• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Am I missing something here? (long distance question)

RJ45

TRIBE Member
Ok, I live in Hamilton, and I can call Oakville locally.. no long distance. My girlfriend lives in Toronto, and she can also call Oakville locally. So, if I change my phone number to an Oakville number, does that mean that she can call me from Toronto when I'm in Hamilton, and there'll be no long distance charges? That can't be right.. it seems like cheating. It also means that my local calling area is anywhere from Hamilton to Toronto! Talk about a big roaming area.

If this were to work, it would save me tons of cash. But somehow there must be something wrong with this..

:confused:

Last edited:

jus me

TRIBE Member
is this a cell phone you're talking about? I'm guessing it is, since you said roaming area....

I have a 416 area cell number, but whenever I travel (out of the city), the person who calls me doesn't get charged long distance, however *I* do.

RJ45

TRIBE Member
Yeah, it's my Rogers cell phone, which is currently a Hamitlon number. When I'm outside of Hamilton/Burlington, ie: anywhere I can call locally when I'm in Hamilton, I get long distance charges too for incoming calls. But, if I'm inside my calling area, I don't pay long distance for incoming calls of any variety. SO.. if Oakville can call both Hamilton and Toronto locally (which I verified today by having us both call an Oakville number from our apartments), does that mean that Oakville's local calling area is anywhere from Toronto to Hamilton?

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
The phone company(ies) is screwed.
It's local for me to call Pickering or Mississauga, but Newmarket is Long distance. (I live in Markham)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Boo

TRIBE Member
As far as Bell is concerned its actually long distance from Oakville to TO.

My ex gf lived in Oakville and it was lond distance from the Hammer to Oakville.

Burlington, however, is local to both Hamilton and Oakville, and I think toronto. I know that Hamilton is the worst place in the GTA for local calling area.

Its long distance from Hamilton to Brantford and Oakville, yet Oakville to Markham is local.

I'm originally from Milton and its long distance from Hamilton to Milton too, but local to Burlington. I got a burlington cell number so both Milton and Hamilton were local calls. I'm not sure about the GTA coverage from burlington, as Hamilton is 2 hops (in telecom speak from toronto)

RJ45

TRIBE Member
Actually I was born in Burlington and I've lived all over the country.

Calling cards are too much hassle. I want to pick up my phone and call someone, not call a computer and then enter a PIN and then this and then that and then the other thing and then call someone.

Anyway, got the info I needed elsewhere. "Ask Tribe" has failed me!!

Balzz

TRIBE Member
If you're switching areas (NPA/Nxx) ... there is no cost. Your billing adress has nothing to do with the area you cell phone is based in.