• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Alleged 1980's hash dealer to run for leadership of Ontario PC party

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Lawyers for what?
Potential defamation?

Also, isn't soliciting money for a not so complimentary video close to extortion?

And how about publicly showing yourself smoking crack? You can't participate in a crime together and document it and then go "hey look who's also doing what we're doing!"

You can't prove someone is smoking crack with a video. It's just not enough. It could be a fake pipe, it could be a joke, it could be herbal whatever. The one thing that will get Ford on this is if they actually find a history of drug use tied to those guys he's with.

I haven't read much about it though as I'm not particularly interested in the actual crack smoking. Like I said, I'm more concerned that our Mayor is saying the things that he says. We don't live in a city where our elected leader says shit like that. If it's true.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I would hope it's fake. I'm by all means not a Ford fan but do you really want to believe that our Mayor is smoking crack? Or anyone is addicted to drugs? I'd rather him get some help to be honest if it's true. And step down for our sake AND his sake.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
why's that? don't you want to see the video?
No. But it's probably the same reason why I don't wanna see a celebrity sex tape because of it's humiliation factor. I'm not a big proponent of large scale humiliation particularly if I have to pay for it. If he wants to smoke crack and put a video out there then fine. Godspeed. Internet shitheads post bullshit all day, every day. There are millions of videos of people doing stupid shit that they themselves have put out publicly. But no, I do not want to pay money to see a public figure in a city that I love acting like a fool.

But sure, I get the entertainment factor.

However, I'm of the camp that is more concerned with his statements, stances and lack of integrity more than how fat or sweaty he is. The whole thing is tacky. Not saying I'm above gossip or scandal but in this instance, it's just kinda sad to me.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
if the video surfaces and its a fake what say you then?
no biggie. that would be a better result than never seeing the video at all, cuz then we'd never know whether it was authentic. sure, some kids would have scammed us for the money, but if they orchestrated the entire fiasco with a fake video (which seems unlikely), they deserve the cash. plus, gawker could sue them for the money back based on the misrepresentation.

i'm sure there are people willing to pay $1000 or more to get rid of the mayor but haven't given money because if the donor list gets published with amounts attached it might make some people look bad.
you can donate anonymously.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
Potential defamation?
it's only defamation if it's fake.

Also, isn't soliciting money for a not so complimentary video close to extortion?
don't think so. extortion would be if they were going to Ford for the money.

And how about publicly showing yourself smoking crack? You can't participate in a crime together and document it and then go "hey look who's also doing what we're doing!"
the video only shows Ford.

You can't prove someone is smoking crack with a video. It's just not enough. It could be a fake pipe, it could be a joke, it could be herbal whatever.
i agree in a court of law a video (alone without other evidence) wouldn't be enough to convict, but in the court of public opinion it would certainly be more than enough.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

MoFo

TRIBE Member
it's only defamation if it's fake.

don't think so. extortion would be if they were going to Ford for the money.

the video only shows Ford.
Ah. I thought it was him smoking with those Somali guys? I guess I should probably read up on it.

And yeah, I guess extortion is not the right term. Like... I guess there wasn't intention of getting money from Ford so...

But I guess you're right, if the video is real and Ford allowed himself to be recorded then he signed a "contract" to have this kinda thing out there beyond his control.

Anyway, crack is not fun.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
This goes beyond just a humiliating sex tape. Being a crack user can have a direct and debilatating effect on your ability to manage your day to day goings on, much less the goings on of the fourth largest city in North America. This guy is being paid with our money to lead and manage our municipal government. It makes no sense to me that people who are engaged civically don't want to see the video. Ford is obviously in denial, and that is a scary place for a drug addict to be, as much for those around him as for himself. That is why this video needs to be released.

Although the more I think about this, the more I do agree with bbj's stance on the Star. While I do think that the video exists, the way the Star has handled is pretty lame. Either buy the video and show it, or never bring it up. Without the video, nothing can be proven and it really is just a campaign to make Ford look bad and sell papers. It's clear that they were never going to buy the video, so their involvement since Thursday seems to be more about getting pageviews than actually creating credible journalism.

At this point though I think that regardless of the circumstances that the video came to exist and then was brought to the attention of the public, it is important that it be seen.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Well, I think the video should be sent to the police and the city. Not for us to have a laugh over. Sorry. Zero interest. Let professionals decide whether it's real and start an investigation ASAP.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
Although the more I think about this, the more I do agree with bbj's stance on the Star. While I do think that the video exists, the way the Star has handled is pretty lame. Either buy the video and show it, or never bring it up. Without the video, nothing can be proven and it really is just a campaign to make Ford look bad and sell papers. It's clear that they were never going to buy the video, so their involvement since Thursday seems to be more about getting pageviews than actually creating credible journalism.

At this point though I think that regardless of the circumstances that the video came to exist and then was brought to the attention of the public, it is important that it be seen.
the Star wasn't going to run the story without the video until Gawker broke it on thursday night. At that point they don't really have a choice and IMO have a responsibility to let Toronto know what they've seen.

