1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

And... no MUTEK reviews either - c'mon!!

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by erika, Jun 9, 2010.

1. erika

erika TRIBE Member

2. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Really curious how Nicholas Jaar was.
  3. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

The board aint what it used to be for reviews. To put it mildly.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  4. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I was visiting family in Ottawa and we did the mutek picnik on Saturday for the day and then drove back to O-town.

Can't comment on Miniliogue as we got there just as they were wrapping up.

Koze came on and treated us to a very excellent ~2hr set with lots of fun gems, kind of a trippy housey vibe for the most part. I wish I could comment more on the music but my state of mind of was not conducive to tracking details in the music all that much allz I can say is I was having a blast and the mood he set was killer. Really disappointed in myself for not catching him at a more intimate appearance like in tee dot the week before.

Kalkbrenner was great. First time seeing him despite being a longtime fan (yes yes, i missed ALL toronto shows!). He was great in the first hour and kept it up but ended the set with about 40 mins of a "one track at a time" approach which was hinted at about his Toronto performance. To be honest, I didn't really have a problem with that and thought it was an alright way to close out.

It rained HEAVILY for like, 20 mins and everyone got soaked but the weather was actually fine apart from that.

Crowd was in a good mood and I'm very happy I made the day-trip!
  5. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

Surprised you were fine with the 1-song-at-a-time considering what a dancing maschine you usually are - having that many stops (and for long periods of time judging by the video posted on TA) would kill the dance-vibe for me.
  6. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

ya at that point we were chatting and standing around - wasn't in a dancing mood.

You are correct though, if I wasn't in that "listening mode" and instead in "lightning bolt robot mode", I'd a been annoyed..;)
  7. veteze

veteze TRIBE Promoter

8. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

Review from my BFF:

Pepe Bradock was the best.

(I really want to see him and Move D some day....sigh)
  9. patboogie

patboogie TRIBE Promoter

10. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

That was last year (with Zip) and they were pretty good, but it was fucking cold out there.
  11. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

the free show by Senor Coconut was just one big pile of Fun
    Seriously, that was probably the best Mutek show this year
    I'm not joking. and I've got video footage to prove it!

Da Da Da....
  12. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

i had a great time. i am going to go out on a limb and say that the attendance was as high as it could've been, but that's not a big deal.

day 1: after getting off the train i headed straight to a panel with senior coconut, guillame d coutement, dave aju talking about "finishing the track". then i had schwartz's deli with my host for the weekend. half fat, full sour, and a diet coke(not cherry).

night 1: this was thursday night's nocturne. jon hopkins stole the show here by a mile. it was really deep and bumping but he was also performing like a madman. just to be clear - he is like grime and glitch but not 4/4. very welcome surprise here.

mouse on mars was a pile of noise. i couldn't take it. mossa was in the other room and was a nice relief. the night ended with nathan fake who i thought was ok but people seemed to be gobbling him up at the festival in general.

day 2: went to a ableton workshop with pheek, then went to the miles davis exhibit at the museum. incroyable!

by night my friends in mtl weren't going out for the mutek event so i headed to what was supposed to be a dubstep night but never made it into that room. i rushed to the venue to see Actress, got stuck in traffic in my cab, waited in line, feeling like i was missing something amazing... and i got in and it was really bad. he was just standing there and didn't even sound good. poor guy must've taken a lot of flack online for this letdown. Cheap and Deep followed up which was good, and then jacek sienwiecizk played after who really killed it. shed closed up this room but i didnt stay for much.

headed over to stereo for the dirtybird night - i caught voodeux who were great but i didn't like the club. they don't serve alcohol which is understandable, but they also don't really let anyone in and out(like ten ppl at a time). other than that it looked nice and sounded great. by the time claude got on i just left. vending machines instead of bartenders was interesting. oh yeah and it was douchebag central.

day 3 was saturday's picnik - caught the end of minilogue who were murdering the place apart, and then koze went with a deep set as mentioned above. the thunderstorm was a big bummer but i know why they didn't take it indoors for day one - cause that's essentially cancelling picnik. by the time paul was playing i wasn't very focused and wanted to get on the metro for senior coconut to beat the crowd out of there.

senior coconut - my my my! oh so good. and it was a pretty big crowd too. then i headed over to the next nocturne to see move d. it was sounding good but i really needed a break. so i missed henrik schwarz. my friend said it was amazing, probably his fave of the fest. the visuals on the video looked great. i also missed guillame and his band. so i came back for dixon late at night and that was sounding good, but as you guessed - i really was getting to that point where it was enough good music already.

the final day i had two hours before my train. picnik got moved indoors which is basically like any other night. i saw some young guy who was pretty good, and then dave aju was sounding sweet. but alas i had to go.

i really enjoyed it. i would go back next year because you really don't have much to lose by heading out there. i probably would like to go to a picnik this summer too.

ok erika - you asked for a review and you got one!
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  13. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

heard it was good. the #mutek hashtag on twitter was quite useful except for one little weiner who just complained everywhere he went, clogging up the feed.
  14. ethnik

ethnik TRIBE Member

everyone I spoke with in MTL seemed to be in agreement that Henrik Schwarz was the performance of the fest. Apparently there is audio floating around....

So bummed i missed the fest this year :(
  15. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Thanks E, I knew you'd come through for me! Sounds like you had a great time and makes me want to go next year. Also makes me want to make sure I avoid Stereo :).
  16. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

so i mentioned in my review some young guy on the last day of the festival - turns out that was nicolas jaar. it was an interesting set that had some disco and chillout sounds in it. he did some vocals that were kind of like david byrne but not very special. there were a few integrations of live performance but they weren't anything special, kind of like they were placed in there for gimmick (pad drumming and some sort of keyboard thing).

overall the music of that set was really good, but i think here is a bit of the challenge with taking studio music live that you can spot throughout the festival: there seems to be a need to do certain things to recreate the studio experience but you are left with something that isn't as good as a dj set and isn't as good as a live performance.

jaar would do well in a setting like wrongbar or the drake. seeing him on a massive stage with a huge lighting rig at 3pm was a little much.