• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

ALMOST HUMAN - new sci-fi buddy-robocop/bladerunner type show

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
the first episode of this show was excellent. one of the most promising premieres in recent memory. i only wish that 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' had started off this strong.

the production value is outstanding. the plot and dialogue is strong. most importantly, they manage to make the audience care about the two protagonists quickly and effectively. karl urban and michael ealy are excellent in this, and the supporting cast of quirky characters (the wise female police chief, the robot-loving mad scientist and the hottie from friday night lights) have lots of potential.

the second episode is on tonight.

if you missed it, you should try to catch in on demand or torrent or stream it from the fox website.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Unfortunately I only caught the first 20 min and had to turn it off. I share your feelings though. Amazing start, especially compared to Shield.

I do have the rest pvr'd and look forward to completing the episode tonight.

I really liked the main character from RED so this should only get better.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Klubmasta, you should check out the UK show Misfits - it is a superhero/sci fi show that puts superpowers in a more real and urban context - delinquents with superpowers FTW!

stryker

TRIBE Member
dammnit!...hopefully this is on iTunes tonight. It looks good. I'm not sure who I feel about the actor playing the robot but anything with Karl Urban get's the benefit of the doubt.

stew

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

lobo

TRIBE Member
Watched the premier last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Will need to catch the second episode tonight if I get a chance.

Lobo

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
episode 2 was not quite as good as episode 1, but the show has a lot of potential. i think the producers broke the budget on episode 1, which is why the production value and effects seemed on par with movies. episode 2 showed less of the futuristic city, had less flying cars, etc.

the sex-bot storyline of episode 2 was okay, but was less compelling than the syndicate storyline that started in the premiere. i guess the writers want to set the stage, having each episode deal with a stand-alone story while the syndicate storyline gets touched on periodically as the continuing big bad of the season.

they are doing a great job developing the relationship between kennex and dorian. great banter and believable emotional depth.

this is only new show of the season that i have found worth following. the reviews are excellent, so hopefully the ratings are good and the show has legs.

acheron

TRIBE Member
I too enjoyed the pilot episodes. The show makes me a little uneasy, though. The cast are mostly forgettable b-list actors which is either a blessing or a curse. No standouts save for the lead Karl Urban, who I really enjoy. His android buddy is pretty cool too.

Also I can't stand Lily Taylor as the chief... she is a high-risk actress for just about any show. Her episodes as Nate's former wife Lisa in Six Feet Under were sometimes painful to watch.

The show is peppered with references to genre-defining films - Blade Runner and Robocop being the most obvious... the first half even had buddy sitting at a chinese noodle counter in the rain. Relatively high production value is a real plus - it shows the producers want this thing to succeed. I hope they stay with it and let some decent writers jump on it once the thing is oked for a season.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it was OK, but I cringe when sci fi show producers copy Bladerunner created visuals to try to set future mood - the outdoor asian restaurant/ food court in the rain lit with neon... for fucks sake! The transparent umbrellas...

Think of something original!

How about an East Indian restaurant when its snowing, lit by LED lights, or a Jamaican jerk restaurant lit with patio lanterns with some other kind of precipitation - go out on a limb with hail even.

Jeez.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
I liked it.

i liked it much more than pretty much any new show i have seen come out in awhile.

its gritty, it's kind of raw, technology is not all encompassing and they are not living in a locked down police state that exists in the future of continuum.

i like the android with feelings, i like that he seems to be the rational one for being an irrational android.

few little things that seem to exist in any show( BATMAN VOICE ) hahahah but easily overlooked compared to the other shit thats out there. haven't seen the second ep yet, so will see how much its still grips me after that, but i have to say, not really disappointed at all.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

derek

TRIBE Member
i hereby ban anyone from using robocop/blade runner in the same sentence.

i like robocop but for different reasons and would never put it in the same class as blade runner even for descriptive reasons

i will check out this show though, thanks

stryker

TRIBE Member
Got home as fast as I could last night to load this up on iTunes.

I was really impressed. Abrams makes damn good tv. The production quality was great and the action was high paced. Karl Urban is great playing the surly technophobic cop. I wasn't sure about Dorian during the trailers. He seemed too pretty, like a soap opera actor but it works, especially when compared to the new units.

KMW's comments about ep2 have me a little worried. I'm really rooting for this one.

Hopefully they'll get rid of the police chief, I don't think she was a good casting choice. They need someone grittier or more serious. Like Broyles from Fringe.

Stew :)

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
having not seen the second ep yet, im not sure that she should be replaced.

police cheifs always come across as hard and weathered and being that person that will come down on you, and i find that depiction very underwhelming and old.

She is the chief of police that has under her expendable androids that protect them, do many things/functions that humans dont do as well.

in the setting, it seems to be that the Chief in a world where they humans are almost coddled due to their inferior strength, mortality etc, the only real thing required is a good mind to manage and put together the things that the new units cannot do.

so i think she was not poorly cast at all, and considering that Dorian has the ability to rationalize and reason and feel, if his version of the units were not subject to emotional instability, humans on the force would be pretty much non existent.

i think she deserves a chance, and to see what they do with her character.

cant wait for second episode.

lobo

TRIBE Member
Second episode was actually alright although not as engaging as the first one. Loving the banter between the two and I'd love to know more about how the androids came into being integrated into society. Like are they only used for the police and sex trade or are there maids/servants but only for the rich?

Lobo

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I also like the second episode but for different reasons... The Sci Fi! Flash Spray, DNA bombs, conceptual stuff you don't see today that you may see some day in the future. These kind of speculative future products in the story are what makes Sci Fi different from regular dramas or cop shows and I hope they do more of it. Sci Fi is way more than the standard flying car shot, it is about the way people live in the future, and the imagined products make that extra special.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Second episode didnt disappoint ! really hope the show stays on point, as mentioned above, their conceptualized tech is quite good, not too far fetched for the viewer to imagine that its possible.

yay to new quality sci fi show hopefully !!!

lobo

TRIBE Member
I think *some* of the new tech is possible. Think about it. This is taking place 35 years into the future. Now think about how much has changed in our society/world in just the last 10 years let alone the last 30 years. Looking forward to the rest of the episodes.

Lobo

alison87

TRIBE Member
I kinda liked the second episode better than the first because it went in a more traditional police procedural direction. We already have a grand conspiracy future cop story in Continuum (which the first episode reminded me a lot of), and since that show didn't go down the procedural route like i thought it was going to there's still a niche to be filled. This show is right up there with Continuum and Orphan Black for me. I love that 20 minutes into the future cyberpunky stuff. Very promising. I hope it keeps the bleak attitude and our heroes don't get love interests and kids and all that cheesy Falling Skies/Revolution family melodrama.

My favorite shot was the opening shot of the pilot, one of those plasma guns through a FPS perspective. So sexy. Nerdgasm. I love the Terminator vision too, though that's been done well since Sarah Connor Chronicles. The FPS shot has been attempted in video game movies but this was the first time it was jaw-droppingly effective for me. 10 points for the cinematographer.

stryker

TRIBE Member
Saw the 2nd episode last night. Like it just as much as the first episode. Sure the effects were toned down, but I gotta say I was really impressed with how they portrayed the sexbot. I think they've managed (so far) to successfully pull off the creepy, empty android bit.

the dynamic between Dorian and Kennex is great.

jai....i can totally see your POV on the Chief but I'm still on the fence about her....

stew :)

also....is Continuum worth watching as a series binge?

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Yes, 100% to Contiuum worth watching.

its quite good and coming back !

i would say its the most polished, best story plot line out of all the sci fi with the least amount of cheese.

their use of tech is easily on par with Almost Human, and i see Almost Human as being probably on par with Continuum when it started, just a bit different.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, 100% to Contiuum worth watching.

its quite good and coming back !

i would say its the most polished, best story plot line out of all the sci fi with the least amount of cheese.

their use of tech is easily on par with Almost Human, and i see Almost Human as being probably on par with Continuum when it started, just a bit different.
The music on the Continuum shows is also really good. For Canadian TV that is surprising...