Newspapers don't have a 100k (now 200k) to spend on something like this, especially since once it's out there will not be any exclusivity on it as it will be plastered everywhere.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Well, I think the video should be sent to the police and the city. Not for us to have a laugh over. Sorry. Zero interest.
the video going public may be the only thing that would force rob ford to resign and never run again for mayor. that's why i want the video released. politics aside, this guy is an absolute train-wreck.

Destiny Productions

TRIBE Promoter
This goes beyond just a humiliating sex tape. Being a crack user can have a direct and debilatating effect on your ability to manage your day to day goings on, much less the goings on of the fourth largest city in North America. This guy is being paid with our money to lead and manage our municipal government. It makes no sense to me that people who are engaged civically don't want to see the video. Ford is obviously in denial, and that is a scary place for a drug addict to be, as much for those around him as for himself. That is why this video needs to be released.

1. Toronto is the 3rd largest city, not 4th. We passed Chicago this year.

2. The Star did not break the story and was not even the first Toronto paper to publish... Gawker posted first and then the Globe & Mail put up a piece on Thursday night. Star didn't go live until Friday morning as the cat was already out of the bag... I'm sure they would have preferred to wait longer but at that point they had to run the story. Had they not we'd all wonder why they were so behind.

Destiny Productions

TRIBE Promoter
Well, I think the video should be sent to the police and the city. Not for us to have a laugh over. Sorry. Zero interest. Let professionals decide whether it's real and start an investigation ASAP.
Police won't charge someone for "smoking" in a video - there is no way to prove in a court of law what was in the pipe. We all know what it is but its not evidence required for a criminal conviction. I'm happy to let the court of public opinion take this one to death penalty level!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

dr. claw

if the video surfaces and its a fake what say you then?

who will admit to paying drug dealers for a real/fake video?
Whether or not it's true, our city is the laughingstock of the world- we've made the front page of the BBC, New York magazine, Atlantic Wire, hell even the Hollywood Reporter. Our city deserves a much more in depth response than "something something left wing media out to get me gotta go"- if the video really is a fake, he should sue for defamation or liability, promise to take a drug test and publish the results, swear that he's never been around Somali drug dealers- anything to restore our city's reputation and credibility. This isn't just some brief indiscretion and flirtation with drugs- he's being accused of consorting with organized crime members and gangbangers.

How is he supposed to run our city if his PR team can't deal with scandals?

Last edited:

dr. claw

PS BBJ, just because I know you're going to respond with "well he's been under attack for so long, give him a break", being a politician means having to deal with not everyone liking you and, yes, being under constant attack from the media. Anyone who can't handle it (as Ford has certainly demonstrated) shouldn't be in office.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The Ford family probably bought the video to keep it quiet and are going to wait until this blows over. If no video is released I can see this story dying off once another big story hits the news cycle and flushes it out.

tripleup

TRIBE Member
You are such a bore these days Sunny.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

tripleup

TRIBE Member
Whether or not it's true, our city is the laughingstock of the world- we've made the front page of the BBC, New York magazine, Atlantic Wire, hell even the Hollywood Reporter. Our city deserves a much more in depth response than "something something left wing media out to get me gotta go"- if the video really is a fake, he should sue for defamation or liability, promise to take a drug test and publish the results, swear that he's never been around Somali drug dealers- anything to restore our city's reputation and credibility. This isn't just some brief indiscretion and flirtation with drugs- he's being accused of consorting with organized crime members and gangbangers.

How is he supposed to run our city if his PR team can't deal with scandals?
Crack is out of your system in a few days to a week, so drug tests are pretty much useless.

Its the fatal flaw of the piss test system in employment fields..hard drug users are rarely caught while dirty hippies are practically unemployable.

So it only half works.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
I think the crackstarter idea it's funny, but something bothers me about giving drug dealers 200k.

i think the fact that multiple journalists have attested to seeing the video is enough to show guilt in the court of public opinion. Sure the star has a thing for making Ford look like the fool he is, but the guy from Gawker had nothing to gain from his visit here and this story.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
1. Toronto is the 3rd largest city, not 4th. We passed Chicago this year.

2. The Star did not break the story and was not even the first Toronto paper to publish... Gawker posted first and then the Globe & Mail put up a piece on Thursday night. Star didn't go live until Friday morning as the cat was already out of the bag... I'm sure they would have preferred to wait longer but at that point they had to run the story. Had they not we'd all wonder why they were so behind.
1. We are the 4th largest. Chicago is the 5th.

2. Publishing something simply because you don't want to be behind is pretty sloppy journalism.

It is a good point though that 200K is alot of scratch for a newspaper to pay. Although according to Kevin Donovan's Q&A, the issue was not around the amount but more the priniciple of the matter:

I think people need to see it, but traditionally we do not pay for information because it is felt that doing so taints the information.
Which is fair enough. But without the hard proof it is hard to justify profiting from this.

dr. claw

Crack is out of your system in a few days to a week, so drug tests are pretty much useless.

Its the fatal flaw of the piss test system in employment fields..hard drug users are rarely caught while dirty hippies are practically unemployable.

So it only half works.
Even with hair follicle tests?

My point is why are we discussing this? He should be doing whatever he can to prove the video is fake (if it is)- he owes us as much.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders