1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Analog synth bpm vs. Computer's bpm

Discussion in 'Electronic Music Producers Forum' started by Sal De Ban, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

As i wrap my head around this problem, I'm curious to know who has similar problems with this.

If I am recording sound in thru my analog drum machine into Cubase, (set at 120 bpm for example), it won't match up to the 120 bpm click track in Cubase and will eventually fall out of time.

I find that 120.1 bpm on the drum machine is actually closer to 120 bpm on the computer. The beat holds a bit longer, but still falls out of time. does it sound like my drum machine is fucked?

is there a better way to synch the two clocks, besides 'riding the bpm dial' as i record?

2. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

What kind of drum machine is it?

3. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

Roland mc-303.

i've ruled out latency being an issue too....

4. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Are you using MIDI to synch the Clocks?

5. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

I am keying in 120 bpm in cubase, and 120 (point 1) on the 303. can the 303 be sync'ed externally by connecting it to the soundcard's midi port?

hmmm just thinking out loud here....

6. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

yup. The 303 can receive midi clock information so you can send from cubase and it will keep the 303 in synch. Don't ask me exactly what settings to use as I don't use Cubase and don't have a 303. It should be easy enough though.

7. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

crazy! now i gotta dig out the manual and write down midi codes etc. its been a long hell of a while since I did any of that. back to the lab....

8. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i saw a used mc-303 for $250 recently, and they're still much more brand new (where available). I still use my 303 in some capacity for most tracks. If I sold it, i'd still have to get another drum machine, which would cost much more than $250, and not sound nearly as authentic. thought of the day.

9. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

I have an mc-505. You definitely need to sync the 303 to your computer with MIDI clock. I can't remember exactly where it is. Probably in the 'Utility' menu. The clocks on most drum machines are fairly inaccurate. Always use your computer as the master.

10. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

^ cool. good to know its just 'the way it be' with drum machines.baconpan

11. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

As far as Midi goes theres in, out and thru...Roland Midi clock settings are usually slave, master and remote. If you want to control an external synth module using external equipment the remote keyboard switch has to be set to "ON"...on the device your transmitting to. You have to use Midi thru if you plan to transmit midi through one device to an other but in order to control them both the remote keyboard switch has to be "ON"....on the second device one as well.

For example Cubase Transport settings have to bet set as the Master the second device as "Remote" through to the third device set as "Slave"
    Its best to have a proper Cubase Transport controller with the scrub function like the one below.

[​IMG]

12. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

I remember having one of those mc-505 and using it with the JP8000. Those two were a killer combo

13. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

you could mix the arpeggiator accent knob with the ADSR envelop faders and tweak your sounds with filters. Mix that with the Super Saw sounds of the JP8000 and you could make some real dirty techno.

14. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

The only problem with the 505 is that the LED display goes on them after a while.

15. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

I forgot to mention TX/RX midi settings they help you to set certain control parameters for automated programing functions. I would read up on it in the manual if you really want to get creative.

16. DJAlchemy

DJAlchemy TRIBE Promoter

I've found this problem a lot when trying to synch hardware / software... Even when synched, the synths sometimes tend to drift and feel like they are trying to catch up with the tempo, especially on more complicated arpeggio patches with lots of LFOs. The best beat keeper I've played with thus far is the MPC 1000.. Can't comment on the other MPC models, but I imagine they would be the same. I'm finding that its far easier to dump my patterns into Cubase and then have the computer play the MIDI back to the controlled device. That way everything is locked to the grid in the computer and I'm not fucking around with midi synch.

17. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

1. use the 'latch' function

2. adjust bpm when needed (just like a vinyl)

3. tweak fx simultaneously

4. = workable solution, and adds human elements to otherwise rigid compositions.

18. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

can a midi splitter (it has 1 input and two outputs) send two different midi pattern messages?

19. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

yes. this one.

how do you send more than one midi pattern at a time, if your sound card only has one midi-out?

20. DJAlchemy

DJAlchemy TRIBE Promoter

Create a chain using midi in and midi thru, connect your devices serially as such. Assign each device a different midi channel 1-16. On the computer, make your different midi parts channel setting correspond to the synth or machine you want it to play.

21. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

thanks man! this is dope.