• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

An earthquake in Toronto! Did you feel that?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Wow that was unsettling. I could hear the plaster fall off the laths inside the walls of my house.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Automatic detection of seismic event: magnitude 4.8 - 17 May 9:43 EDT - BRAESIDE, ON region

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
I didn't feel it :-(

I've missed the last 3... damn! I want to see/feel one (without any damage or anyone getting hurt)

praktik

TRIBE Member
ha - totally did NOT feel that... but my building is on a subway - maybe the vibration absorbers they put on like, muted it or something?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
There was an aftershock ten minutes later:

Automatic detection of seismic event: magnitude 4.2 - 17 May 9:53 EDT - BRAESIDE, ON region

The Truth

TRIBE Member
Yes, 9:45 am
I though it was a big dump truck or something passing by because my house would never shake like that!

The Truth

TRIBE Member
Earthquake: 4.8 quake felt in Toronto, followed by 4.2 aftershock
Earthquake Canada confirms an earthquake occurred at 9:43 a.m. originating in the Ottawa Valley.
By: Alyshah Hasham News reporter, Published on Fri May 17 2013

Earthquake Canada has confirmed that a 4.8 magnitude earthquake originated in Braeside, Ont., in the Ottawa Valley at 9:43 a.m. Friday.

“It was obviously widely felt if it reached Toronto,” said seismologist John Adams of Earthquake Canada. He will be able to provide more information shortly.

The U.S. Geological Survey is reporting a 5.0 magnitude earthquake that originated 25 kilometres north-northeast of Shawville, Que. It was five kilometres deep, according to the USGS website.

Less than 10 minutes later, a 4.2-magnitude aftershock was also recorded.

The quake was felt in Toronto, Ottawa, Barrie and even Huron, Ohio, according to tweets.

“If you put ‘and then there was an earthquake’ in a piece of fiction about this week, the editor would cut it out as unbelievable,” noted Star politics reporter Susan Delacourt

Earthquake: 4.8 quake felt in Toronto, followed by 4.2 aftershock | Toronto Star

silver1

TRIBE Member
It's funny. They've been doing construction outside my office for the last week, and the building has been shaking off and on the last few days while they rip up the pavement with heavy machines. So this morning I just chalked it up to that.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
It's funny. They've been doing construction outside my office for the last week, and the building has been shaking off and on the last few days while they rip up the pavement with heavy machines. So this morning I just chalked it up to that.

That's like me.. We had jackhammers going on all week.. but this was different. I sit with my feet on the wheels of my chair and it was swerving.. so i would plant my feet on the ground and i wouldn't feel it, then would put my feet on the chair again.. I was wondering if it was an earthquake.. i checked FB and everyone was making comments. I remember we got one similar to that last year around this time. It's kind of scary bc we shouldn't get earthquakes.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
I was not well yesterday (and today), so took the day off.

Wrought Iron bed + earthquake = freaky. The whole bed was doing this whole slow shake. I looked over and saw my mirror shaking on the wall.

I also live in an old house and could hear things falling in the walls. Took me back to the old day of living in the Caribbean (a bit more eventful there though).

sk8

TRIBE Member
That's like me.. We had jackhammers going on all week.. but this was different. I sit with my feet on the wheels of my chair and it was swerving.. so i would plant my feet on the ground and i wouldn't feel it, then would put my feet on the chair again.. I was wondering if it was an earthquake.. i checked FB and everyone was making comments. I remember we got one similar to that last year around this time. It's kind of scary bc we shouldn't get earthquakes.
We get lots here - not the same as in the plate shifting areas, but it's more common than you think.

Earthquake zones in eastern Canada

I didn't feel it though :(

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories