• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

An Introduction to Electronic Music

exrboy

TRIBE Promoter
Yo yo,

I have a friend who doesn't know much about electronic music. Basically she classifies all of it under the umbrella term of "vampire music". I'm gonna make a cd of choons....what would you put on it? Right now I'm thinking some:

Chemical Bros.
Fatboy
Orbital

What else would you put on? Your excellent and sarcastic recommendations are welcome!

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
ease them into it perhaps. what music do they generally prefer already?

imo cb/fb/orbital are good but could overwhelm them or bias them further if it's not their scene. best to break them in gently with some more fusion- level stuff.

yes even madonna

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Breaks:

Krafty Kuts
The Freestylers (their old stuff)
Freq Nasty

Those three cover the different styles well.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
More house music...like Armand Van Helden, Felix Da Housecat, Derrick Carter, Mark Farina, and maybe some filtered disco stuff from Joey Beltram, Angel Alanis, Roger or Junior Sanchez

Chicks and gheys love house! ;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

todiefor

TRIBE Promoter
In reality it's a good idea to put a range of styles of tracks on there and don't be afraid to put some more commercial, poppy or trancey tracks on if you want to sort of give her a gateway.

Some suggestions:
Adam Freeland,
BassBin Twins
Paul Oakenfold
Ferry Corsten
Prodigy
Sasha
James Zabiela
Chemical Brothers
Faithless (Insomnia)
Speakerpimps

why not

TRIBE Member
DeepSix said:
What does she listen to normally?
this is the most important question really.

if all i knew about electronic music was Chemical Bros., Fatboy, Orbital, Leftfield, and Massive Attack i probably wouldn't be into it either, but these acts might fit right in to what she listens to for all i know.

if she likes R&B, she'd probably be better off with some soulful NYC house.

if she likes punk rock, throw her some Ed Banger type shit.

if she likes hip-hop, give her some Diplo hipster shit.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Alva Noto
Raster Norton
Ø
Philus
Panasonic

.. I kid, that'd probably scare them off of anything electronic

exrboy

TRIBE Promoter
she like da soca, reggae and dancehall.

I guess i gotta but some jungle on there. DJ Marky!

Thanks for the tips peeps...keep em coming.

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
Or just give her mixes from your favourite DJs.

That's kinda how the music is intended to be listened to! Or take her out to a club.

If you're going to make a mixed CD, I would keep on point with tunes that are more "songs" than "tracks", keep a healthy dose of vocals, and most of all, keep it fun all the while trying to appeal to her sense of "what's good".

Are you trying to dispense with or encourage this umbrella concept of "Vampire Music?"

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Stan said:
Xenomorph
Penta
Battle of the Future Buddhas
I used to love all of those guys. Oh Xenomorph, when I wanted psytrance that sounded like it belonged in a Hell Raiser soundtrack. However, this would not dispel the misconception of Vampire music in any way, shape or form.