• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

an angry review of ferdinand/cutie... with some good points...

synchronizator

TRIBE Member
just got home from ricoh...
which is the worst concert venue i've ever seen. EVER.

didn't catch the cribs... some girl said we didn't miss much, and i probably agree...

girly girls and girly guys EVERYWHERE.... some anorexic bitch sitting next to me kept leaving and going down to talk to security about getting backstage... GET OVER YOURSELF AND EAT A SANDWICH...

franz comes on...
i gotta say, they really know how to blast it live, i don't really like them, they're not my fave band, but it was AGONIZING trying to watch them hype up a crowd that simply couldn't have cared less because everyone was so brought down by

A: how crappy the acoustics and sound was
B: how crappy the venue was altogether
and C: how fucking rude the people who worked there were

they played for an hour, it was a great set, all the hits, ya da ya da ya da...
alex (lead singer) is hilarious, cracked some jokes, sang well live, but the crowd wasn't into it... felt bad for the band who is best known for hyping the crowds up..
no encore.... very surprised about that since they were co-headliners... someone mentioned to me that group shows aren't allowed to encore...
but i was wrong...

lights up, lights down, enter death cab for cutie.... the band i went to see....

enter ben... sitting down at his keyboards, begins to play a sullen and beautiful song then goes into different names for the same things... the show starts...
they sounded amazing... they're the musicians musicians... great players, great artists, great voices of despair and happiness through lyrics...

about halfway through their second song, the fire alarm comes on...
the most ANNOYING fire alarm ever... they all look at each other like, "dude, what the hell??" and continue playing... end of the song, ben speaks up and questions aloud what the noise was... someone tells him, he laughs, and hopes to god someone turns it off soon...
it turns off...
they begin their song...
no wait.
oh, there it is again...

i'm about to kill someone... i spent 60 bucks x 3 on tickets for a venue that blew, and now the fire alarm goes off and they can't bypass it until the firefighters get there...
which took like fifteen minutes it seemed... what if there was a fire dumbasses!!!!!!! anyways... finally it ends, the show goes on, they play some wicked tunes...
highlights? a tech comes out and sets up a mini drum kit... ben sits down and they just fucking go at it, DOUBLE DRUM ACTION.. completely together, not a beat behind or ahead, it was amazing... utterly jaw dropping...
show ends, lights still down..
an encore?? yes there was... he starts with a sweet rendition of follow you into the dark... they go into another tune, and end the encore with my favourite song transatlanticism... of course i cry when he starts singing the words "i need you so much closer" and i grab my roommates hand and think of... well, i think of personal things...

all i cared about was getting to hear that song live (well not all, but most)
and i did, and it made the night of horrors and bad sound seem like dust in the wind...

(all we are is dust in the wind... lol)

good show, bad venue...
don't go see shows at ricoh...

SRM

TRIBE Member
What was excatly wrong with the venue itself?

thinking of going to the strokes on may 6th

sam

TRIBE Member
SRM said:
What was excatly wrong with the venue itself?

thinking of going to the strokes on may 6th
I saw Kraftwerk at the Ricoh and had no complaints about the sound or otherwise....

oeretS

TRIBE Member
dude that venue sucks, it's a pure cash grab and it's a shame bands even get booked to play there. i saw Pixies and Jimmy Eat World (don't ask) there and while the bands were good, the venue is basically sticking it's middle finger up at you as you try to hear what's being played.

didn't catch this show, but i like "soul meets body", dunno much else by death cab for cuite but they seem like a pretty good band. ferdinand, well i have no clue why anyone would pay to see them but to each their own

LCB

TRIBE Member
Cash grab is right, "First 1800 people in the door get floor seats", regardless of whether you'd had tickets before the venue change.

Or, should I say, regardless of whether you *picked up* your tickets before the venue change. If you used the convenience of on-line purchase, then didn't pick your tickets up prior to them deciding they could sell some more if they moved the show to a hockey arena, you were SOL. (It's convenient because of the convenience charge!)

Oh, and drinking outside of the rink/stands in a little fenced off area, where the music could be kind-of-heard and not seen? Wicked.

However, killer set list, Gibbard handled the fire alarm as well as could be expected, nice show all in all.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

DJAlchemy

TRIBE Promoter
I had a fucking blast! The sound was fine from the floor! No problems getting in, drank enough shitty molson beer, danced my ass off with some friends. Franz and Death Cab were both what I expected. The fire alarm was annoying, but shit happens... maybe it was all the indoor smoking? I saw Kraftwerk there last year as well, and have no complaints about the venue.

D

ian

TRIBE Member
Bean said:
same here.
Me too! Weird. Maybe Kraftwerk brought in their own sound? Or had a better sound guy? Because that was some of the best concert sound I've heard since Pink Floyd. I just assumed it was always that good there. I also thought it was a super nice clean venue. . . and it was great to be able to get booze during the concert! I kinda wanted to go last night, but I'm suddenly on a HUGE budget. I may even need to remove Stella from my menu : (

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
I saw Death Cab Dec 17 in Chicago with Hot Hot Heat & The Psychadelic Furs and claiming Death Cab are "the musicians musicians" is so bang on... they give 'er so hard on stage and are tight as all hell all the way through it, never a note missed, never off key.

I can picture how pissed I would have been if the alarm went off and I was there... I am really sorry to hear about that.

Glad it was good though

thom100

TRIBE Member
Bean said:
same here.

I would agree.

I shot Kraftwerk from the soundboard on the floor and Fraz last time they were in town. Thought the sound was great and it was a great venue for those show that need a not quite stadium.

I had no clue the Death cab were headlining and the show was so early. D and I wondered down to see if we could get some cheap scalper tix at 9:30 to find the show was just about over and Franz played first. Oh well.

synchronizator

TRIBE Member
the venue is pathetic... it's a friggen hockey arena to the ghetto degree... i felt so bad that they had to play there..

the floor thing? THAT WAS RETARDED...
then again i don't think i would've wanted to be ON the floor with all the five year olds who were down there...

ginsu

TRIBE Member
thom100 said:
would you really have rathered the shoe be at the Docks?
I saw FF last time at Ricoh too and was disappointed with the sound. The place seemed cavernous and half empty. I was up in the seats, but even then, they weren't that bad.

I think a venue with more intimacy would be better for a band like FF.

synchronizator

TRIBE Member
ginsu said:
I saw FF last time at Ricoh too and was disappointed with the sound. The place seemed cavernous and half empty. I was up in the seats, but even then, they weren't that bad.

I think a venue with more intimacy would be better for a band like FF.
i agree...
cavernous and half empty describes it perfectly...
i was there to see DCFC, and i hope they come back sooner than later and play somewhere smaller, like lee's or even kool haus... and it better be a 19+ show...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

bmoneyhoney

TRIBE Member
thom100 said:
would you really have rathered the shoe be at the Docks?

I caught Franz Ferdinand at the docks the last time they were here. Or should I say, I didn't see them. It was packed and we got there late. I spent most of the night outside with my friends. At least at the Ricoh Centre I got a seat and could see the band from where I was sitting. It was also way easier to get home from the Ricoh Centre than it would have been from the Docks!

b

thom100

TRIBE Member
bmoneyhoney said:
I caught Franz Ferdinand at the docks the last time they were here. Or should I say, I didn't see them. It was packed and we got there late. I spent most of the night outside with my friends. At least at the Ricoh Centre I got a seat and could see the band from where I was sitting. It was also way easier to get home from the Ricoh Centre than it would have been from the Docks!

b
exactly the dock has no sight lines at all.

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
sam said:
I saw Kraftwerk at the Ricoh and had no complaints about the sound or otherwise....
ditto. the sound at Kraftwerk was absolutely incredible. crisp highs, deep bass... downright impressive for a venue of that size. not sure what happened in this instance other than it was probably the band's/tour equipment set-up which was sub-par?

d

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
i saw kraftwerk at RICOH, and i can't see any problem with it.
the sounds was great...and it's a super-big arena, so it's not ridiculously impersonal.

perhaps the problem was that DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE are lame as sin.

think about it...no one got hyped up for franz ferdinand, because the people who like DEATH CAB are all sullen little cry-babies who don't know how to have fun.

franz & death cab = poor combo.
death cab should open for ROD STEWART or COLDPLAY or something.

Jonesy

TRIBE Member
sweetdaddy said:
i saw kraftwerk at RICOH, and i can't see any problem with it.
the sounds was great...and it's a super-big arena, so it's not ridiculously impersonal.

perhaps the problem was that DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE are lame as sin.

think about it...no one got hyped up for franz ferdinand, because the people who like DEATH CAB are all sullen little cry-babies who don't know how to have fun.

franz & death cab = poor combo.
death cab should open for ROD STEWART or COLDPLAY or something.
well, the sounds were not great this time.
as for the 'poor combo' you suggest as the main culprit, nah.
it was more the FIRE ALARM.