• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

An attempt!

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Chiclet

It's only done in Reason, so the sounds are kinda cheesy.
hey, come now.. "only" done is reason¿ reason is one of the greatest programs out there, and capable of producing tracks as professional sounding as you're willing to make them.:)

I was in a floaty mood ok?
yes, yes you were. the track has kinda a chiclenfold feel to it. perhaps you could add a few more elements to it; throw some more effects in there, maybe some bass, and another layer of percussion would be swell indeed. eq tweaking, maybe some more controllers(ie. pan) on some o' the sounds..

if you're looking to get rid of that cheesy feel, either adjust the patches you're using, or add effects.. the proper effects will de-cheesify nearly anything.

it seems as though you've basically set up your various machines, recorded the track, and left the majority of the synth lines as is. just personal preference, but i find this leads to a sort of 'meh', sound. mayhaps now you could go back and throw all sorts of controllers in there.. all the machines have so many nice little knobs and sliders that are just begging to be used, and when used properly, they can be extremely effective. your best friends they will become.:D

all in all, shows great potential methinks, if you're going for that progressive, trance-esque breaks feel.
..i smell perfecto.. ;)

hysterical

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: An attempt!

Originally posted by docta seuss
reason is one of the greatest programs out there

ummmmmmmmmmmmm ?:rolleyes:
*Mike would have to disagree on that*
But thats a whole another thread.

Anyways, its a nice chill track. I agree that it needs some more work. You should put a gate on that snare w/ that killer amount of reverb, but again thats just my style.
The synth sounds are nice. How long have you been producing for? Do you play the piano or anything? Because its written well. I like it.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I like it.. it almost has a depeche mode feel to it. Your arangement is great.. the breakdowns you have for an *attempt* is impressive.. most people follow a linear pattern, but you got some dynamic arrangement in there. Try even removing a part you have that you may think goes too long and have just that rimshot, bassline & kick ride it for a while.

You need to refine your sounds a bit more. Your snare needs some fattening up.. an easy way to do this is add a plate or *near* short reverb to it. Your kick is what will make people bounce, so make sure you sculpt it.. even spend lots of time on it..
Give it some sub by increasing it's sub frequencies (80hz down) and it needs a snap.. so eq a tight top end on it.
You need elements of delay.. add some 3/4 delays in there. especially on the piano, it will give it a dimension that's not so linear (on beat) EQ your bassline to give it more sub too, or just ad a clean sub line in there. If you want to go the more trancy route, add a nice, heavily reverbed pad in there, but keep it's volume subtle so as just to add atmosphere.

Anyhow marcia.. you're doing great.. keep at it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
Nice track! Some thoughts:

I agree, its too long. I wouldn't stress over it too much though. I also thought that your drumming could use a pacing element. I picture a quiet, subtle, shuffling tamborine with a lot of variation on the velocity. Also some sort of solo would make this song even better IMO. I heard a few good places to put one in...I'm thinging something with the piano. Lots of delay, and bursts of faster high notes, then longer low ones.

All in all a good track. It sounds like you did your own sequencing too (no loops) which makes it that much more impressive. Rock on! :)

Chiclet

TRIBE Promoter
Thanks guys :)

OK, def. need more effects and pads for atmosphere... more peaks and valleys too with solos... will do.

hysterical, I don't play the piano... wish I did. Just kept playing notes until they sounded kind of right, lol.

Thanks Rob for advice with the drums. I'm really not that happy with them right now.

<--- got LOTS of knob twiddling to do

Please keep it coming. The more specific, the better!

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: An attempt!

Originally posted by hysterical
well :rolleyes: to your opinions as well, a-hole :D

but seriously, how many progs are better? name more than two and i'll be impressed.

let me save you some time...
cubase, and........?

sure, you could rattle off the names of a bunch of programs reliant upon VST plugins, but lets think outside the bun.

a few tweaks here and there, a few additional options, maybe added VST support, and you've got the ultimate software.. although rewire takes care of some o' that already.

i'm not saying reason's the best, but it would be in my top 2.
(talking about 2.5)

just my opinion, so here, i'll save you yet more time.. :rolleyes:

OTIS

TRIBE Member
C'mon guys.. to each his own. A pissing match about it is pointless.

Also Marcia, I can tell from opening it in soundforge that you havent applied any final compression or anything.. remember that this is a crucial step in your track's evolution, but again.. don't get ahead of yourself, just keep it in mind. However, if you can in Reason, fool around with applying compression to select instruments and effects.. it will make your tune breathe (there are some nice threads on applying compression in this forum, check them out). At the end of it all.. add lots of transitional swooshes, rolls, subtle atmospheres, and smashes.. they help your tune keep a listening interest and make it sound less repetitive. Try & make every 4 bars have something that sets it apart from the next.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

hysterical

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: An attempt!

