• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

amateur night @ system

DJAlchemy

TRIBE Promoter
Wow.. what a different crowd, it felt like a time warp back about 3 years ago at some underground party that I probably shouldn't have been allowed into.

I really went to check out the new renovations in progress (and hang with some mates I haven't seen in a while) and here's what I have to say so far.

1. It does feel like a brand new club, though mostly because any sense of familiarity is gone with the placement of the new DJ booth.

2. The vip room (I preseume) right at the entrance is a little too bright, and not really as cozy as it used to be.

3. The sound system was 10 times better, and apparently its only 1/3rd completed.

4. There was a lot of unfinished space that I can only speculate about.. i.e the old VIP room I imagine will become some kind of chill lounge with couches, etc. I have no idea what the back room will look like, though I'm sure it will be radically different.

5. Please tell me that you'll let Mychol Holtzman work his magic. Since I became a system regualr, I've seen him work his magic and completely transform the club with the use of odd materials and his creative eye. This man is a genius and I hope he will continue to be part of System's legacy!

Peace. D

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

JAR

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DJAlchemy

5. Please tell me that you'll let Mychol Holtzman work his magic. Since I became a system regualr, I've seen him work his magic and completely transform the club with the use of odd materials and his creative eye. This man is a genius and I hope he will continue to be part of System's legacy!

Peace. D

I'll be sure to tell Mychol what you said - he'll appreciate the kind words. I know that he has TONS of incredible ideas for the space, and if given the right amount of creative freedom, he will indeed work his magic as he has done so many times before.

<<<< HYPED to see the new, completed space!

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Re:sidents night @ system

It is not an amateur night !

It is a resident's night man.

I was there and here is what I have to say about what I saw.

The place looks much more spaceous and it honestly gave me this sort of throwback feelig of going into twilo. Because how wide the main room is and those pillars that it has that are now white, I think twilo had smilar pilars but a different colour. Anyways, that is what I thought of the place right away when I saw it, the main room that is.
Regardless, a big big round of congratulations to all of the dj's that I saw spin yesterday. However, special prasie to Jon Tremblay, very very good set man!. I was very impressed, it was very groovey and it had a wicked pace, unusual for an opening night slot. If he would have stepped it up a notch higher it would have become relentless and it would have ceased to be the groovey, thumpy, progressive and very fluid set that it was. I had a really good time to most of the tunes you played, your closer was also pretty good, it sounded like a grayarea track...not that it was but in form it sounded like breakbeat influenced track with very melodic influence and a great bassline. I think that was the closing track, regardless Jon T's set was very good, fluid and very groovey, the tracks just seemed to go well with each other and people in the crowd responded well to them. There was a track at around 12:30 that you threw down that it had a wicked bassline with a really good buildup..anyways..forget about it now, I can't really describe the track.
I really liked Matt Coleridge's set too, when I saw him spin he was playing what I can only define as tech-house/tech electro influence set and then it moved on from there. Also!, big praise to the dj that was in that room with the red light by the exit sign, I guess that is the new v.i.p room. Anyways, the dj there started playing a very very good set of head trance, I am talking like Sasha and Digweed style of trance, like very deep stuff at times then he moved into house territory and he had everyone dancing!. It was a great set...I don't know the dj's name but he was playing at around 1:00 and when we left at around 2:15 am he was still delivering.

Anyways, the place doesn't look like it is full of weirdo's as people have said. Maybe this is my perception of things but I found people in there just regular party goers, I mean, there were a couple of sketchy and very weird looking people with googley type of eyes but is not like the whole club was full of this type of people. I found the crowd to be like the same type of crowd that I have encountered at many other clubs not only here in T.O. but anywhere else, just looking for a good time.

Last edited:

DJAlchemy

TRIBE Promoter
my apologies, I understand the title may be confusing now. The music was good and started picking up around midnight. Jon's opening set was rather fluttery with lots of curves, and I left around 2am when Matt was starting to get into it.

The 'amateur night' refrence was to the people and the crowd.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
my apologies, I understand the title may be confusing now. The music was good and started picking up around midnight. Jon's opening set was rather fluttery with lots of curves, and I left around 2am when Matt was starting to get into it.

The 'amateur night' refrence was to the people and the crowd.

ha ha ha

Ah.. I see.

anyways, I really liked jon's set and I just wanted people to get a sense of what I heard. I like it too.

The crowd was alright.

DJAlchemy

TRIBE Promoter
Yeah man, I've really been diggin all kinds of proggy breaks lately and I've been listening to anything I can get my hands on. Meat Katie is my fav so far. must meat kaite.

ps> boo to DG for ditching and going to element!

todiefor

TRIBE Promoter
jon tremblay killed it in the front room - really sick, coleridge's electroy style set ws mad dirty, i was eating it up. and the tall guy that went on after coleridge was dropping some pretty good shit too. not a very big crowd but the music was excellent, I thought. a little different.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member

ps> boo to DG for ditching and going to element!

seriously boo to me, there was tons of hot sausage at system, I cant believe I let those fuckers drag me off to stupid element after being at system for 10 mins. what a crock!!
:mad:

Jon Tremblay

TRIBE Member
Thank you all that attended. I had a great time playing alongside Coleridge whom had a solid set, and Jerome was closing things nicely. It's always a treat for me to play with such great local talent.

The front room was awesome as well, Tim definetly rocked it out when I peaked my head at the end of my set. Craig played some pounding beats as Deep Groove at the very end of the night which kept the crowd jumping t'ill the very end.

What did you guys think of the sound? And for those of you that didn't make it...System now has two huge stacks of sound on both sides of the main booth. Pretty much the equivalent of the old sound system in two stacks.....and it's only the beginning.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Dirty Girl
there was tons of hot sausage at system

You crack me up woman. :D

Jon played a great opening set. It's too bad more people weren't dancing. They all looked like zombies standing on the dance floor. Oh well.

And what was the name of the track that Matt opened up with. I loved it!

IgStar

TRIBE Member
Re: Re:sidents night @ system

Originally posted by chipotle
. Also!, big praise to the dj that was in that room with the red light by the exit sign, I guess that is the new v.i.p room. Anyways, the dj there started playing a very very good set of head trance, I am talking like Sasha and Digweed style of trance, like very deep stuff at times then he moved into house territory and he had everyone dancing!. It was a great set...I don't know the dj's name but he was playing at around 1:00 and when we left at around 2:15 am he was still delivering.

his name is TIM VIZEAU :D

Jon Tremblay

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re:sidents night @ system

Originally posted by Indian Girl
his name is TIM VIZEAU :D

I'm so happy you guys like Tim's set, that was the second time I brought him up to play and I'm sure there will be a third time.