• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Alternatives to Rogers for Cable Internet?

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Ok, so Rogers called and is threatening to cancel my service for "excessive bandwidth usage".. the story is they haven't bugged me until I linked a bunch of photos off their complimentary web space which ended up getting a huge amount of hits. Since then, they've locked my email accounts and now are calling threatening me with cancellation if I don't curb my BW. I'm fully prepared to lessen my downloading habits; however, I'm not prepared to be on their black list now constantly being harassed if I set off a bandwidth alarm that's triggered by some arbitrary definition of "unlimited". So I'm asking your guys if there is any good alternative to Rogers in the downtown core. I don't have a home phone line and am not prepared to pay for one, so what are the options for cable based intarweb for T.Dot?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

lok

TRIBE Member
Steal their cable.

Can you get Cogeco downtown? I checked my postal code but no dice.

deep

TRIBE Member
afaik there is no other cable interweb provider.

if you had a phone jack, you could get dsl from any provider.

www.canadianisp.com and the canadian forums at broadbandreports.com would be worth checking out.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by I_bRAD
Please post the link to your pics while I think about it.

They are down, my account is locked. It was actually the ones I posted in the 'Beauty Of Total Destruction' thread. So thanks Tribe for breaking my intarweb.

Deep, that sucks.. although one IS installed, I *never* use a home phone line... so paying for one is kind of out of the question.

Do I have to have an active residential home service to get a DSL connection?

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
You need a phone line to get DSL.

My old roommate is with Nothing But Net and has the 3Mb service and leeches all the time and has a webserver, e-mail, etc setup...

Where I run http://pr0nstar.org off of currently.

$69 / month unlimited, no caps, etc..

pr0nstar

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
3web, it kicks ass I think, unlless you have ME, or just my ME.

Same speed almost 50% off. check it out and never look back.

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS

I think so. Maybe sympatico has something where the cost of the phone line is put into your internet charges, and you aren't charged for a full on phone account. They're no caps now too, which is putting a lot of pressure on smaller ISP's who so far have only had that as a selling point.

Rob, I'm willing to bet someone took the pictures you posted in that thread and sent it around in an email forward or posted it elsewhere. That's a great way to get bandwidth use run up to crazy amounts. If you could get access to your logs (which you probably can't) , you could see what web sites people were coming from when they were browsing your pics.

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
They are down, my account is locked. It was actually the ones I posted in the 'Beauty Of Total Destruction' thread. So thanks Tribe for breaking my intarweb.

teehee
teh nukes nuked your account

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep

Rob, I'm willing to bet someone took the pictures you posted in that thread and sent it around in an email forward or posted it elsewhere. That's a great way to get bandwidth use run up to crazy amounts. If you could get access to your logs (which you probably can't) , you could see what web sites people were coming from when they were browsing your pics.

Yeah.. I don't think theyd want to talk to me now let alone give me access to logs.

Is this just a hunch you have?

I'll look into symcraptico anyway.. although they bug the shit out of me.

deep

TRIBE Member
It's something I found out the hard way . Someone sees something posted here, puts the pics in an email or posts it on another board, bam, overnight 5 gigs of traffic. Happened with a couple things I've posted. People are fucking stupid, they think bandwidth is free, they know how to copy and paste but not that they should host stuff themselves if they plan on showing it to their friends or posting it anywhere the original poster didn't intend.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member

I think you probably do, but I'm willing to bet phone line+sympatico is cheaper than cable+cable internet.

You could skimp out on some of the charges like "touch tone service" You'd think that would be included at this point :confused:

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by I_bRAD
I think you probably do, but I'm willing to bet phone line+sympatico is cheaper than cable+cable internet.

You could skimp out on some of the charges like "touch tone service" You'd think that would be included at this point :confused:

I don't subscribe to cable TV.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
my brother and his roommates got the same thread from rogers.
i'll let you know what provider they decide to go with.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Basic phone line is $22 / month.
That's what I have... it depends on the area, some are a bit more/less...

pr0nstar

Adam

TRIBE Member
Otis, do you have a rough idea what your average bandwidth usage is?

I am a total bandwidth whore, and I've never heard from Rogers. (AFAIK, there's no online tool for measuring your bandwidth through Rogers)

I left a BitTorrent session up over the christmas holidays, and by the time I got back, I had sent over 22 gigs worth of data out. I was definitely expecting a call there, but nothing.

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
I did 4Gb in a day on Rogers and never got a call/e-mail.

pr0nstar :D

I've never had complaints or calls or anything from rogers... generally I'd say I download around 5-6 gigs a week, but I've had some crazy downloading sprees (12 gigs in 48 hours).

Noone cares at rogers. Its awesome, unless you blow your webspace.