• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

american splendour

vox

TRIBE Member
is probably one of the best movies i've seen all year.

it's a perfect little movie...great acting, cast, story, attitude.

yay!
 

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i have been fucking raving about this flick since it came out in theatres. i totally adore it.
and i think the casting was totally spot-on.
 

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
next to city of god and L.I.T. it is def. my choice...didn't expect the cartoon/live juxta but it totally worked and made it fun...keep your eye on this guy!, I thought he was FANTASTIC is Storytelling but this is his breakthrough...as a comic fan myself I fell for his character and by the end you pull for him...nice little ending too:)
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Paul Giamatti is probably one of the most underrated talents out there today. I saw him in this and Confidence (which I thought was really good as well), and am now beginning to realize in just how many films he's been in.
 

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
it has a great website too.

i saw Confidence on the plane and thought it was a piece of shit. maybe it was the editing (which is particularly heavy handed for in-flight movies), but the whole thing just seemed really weak.
 

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
he caught my eye in safemen and even private parts...I don't know, he has a Phillip Seymour hoffman thing goin' on...a lot of loser roles that make you feel the characters...obviously it's the patience in the way they're played, these 2 have that innocence to them
 

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
it has a great website too.

i saw Confidence on the plane and thought it was a piece of shit. maybe it was the editing (which is particularly heavy handed for in-flight movies), but the whole thing just seemed really weak.
shouldn't overshadow the fact that Giammati was probably good in it ;) ...im sure he was decent(haven't seen it yet)
 

vox

TRIBE Member
this movie kicks lost in translation's ass two ways to tuesday.

this and willard are my top picks.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i dont really know if thats a fair comparison!
both AS and LIT explore the themes of alienation and loneliness in a pretty bang-on way... but they're still 2 very different beasts.

both flims really stuck with me for months after watching them.

so basically i'm being switzerland and saying they both rule.
 

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vox
is probably one of the best movies i've seen all year.

it's a perfect little movie...great acting, cast, story, attitude.

yay!
Ya I thought it was good because its not the same old happy ending HollyWood Cliche Shit that is stuck down our throats.

On the flip side that dude defn has paid his dues and make you kinda think hmmmm maybe it does not always work out.


:cool:
 

bboyrds

TRIBE Member
Best line in that flick:

"You should try believing in something bigger than yourself. It might cheer you up."
 

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by terrawrist III
he caught my eye in safemen and even private parts...I don't know, he has a Phillip Seymour hoffman thing goin' on...
Phillip Seymour Hoffman owns! I love every character that he plays. He was brilliant in Happiness.

*c*
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
I was watching Tim Burton's travesty (Planet Of The Apes) on TV late last night thinking about hom Paul Giamatti is often the best thing in crappy movies. I really like him as an actor, have for a long time.

I liked "American Splendour" a lot.
 

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
im REALLY tempted to buy the american splnedor comic graphic novel at chapters...like 30 bucks I think, well worth it though(that means I can't get WATCHMEN!!)
 

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
This was out in 2003? Seems like so long ago when I saw it in the theatres. I thought the movie was ok, definitely not spectacular though. It was way too slow for my liking.

Whoever said it kicks Lost In Translation's ass, I liked Lost In Translation much better. ;)
 

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
i dont really know if thats a fair comparison!
both AS and LIT explore the themes of alienation and loneliness in a pretty bang-on way... but they're still 2 very different beasts.

both flims really stuck with me for months after watching them.

so basically i'm being switzerland and saying they both rule.
that's how I feel with AS.and city of god...apples/oranges...to much good stuff to say about both to divide them
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

ChROmE

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KickIT
Phillip Seymour Hoffman owns! I love every character that he plays. He was brilliant in Happiness.

*c*
Word. Owning Mahoney was great and Loving Liza ( I think that's what its called) both rank high on my list. Hoffman made those movies.
 

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChROmE
Word. Owning Mahoney was great and Loving Liza ( I think that's what its called) both rank high on my list. Hoffman made those movies.
SO hard to see his paint sniffing addiction go that far:( ...few actors would have pulled it off(perhaps giamatti, I can see him in that role)
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Top