• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Alleged 1980's hash dealer to run for leadership of Ontario PC party

praktik

TRIBE Member
I don’t see how we can’t win to be honest, his strategy whether it's by mistake or by design is genus. It’s me versus the establishment (i.e. liberals, intelligencia, the media), I’m an everyday Joe like you, speaks volumes to his base. He has a loud voice regarding his record, and can strong arm any debate right now and drive these messages home regardless of current opponents who may appear. Another conservative candidate needs to appear, and thus perhaps split the vote, we know there will be a few on the left who will run.

Except this has been a political trend that may be on it's way out - I see Ford as an increasingly outdated relic of 80s and 90s politics.

The "guy you want to have a beer with" is starting to lose its appeal...

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I want you to be right, but I don't see it that way. Populist Tim Horton's politics with the attendant dumbed-down evidence-be-damned discourse seems to be cementing itself as a large and unmovable block of voters

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
screw what Ford Nation wants.
The vid gets released and he gets booted from his Mayors seat. He barely can do his job straight, let alone drunk or stoned.
he lied about the video.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I dunno, people want results and shit to happen too, right?

This guy has been woefully ineffective... I think he's damaging the "guy you want to have a beer with" brand...

That said populism and branding oneself as manning the barricades for "the little guy" in the face of "the establishment"

That will never go away. But you don't have to dumb yourself down to claim that mantle and it can be claimed from any point on the spectrum, w/ both the left and the right having narratives that tap that vein...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
People are eating up his 'saving a billion dollars' nonsense. Plus he privatized garbage collection and tamed the unions!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Except this has been a political trend that may be on it's way out - I see Ford as an increasingly outdated relic of 80s and 90s politics.

The "guy you want to have a beer with" is starting to lose its appeal...

Which mirrors a lot of the GTA imo. I think we Toronto core people sometimes live in a utopian urban city dwelling bubble. Purely anecdotal but having had many political conversations with people who don't live in downtown Toronto, it seems Ford isn't so far off from the suburbanites.

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
I think Ford's mastery of appealing to the Joe Tim Hortons crowd is nothing short of genius. For the record I absolutely despise the guy, but man, you have to give credit where credit is due. He's a privileged white kid from inner Etobicoke and never achieved anything outside of politics

But, I do think we are finally taking a turn here, nobody likes what they saw in the whole Danforth fiasco, even his die hard supporters (whether they admit it or not) are probably starting to wonder whether he smokes crack (no pun intended). I mean these people aren't animals, its families with mums, kids etc... They don't want there mayor wandering around like a drunken bafoon smoking rock.

TRO

TRIBE Member
9527223176_f68e8f8ac0.jpg

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
so said driver guy goes by the house asking for the vid, and mom and the son say it's not there.
a day later, they ( and the sons gf ) both get assaulted by someone who broke into their house ?

still kills me that after all this, Rob still has the nuts to say the video doesn't exist, yet people working for him , while not saying there's a video, are looking for it.

this Lisi guy is a piece of work.

Last edited:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I think even before the video story, anything that the Star said about Ford was considered by many to be sour grapes. Now that the video hasn't materialized, each story the Star does seems more spiteful than anything, to me anyway, and I am no Ford supporter. I am sure undecided voter 'Joe Suburbia' might even be feeling some sympathy for Ford at this point.

It seems like they are rehashing the same shit, over and over.

Perhaps they need to do something really spunky, like get a reporter into the jail to interview the video owner/seller. Anything that seems "new" would help, because, after all, that is what news is about.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Nixon didn't resign when the watergate break-in was discovered, it took more than a year of hounding and investigative work by the Washington Post before anyone took their discoveries seriously

catilyst

TRIBE Member
I think even before the video story, anything that the Star said about Ford was considered by many to be sour grapes. Now that the video hasn't materialized, each story the Star does seems more spiteful than anything, to me anyway, and I am no Ford supporter. I am sure undecided voter 'Joe Suburbia' might even be feeling some sympathy for Ford at this point.

It seems like they are rehashing the same shit, over and over.

Perhaps they need to do something really spunky, like get a reporter into the jail to interview the video owner/seller. Anything that seems "new" would help, because, after all, that is what news is about.

Some of the recent stories against him are definitely blown out of proportion, but there is new (at least to me) info in this latest article.

kuba

TRIBE Member
new info that's going to and has lead to NOTHING - the people in the story won't talk to The Star; that whole line of "Lisi refused to be interviewed" is total horseshit because it is obvious he would refuse to be interviewed - DUH.

As for

"still kills me that after all this, Rob still has the nuts to say the video doesn't exist,"

Are you that naive? Do you really think under any circumstance including a gun to his head, he would admit to it?

jungleboy

TRIBE Promoter
True investigative-reporting is probably at odds with today's 24/7 news-cycle but the Star is doing great. Right now they are only publishing what can be triple-checked.

Tip of the iceberg.

malcolm33

TRIBE Member
True investigative-reporting is probably at odds with today's 24/7 news-cycle but the Star is doing great. Right now they are only publishing what can be triple-checked.

Tip of the iceberg.

I agree with this. Pretty much spot on.

If the Star is spreading all of these "falsehoods", then why hasn't there been a libel suit? It's not like Ford is inexperienced with court proceedings.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
The investigative long game the Star is playing on this is some of the best, most hard-nosed journalism to come out of this town in a long time. It might not play well with those who perceive the Star as bullying Ford, but the range of sources, stakeouts and connections they've fleshed out is really something to behold when taken as a large block of work. It almost makes me want to take out a digital subscription.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
The investigative long game the Star is playing on this is some of the best, most hard-nosed journalism to come out of this town in a long time. It might not play well with those who perceive the Star as bullying Ford, but the range of sources, stakeouts and connections they've fleshed out is really something to behold when taken as a large block of work. It almost makes me want to take out a digital subscription.

Double word. This is great work and should be commended.

The idea that the Star's reporting on this would make people like Ford, is just ridiculous. The two are unrelated.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
new info that's going to and has lead to NOTHING - the people in the story won't talk to The Star; that whole line of "Lisi refused to be interviewed" is total horseshit because it is obvious he would refuse to be interviewed - DUH.

As for

Are you that naive? Do you really think under any circumstance including a gun to his head, he would admit to it?

His drivers/friends weren't so smart before all this. They made numerous calls to reporters threatening them.