Originally posted by docta seuss
well :rolleyes: to your opinions as well, a-hole :D

but seriously, how many progs are better? name more than two and i'll be impressed.

let me save you some time...
cubase, and........?

sure, you could rattle off the names of a bunch of programs reliant upon VST plugins, but lets think outside the bun.

a few tweaks here and there, a few additional options, maybe added VST support, and you've got the ultimate software.. although rewire takes care of some o' that already.

i'm not saying reason's the best, but it would be in my top 2.
(talking about 2.5)

just my opinion, so here, i'll save you yet more time.. :rolleyes:
Your right, reason is up there, ahve VST support and its a monster...........Project 5 looks like its goinjg to start cripping in on Reason, never used it but the reviews are pretty insane.And Docta Seuss this is for you........................

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

*Just joking around*:D

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
I agree with most the posts that the track is good but needs to be a little shorter. Perhaps a few minor fills to add some interest on the odd 64 for the drums... I do like the programing on the drums though.....As you said you have not EQ'd the track yet I think a few little tricks on a multi track could make it sing and sparkle....

but in short I think it has a great potential and must say you have the most important part of it down...."Musicality"

just my two cents

leisure

TRIBE Promoter
sounds good! from your description of it i expected much less but i was very impressed. besides asking for technical help just keep forging your own style - you are well on your way!

as for reason i'd have to argue the top 2 thing. Besides going to tape, Pro Tools would have to head the list, and then there is Logic, Digital Performer, Cubase, Nuendo, etc etc but hey who cares really it is just a matter of taste

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by janko

as for reason i'd have to argue the top 2 thing. Besides going to tape, Pro Tools would have to head the list, and then there is Logic, Digital Performer, Cubase, Nuendo, etc etc but hey who cares really it is just a matter of taste
Yup it really is prefference to a certain degree and sound is a bit of a factor in some of the programs....
Tape is not all equal and often lacks control unless you are running one channel with time signals and have a list of automation tools to make use of it....

Costs are defn an issue of tape. Anyone price good quality 3 inch tape lately for say min of? Its not cheap...

leisure

TRIBE Promoter
it's a bloody fortune not to mention the cost of a machine and that is why not too many producers today use them. I did a record to tape once (at a rented studio) and the sound was far superior to any hard disk recording I ever did. The warmth & quality of tape is superior (compare recordings from the 60s - 80s to now) but the convienience factor is definitely low. Man the things that ole skool producers had to think of to pull off making records was ingenious whereas we open a plugin or automate a fader. A combo of tape/computer I think is best so that you don't lose the analog warmth but can take advantage of all of today's gadgets. But I think this post was about something else...cheers!

Last edited:

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
^ I guess you have never tried something like the Gennex System in DSD or a Sadie... Way superior to tape. Its like tape with out the artifacts or tape compression, distortion, and just such a transparent sound that it is just "more there"... Of course not to mention the dynamic range differences.. But tape done well is dope still. Esp 1 ich tape ran at 15ips on a studer a80 or something tweaked by some dudes like Tim DeParvacini from EAR.

Costs you can't argue as its through the roof.

leisure

TRIBE Promoter
thanks for the tip...i will check out those systems as I am looking to step beyond my mac but not have to sell my soul to do so

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
you might want to check out the mergings audio system to. I think its the best at the moment, out side of hardware...

www.merging.com
I think sonotechnique sells it here in Toronto.

Defn is better than Ptools.

Ya selling a soul is usually part of the plan...

leisure

TRIBE Promoter
^ will do (i'm still an analog kinda guy but Satan refused my latest offer)

btw...sorry to jack your thread Chiclet! : )

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: An attempt!

Originally posted by hysterical
But thats a whole another thread.

Anyways, its a nice chill track. I agree that it needs some more work. You should put a gate on that snare w/ that killer amount of reverb, but again thats just my style.
The synth sounds are nice. How long have you been producing for? Do you play the piano or anything? Because its written well. I like it.
It's not the car that wins the race it's the Driver!

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
Back on track (no pun intended)

I'm really finding it hard to believe that you have no musical training as the melodic nature of this song is great! It's stunning in fact. It may be a tad to forward in the mix though.

The drum programming suits the style of the track. Atmospherics are very nice.

A sharper snare and removing a bit of the delay/reverb on some of the elements may clean up the mix a bit.

The bassline is subtle, but maybe a little bit too subtle.

As stated before, the arrangement is there (albeit long) - now it comes down to the EQing, FX, Compression/Limiting/Expanding.

I would recommend that you look into a different program from Reason to do that in.

I love Reason to death for a lot of reasons, but to really tweak your audio, it's not quite there yet.

If you get a hold of a digital audio sequencer like Cubase or Logic or Digital Performer etc., you can either slave Reason to it and then use all the fun toys within the Big Brother sequencer to effect the audio from Reason.

Or you can export each instrument from reason in a singular audio track and load them into the audio sequencer and go from there.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories