• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Allergies - From Dogs to Apples

ChROmE

TRIBE Member
So in the past week I have concluded that I am allergic to both apples and dogs. I never use to be but over the past 4 years I have developed these allergies and I am wonderign if there is anythign that can be done?

Went to see a dog breeder on the weekend to test out the situation and I was hit with a reaction.

Does anyone know of any treatment, meds or tests that can be done to shed some more light on this?

squirrely

TRIBE Member
go see an allergist.
if you need to have dogs in your life (like me) then you can have monthly shots if you want. or, like me, you can live with the wheezing, coughing, eye running, nose running mess.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
That "I have concluded" statement can be so off sometimes...
We have a tendency to self-diagnose ourselves and in many cases we are sooo wrong.

I second the allergist, find out for sure.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
if your brain can magically make yourself allergic to something you never were before, it can probally go back to not being allergic too non?

squirrely

TRIBE Member
KillaLadY said:
That "I have concluded" statement can be so off sometimes...
We have a tendency to self-diagnose ourselves and in many cases we are sooo wrong.

I second the allergist, find out for sure.
allergy testing is pretty damn unreliable, though. my allergist basically ignored the results of my prick test thingy, and went on what i told him about my symptoms.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

squirrely

TRIBE Member
judge wopner said:
if your brain can magically make yourself allergic to something you never were before, it can probally go back to not being allergic too non?
allergies often come and go, with age and with circumstance.

being exposed to one major allergen can make you really susceptible to other things that you never reacted to before.

grounded4life

TRIBE Member
haha, ya i was hit with an allergic reaction to red grapes over the weekend. That sucked.

Go see an allergist. Not all allergies you're born with... as I am finding out, a lot of them are developmental...

Most of my friends that come to my house are allergic to my cats so I always keep some allergy medication on hand. Usually works for them. It should keep allergies at bay.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Were you going to get a boxer? I went "just to look" at a breeders and then left a deposit and came back a week later for mine. It was literally impossible to walk away.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
squirrely said:
allergy testing is pretty damn unreliable, though. my allergist basically ignored the results of my prick test thingy, and went on what i told him about my symptoms.
my prick test didn't show any allergies... but after an elimination diet (no eggs for 4 weeks) I had and severe reaction to eggs when I ate them and then worked out.. the results.. egg allergy no more eggs for me regardless of prick test negative results.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
lucky1 said:
my prick test didn't show any allergies... but after an elimination diet (no eggs for 4 weeks) I had and severe reaction to eggs when I ate them and then worked out.. the results.. egg allergy no more eggs for me regardless of prick test negative results.
exactly.

the prick test is a joke and makes me think of this quote:

"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lucky1

TRIBE Member
the allergist I saw was a bit of a prick himself.. he told me there was no way I had allergies if the test was negative.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Just came back from the allergist.

I'm allergic to many things. Was asking about what can be done about cats... and apparently, I should just avoid cats at all costs since it's a really bad allergy of mine.

Being allergic sucks monkey balls.

ChROmE

TRIBE Member
Bumbaclat said:
Were you going to get a boxer? I went "just to look" at a breeders and then left a deposit and came back a week later for mine. It was literally impossible to walk away.
We were originally looking at Boxers, bulldogs and Basenjis. We ahve narrowed it down to an Olde English Bulldogge.

I had a cheque in my pocket and a pupy in my hand, but couldnt go through with it until I resolved this allergy issue.

grounded4life

TRIBE Member
I used to be allergic to cats, but it just went away the more I was around them. But I know a lot of people that have allergies to cats... ya... best to stay away if it's really bad.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
I've had a cat for almost my whole life even though the allergy tests show that i'm allergic to them - it only hits me when I'm around cats with lots of dander otherwise theres no problems.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
grounded4life said:
I used to be allergic to cats, but it just went away the more I was around them. But I know a lot of people that have allergies to cats... ya... best to stay away if it's really bad.
its odd, my buddies GF is allergic to dogs like crazy,
but shes been in our friends house where they put the dog outside when she's around and she is ok, one time the dog was hiding under the couch and we didnt even know he was there for hours we were all relaxed, the secondhe came out from under the couch she started getting all wheazy.

seemed more like she just wanted some attention. so i gave her a big hug and told her to grow up.
just joking,

squirrely

TRIBE Member
ChROmE said:
We were originally looking at Boxers, bulldogs and Basenjis. We ahve narrowed it down to an Olde English Bulldogge.

I had a cheque in my pocket and a pupy in my hand, but couldnt go through with it until I resolved this allergy issue.
:( that is so so sad.

you may be best to look at some other breeds. i experience very little allergic response to my dachshund/poodle crosses, and yet my parents' mini schnauser (apparently "hypo-allergenic") almost kills both me and my mom.

if -- judging by your list -- you have a thing for "b" dogs, you could always look at a bichon frise. ;)

jared k

TRIBE Member
my sister had about 35 different food allergies when she was little. now, 20 years later, 90% of them have disappeared naturally. weird.

mingster

TRIBE Member
allergies are so weird.

i have a persistent skin allergy (dermographitis), but they can't tell me what i'm allergic to and there like no info available on the web. so i have to live with it. :/

lucky1

TRIBE Member
like hives? I feel your pain.. so annoying.. espeically when you become immune to most antihistamines

Last edited:

grounded4life

TRIBE Member
jared k said:
my sister had about 35 different food allergies when she was little. now, 20 years later, 90% of them have disappeared naturally. weird.
Yup, I know all about food allergies. I just developed celiac disease within the last year aparently. It's night and day difference though... I don't think I'll grow out of this one though.

Soulster

TRIBE Member
The Watcher said:
Just came back from the allergist.

I'm allergic to many things. Was asking about what can be done about cats... and apparently, I should just avoid cats at all costs since it's a really bad allergy of mine.

Being allergic sucks monkey balls.
i second that. i'm allergic to all sorts of foods, as well as the standard environmental allergens (dust, ragweed, birch, etc.) and cats (and i love cats, so it's extra sad).

yesterday i had an allergic reaction to running down the block. i'm actually serious. i have what's called "exercise induced anaphylaxis". Basically there are some foods that, if i eat and then exercise afterwards, will cause me to go into anaphylactic shock. anaphylactic shock can be an extreme allergic reaction that can result in death (eg. most peanut allergies result in anaphylactic shock), however mine (thank god) is usually the more mild form - hives and itchyness all over. Though i did once go to a club after a nice dinner, danced up a sweat and ended up leaving in a cab with my face so swollen my eyes were half shut and i was having a bit of trouble breathing, especially through my nose.

anyhoo, the long and the short of it is the only way i can avoid it is to avoid exercise for at least 3 hours after i eat anything. i forgot about that yesterday when i was running down the block to get olive oil before the store closed. :rolleyes:

lucky1

TRIBE Member
^ why don't you just eliminate the allergy foods from your diet completely? sounds like my egg reaction.