6. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

There is also a Rogers app called "MyRogers" for the iPhone (not sure about Android) that you can use to monitor your balance/usage.

7. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

what phone do you have? good to know i can probably just d/l a prog for free.

8. glych t.anomaly

[​IMG]+[​IMG] = FTW !

[jai]

9. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

really? so my new phone, since 12am midnight (was asleep by 10), has somehow transmitted 2megabytes of data even though i haven't touched it. Well that's not true: I read exactly one text message.

geeks: explain this or be punched.

10. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Do you have any info on your home screen like the weather or an rss feed?

11. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Or do you have any apps on your phone that may have auto-updated overnight?

12. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

yesterday i downloaded the data usage widget (just called "data counter") and a stopwatch timer (b/c apparently the x10 doesn't have one. balls.).

neither of these 2 apps have much access to info on the phone. so its just odd.

13. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

So i'm just going through useage by individual applications (native and otherwise). This can be viewed thru the settings on the phone itself.

Apparently facebook used 52kb of data even though i have never opened it! I haven't found what's using all this data, but maybe its all the nickel and diming from apps i DONT EVEN USE! this is gay. I fell like going to a gay bar now

14. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Yup. Apps like to check if there are any updates for themselves periodically.

15. glych t.anomaly

if you go to;

Settings/Accounts & Sync Settings/ what do you have checked in there, and syncing?

Background Data ?(checked on mine)

Auto-Sync?(checked on mine)

and how often are the sync intervals for any accounts you currently have syncing?

[jai]

16. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

at this rate, that's 5 megs a day, of inadvertently-used data. 150M per month. Really it seems that there still remains much more data unaccounted for. bizarre.

17. glych t.anomaly

i think either you have sync settings with very frequent intervals, or something that is included with the x10 customized OS is initiating the data usage.

what services/accounts do you have set up on it??

[jai]

18. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

just gmail. i dont have twitter, fb, rss feeds, or anything else...weeeeird

19. glych t.anomaly

yeah thats really bizarre.

[jai]

20. glych t.anomaly

in the last 4 hours while doing nothing with my phone other than texting i used 387kb.

so its background data and syncing i believe, from whatever applicaitons/services are running on your phone.

i really wouldnt worry about it, how much data does your plan offer?

[jai]

21. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

500mb. i think the native apps are sucking the most data which is ironic. leave it to rogers....lol my precious stopwatch only used 4kb upon its initial install.