• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

An Open Letter to AFE Society

deevah

TRIBE Member
(Alexd - this is NOT promo)

Dear AFE Society,

I understand you're into throwing a good party and I'm always up for a good party.

Last I saw your logo, it was in banner form, hanging over the DJ booth @ fw. I mentioned to Joel @ that time it was an embarrassment to my culture.

Your logo is retarded. Get off the asian exoticism kick because you clearly lack insight, knowledge and enlightenment. Quit using the chinese characters BECAUSE YOU'VE PLACED THEM BACKWARDS. My fellow countrymen laugh at your feeble attempts to market our culture, stick to the chicken balls with plenty of red sauce dickwads.

The characters shè huì, meaning society are suppose to look like this:

793E.gif

4F1A.gif

So I'm secretly hoping that one of you has this as a tattoo as this is a common mistake when getting Chinese characters incorporated into your design. That way, you are forever branded as an moronic asshat.

Good luck with your party next week!

Yours sincerely,

Last edited:
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

deevah

TRIBE Member
ian said:
How do you know the banner wasn't just hung backwards? ;)

b/c the english portion of their logo is comprised of A & E - neither of them were backwards

plus their flyers for this wkend's event were certainly not backwards either

coleridge

TRIBE Member
because they represent a backwards society where people sleep in the day, party all night and make love not war.

acheron

TRIBE Member
I will keep this in mind the next time I see an Engrish sign in Chinatown (north or south)... One of my favourites is no longer visible (blocked by a new development) but on Cameron St. there used to be a sign for a t-shirt and souvenir store that listed "t-shirts and norelfies".

First off, people whose first language isn't English shouldn't be making English signs. Second, people whose first language isn't English shouldn't be ordering signage over the phone.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
I will keep this in mind the next time I see an Engrish sign in Chinatown (north or south)... One of my favourites is no longer visible (blocked by a new development) but on Cameron St. there used to be a sign for a t-shirt and souvenir store that listed "t-shirts and norelfies".

First off, people whose first language isn't English shouldn't be making English signs. Second, people whose first language isn't English shouldn't be ordering signage over the phone.

I'm having trouble putting into words how much of an idiot this post makes you look like.

skin deep

TRIBE Member
When the Guvernment logo spins really fast at the top of the page it looks like a swastika. You should write them too.

deevah

TRIBE Member
acheron - absolutely equally as funny and embarrassing

however, one is subjected to use another language for business purposes, the other for artistic endeavours

are you trying to tell me you don't see the difference?

acheron

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
I'm having trouble putting into words how much of an idiot this post makes you look like.
I'm pointing out how it's the same both ways - original post indicates one culture's displeasure with another's bastardization of their language due to an unfortunate misunderstanding of the way said language works. In the first case, a non-chinese person making creative that uses backward Chinese characters. I listed an example of a Chinese business commissioning creative that bastardizes the English language due to an unfortunate misunderstanding of the way English works. The only way a Chinatown sign would include the word "norelfies" is if someone with a thick asian accent ordered the sign and pronounced the word "novelties" improperly - and then the person on the other end of the phone, taking the order, took it down incorrectly, because they ALSO had a limited understanding of the English language. How that situation makes me an idiot isn't clear to me. Perhaps you can explain.

Deevah: business vs. art - the result is the same, they're both banners miscommunicating ideas.

Last edited:

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
I'm pointing out how it's the same both ways - original post indicates one culture's displeasure with another's bastardization of their language due to an unfortunate misunderstanding of the way said language works. In the first case, a non-chinese person making creative that uses backward Chinese characters. I listed an example of a Chinese business commissioning creative that bastardizes the English language due to an unfortunate misunderstanding of the way English works. The only way a Chinatown sign would include the word "norelfies" is if someone with a thick asian accent ordered the sign and pronounced the word "novelties" improperly - and then the person on the other end of the phone, taking the order, took it down incorrectly, because they ALSO had a limited understanding of the English language. How that situation makes me an idiot isn't clear to me. Perhaps you can explain.

Deevah: business vs. art - the result is the same, they're both banners miscommunicating ideas.

Situation #1: A Chinese-Canadian entreprenuer who, as a result of attempting to do business in his/her 'new' country, must try and cater to the local "english" culture.

Situation #2: A club promotion company misappropriating Chinese culture for the explicit purpose of looking cool.

Context, environment, & intent. They're different, and if you can't understand that than I'm at a loss for a better way of explaining it to you.

To suggest that if English is not your first language you have no right to pursue commerical enterprises in an English-speaking country is retarded.

man_slut

TRIBE Member
^^^ What gives you the idea a promotion company put up a banner for the soul purpose of looking cool? The banner had the exact same purpose as the China Town "norelfies" sign. That is to aquire the bussiness of the said target market. Both are guilty of bastardizing said cultures.

acheron

TRIBE Member
intent doesn't matter here - it's communication, period. In both cases the parties using the language didn't know enough about the language to be able to use it effectively. In both cases a little bit of research would have solved the problem. In the case of the club promoter, five minutes on google would have solved the problem. In the case of the C-C entrepreneur, the problem would be solved if he dealt with a signage company that had a better command of the English language - that doesn't matter, really - whether he was able to or not, the result is the same, a communication that causes amusement at least and embarassment at worst. I'm not talking about whose fault it is, only that the end result is the same.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
it is like all those people with the chinese characters tattooed on themselves: thinking they were getting "love" and "happiness", actually got "fat" or "loser".

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
AFE was targeting the non-speaking Chinese community at Footwork?

Anyways, the party actually looks dope, and the mistake was innocent enough. Out of a sign of respect though I think they should ensure that any promotion done between now and the event has the correct orientation/spelling/whathaveyou

deevah

TRIBE Member
acheron - there is nothing asian this promotion company is doing to elicit the use of chinese characters. They're not targeting that demographic, they're not bringing chinese artists, they're not playing music by chinese producers so why the need? Why bother using chinese even? why not sanskrit, arabic, german, korean, etc?

A chinese store owner requires english or at least some understanding of it to do business in this country. A percentage of their customers require their english signage. Even mispelled, there is an actual business driver to be multi-lingual.