• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

And they say gear is dead.....

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
I've seen more then a couple of cool things that are coming out now in the music gear world..... Prob. one of the coolest.

http://www.sequentix.com/index.htm

its a midi sequencer based on the whole oldschool analogue sequencer thing.

But either way.. the more I look around, the more I see there's some seriously cool gear out there. Probably half of it costs an arm and a leg.. but still. pretty cool stuff.

why not

TRIBE Member
there's a bunch of companies that make analog step sequencers, but it's kind of a limited way to work.

a few years ago i was curious about the Frostwave, which was cool because you could use it as a normal midi controller as well.

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
but its great for making bubbling basslines.... if I had all the $$$ I'd have one and use it for just that!

why not

TRIBE Member
great for techno loops in general, but not so good for other styles.
if i had an analog synth, i'd totally be looking at something like this, however, i'm pretty much all software these days, unless i'm lucky enough to get into a real studio.
i love the randomness of this kind of sequencing.

i've got an old arp pro-soloist, but many of the features aren't very functional anymore - does anyone know anyone qualified to take it apart and hook up some CV inputs to the sound generator?
i'm sooo not a keyboard player, so i want someway of sequencing it.
as well, it has no knobs, and i'd love to be able to control the filters with something.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Mike Goodwin

TRIBE Member
that sequencer looks very nice but it seems that hardware sequencers just fail to excite me now that I work with Live. I just love to have all my chaos in nice little colourd squares that I can move around where I like on the screen. It just works well for me. I still own my EMU XL7. It has a fantastic sequencer in it. It was all i used before I got converted by live4. Live4 just fixed all the things that pissed me off with hardware. Now only if they would create a version that ran without having to boot Windows or OSX. That would make my day.

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
For that reason alone I'm sticking with gear... There's something to be said about being able to flick a switch and go... no need to wait for the OS to load, and then mouseclick your way into an app.

Although it's nice to have a computer in the studio..... I'm still a die hard gear fan.

JK

TRIBE Promoter
vveerrgg said:
For that reason alone I'm sticking with gear... There's something to be said about being able to flick a switch and go... no need to wait for the OS to load, and then mouseclick your way into an app.

Although it's nice to have a computer in the studio..... I'm still a die hard gear fan.
I totally agree...

although I produce primarily with software, I would go all hardware if I could afford to do it the way I want (and I LOVE ableton and have been a user for 3+ years)
... on a sad note my drum machine died last week :(

oh... that sequencer looks SEXY

why not

TRIBE Member
why not said:
there's a bunch of companies that make analog step sequencers, but it's kind of a limited way to work.

a few years ago i was curious about the Frostwave, which was cool because you could use it as a normal midi controller as well.

just saw this thing at songbird on sale, for less than $500, possibly $450.
just in case anyone wants to sequence some of their old CV synths, or get some of that random insanity going on for their other gear.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
vveerrgg said:
but can you use it as an analogue sequencer?
Not that I can tell. I was just giving it to all the digital plugin ppl who think its all just as good.

(as if) next they will tell me that a cd is as good as vinyl or an mp3 as good as cd.

Rhythm Logic

TRIBE Member
^^ No. It's a controller (damn good one too). I have been trying to track one of these down for a little while, but they seem tough to find in stock and available to Canada :(

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
I love analogue for the simplicity and the hand-on ergonomics.

I love digital for the depth/complexity/save patch :D feature and integration with sampling (big part of how I write music).

So, I'm in love with all the controllers. Anything that lets me feel like I'm controlling my old analogue gear but has the functionality of my digital stuff is awesome.

Also - cannot take up a lot of space.

Yeah, I'm a demanding bitch.

Mike Goodwin

TRIBE Member
DeepSix said:
I love analogue for the simplicity and the hand-on ergonomics.

I love digital for the depth/complexity/save patch :D feature and integration with sampling (big part of how I write music).

So, I'm in love with all the controllers. Anything that lets me feel like I'm controlling my old analogue gear but has the functionality of my digital stuff is awesome.

Also - cannot take up a lot of space.

Yeah, I'm a demanding bitch.
Ya basicly feel the same way. It has to be easy to tweak and fast to open. Small is a major factor as well. I am looking forward to more digitaly controlled analog gear. I think that is the obvious direction that some companies will go. It is just a matter of time and cash. For example a rack mounted synth with little or no interface other than an on switch that is TOTALY analog. You plug a usb cable from your computer to it for all your controller changes via a VST interface in your DAW and a nice pair of balanced pair of analog outs to attatch to what ever you like. This way you get the interface and memory of a vst, the sound of a nice synth, and the cost cutting and space saving factor of it being small and not having a wack of expencive knobs all over it. I guess i like endless encoders with light rings, and untill I have a billion bucks I may as well enjoy all the killer software synths and VST's. It is pretty hard to put down synths like Reaktor, impOSCar, Minimonster, Wayoutware ARP2600 to name a few.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
Yeah, sorry Iso, some of us aren't purists. We just like making music and are constrained by things like time, space, and money. I would love to still have the old analogue gear I owned prior to selling it all to go back to school. But hey. I wouldn't have the space for it :D

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
Eh? No no no, thats not what I meant. I'm no purist; I'm a 'use what works' kinda guy, in fact, I don't own a single analogue synth.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories