• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Alleged 1980's hash dealer to run for leadership of Ontario PC party

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I predict the relationship between Ford & the new lesbian Premier of Ontario is going to be fun to watch.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
i wonder how much the star and assorted left leaning interests will feel so free and easy with the money to support all the lawsuits now that all of them have lost and they are on the hook

maybe that is why the star ran that article about how much it costs to "fight" city hall

guess the most given away...er...read paper is gonna start charging more for their tabloid

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Don't you think it's interesting that it was The Star that broke the ORNGE scandal and exposed eHealth?

And Clayton Ruby took the case in question pro bono, I don't believe The Star or any other 'left learning' organization put up any money for, nor is on the hook for bills.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
ornge had nothing to do with their insane 9 story a day hate on for ford
i do find it funny that every single person they have backed in elections or any sort have lost horribly
someone has to pay the piper and no one is going to pro bono frivolous case after frivolous case

but its cute you think that

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
My point was, for all its faults and pompous columnists, The Star is one of the best investigative papers in the country, and still fulfils the role of the 5th estate. This is evidenced by the fact that they investigate and break stories that scandalize governments, you seem to think they shill for. eHealth and ORNGE were both broken by The Star. And my point was that Clayton Ruby took the conflict of interest case pro bono, which had nothing to do with The Star.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
My point was, for all its faults and pompous columnists, The Star is one of the best investigative papers in the country, and still fulfils the role of the 5th estate. This is evidenced by the fact that they investigate and break stories that scandalize governments, you seem to think they shill for. eHealth and ORNGE were both broken by The Star. And my point was that Clayton Ruby took the conflict of interest case pro bono, which had nothing to do with The Star.
the star is a steaming pile of junk, I used to read it on the regular until I started getting Deja Vu, I would read something on wednesday and then the exact same article would appear again on saturday.

It is up there with Now magazine and the Sun (aside from the sports section)

toilet paper for homeless people

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I'm not under any illusion The Star is of the same quality as the New York Times, but when it comes to breaking stories and scandals in Toronto and Ontario, and doing the investigative work behind them, there is no paper better.

acheron

TRIBE Member
yes, top-flight muckraking. which is what we need them for. someone has to do it so respectable papers like the Globe can concentrate on real news instead of what the public wants, which is what the Star apparently provides. Neither side of the coin apparently makes money anymore, though.

derek

TRIBE Member
This will be interesting. Doug Ford should really shut-up about how they do things in the private sector because he clearly has no clue. Contracts get extended all the time if there's mutual benefit. There's generally a clause on how many extensions can be given before the contract must be put out to bid.

Stintz is standing her ground. She seems more strategic than those two clowns, so I'm wagering she knows something.

TTC newsstands: Karen Stintz asks staff to review bid by Gateway rival International News | Toronto Star

TTC chair Karen Stintz is calling for a third-party review of a single-source $48-million lease extension approved by the Toronto Transit Commission for the subway’s Gateway newsstands.
The review comes amid attacks from Mayor Rob Ford and his brother Councillor Doug Ford, suggesting that Stintz engineered a lucrative sole-source lease agreement that should have been open to competing bids.
Stintz, who is believed to be mulling a run for mayor, announced the review of the 10-year lease extension Wednesday after the Toronto Transit Commission received an “unconditional” offer from a competing newsstand company. But she said she’s standing by the TTC’s Jan. 21 approval of the deal, which includes an option to extend for an additional five years.
Photos View gallery

“It’s a good deal for the city. We’re going to have a third-party review, and if there’s new information that comes to light, I will welcome it when it comes,” she told reporters.
In a letter to the other 10 transit commissioners, Stintz said TTC CEO Andy Byford would arrange for legal and real estate experts to look at the lease extension and report back by the next TTC board meeting Feb. 25.
The mayor said he was glad the commission had “seen the light.
“They should go right back to (a tendered bid for the lease). But I’m glad that they’ve realized they made a mistake, and they’re going to revisit it, and let’s take it from there,” Ford said at a scrum in his office.
A Ford aide tried to block Stintz from entering that news conference, citing “mayor’s protocol,” but she ignored him and walked in. When another staffer asked what she was doing, Stintz replied in a loud voice: “What am I doing? I just want to hear what the mayor has to say. I don’t hear from him directly.”
Ford rejected Stintz’s complaint that he hadn’t called her back about the lease. He offered to show reporters his cell phone history, saying, “Cell phones don’t lie.”
The review is necessary, said Stintz, because it’s not clear whether the latest lease offer from International News is a better deal than the one the TTC approved last week with Tobmar Investments International, which franchises the 65 Gateway stores.
Even though International News says it’s offering an additional $4.5 million, it would be costly to reopen the Gateway lease, said Stintz: “The deal that Gateway is proposing provides retroactive lease payments back to 2012 and a signing bonus.”
“When it’s a lease extension and you have a good tenant and, you have a landlord-tenant relationship and, you’re getting above-market rents, which is what we’re getting, then it makes eminent business sense to continue that relationship. It’s common practice at the TTC, at the city, at any other agency where there is a landlord-tenant relationship,” she said.
Calling the review “unacceptable,” Doug Ford suggested the newsstand lease must go to competitive bids. “What is she scared of — she’s protecting this with her life. In the private sector, if this kind of thing happened, she wouldn’t have that job anymore,” he said.
“Given the negativity and the sustained attacks on the chair (the review) may be the best way forward to appease some of her detractors,” said Councillor Maria Augimeri, a TTC commissioner. She said she voted in favour of the Gateway extension because “it seemed to be the best deal at the time, it seemed to be good for taxpayers, for the TTC . . . I really don’t believe anyone did anything untoward.”

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
How many others exceeded 2010 election spending limit?

Candidate Ward Spending LIMIT Spent
Ainslie, Paul 43 $31,364.45 $36,753.03
Augimeri, Maria9 $26,754.05 $62,455.37
Filion, John 23 $46,509.75 $54,981.92
Chan, Ken 27 $43,553.45 $71,027.40
Wong-Tam, Kristyn 27 $43,553.45 $57,048.83
Vaughan, Adam 20 $42,691.55 $72,970.63
Milczyn, Peter 5 $40,969.45 $63,928.91
Cho, Raymond 42 $40,137.30 $63,338.28
Matlow, Josh 22 $39,047.60 $42,686.12
Bussin, Sandra32 $36,847.80 $48,719.67

someone posted this in the star so i thought i would share

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2013/02/01/mayor_rob_ford_broke_election_law_audit_finds.html

Adam Vaughan, Rob Ford’s most vocal council critic, differed on Friday. He called Ford “a cheater.”
“I don’t know if it was deliberate, conniving, or evil. What I do know is it was a lot of little cheating,” Vaughan said. “Who in this City Hall doesn’t know you can’t spend money before you register? It’s sloppy, it’s stupid, it’s silly, it’s cheating. When you don’t play by the rules, you’re a cheater. Is it enough to kick him off council? No. But it sure tells you exactly who he is as a person.”

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Where is that information from? I mean I see the link with the attachment indicating the expense limits but not a source for the actual amounts spent unless I am missing it.

If that info is true then they all should have their hands slapped. And the actual limits likely need to be revisited.

The wrong response is : "Ford should get off because everyone does it". Everyone who does it should be punished and if it in fact costs more to run a campaign than the rules allow then the rules should be revisited.

derek

TRIBE Member
bbj...your posting someone's comments, which is evidently at this point their opinion because the only link the poster on the star has provided is the maximum spend limit, and not what each councillor spent.

http://www.toronto.ca/elections/pdf/candidates-final-maximum-expense-limit.pdf

that's pretty lazy work investigating the source.

if there is actual evidence councillors overspent, i echo wiseman's response above, in that everyone whom overspent should be punished.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Big LOL at quoting a comment bbj.

Guess the Star is a sound source of information, well - you know, when it suits you're interests? Robs comments Friday (oh wait sorry) Big Brothers comments Friday indicated the others weren't audited..

If others overspent, hold them accountable, but lets see a reliable source of this info.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
bbj...your posting someone's comments, which is evidently at this point their opinion because the only link the poster on the star has provided is the maximum spend limit, and not what each councillor spent.

http://www.toronto.ca/elections/pdf/candidates-final-maximum-expense-limit.pdf

that's pretty lazy work investigating the source.

if there is actual evidence councillors overspent, i echo wiseman's response above, in that everyone whom overspent should be punished.
i agree
that is also not the pdf that i saw when i first quoted it and then linked it

i was at my brothers when i read it then left and am now at my gf"s and the link is def not the same

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Big LOL at quoting a comment bbj.

Guess the Star is a sound source of information, well - you know, when it suits you're interests? Robs comments Friday (oh wait sorry) Big Brothers comments Friday indicated the others weren't audited..

If others overspent, hold them accountable, but lets see a reliable source of this info.
do you have a reliable source for ford over spending?
i havent said anyone should get away with it, but i find it quite funny ford seems to be under attack day in and day out yet no one else seems to have a sniff of an investigation

12000 kiss goodbye anyone?
all good

basketballjones

TRIBE Member

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Over 100 breaches of the municipal election act, and multiple breaches of the provincial elections rules, including taking thousands of dollars from businesses.

he won't get bailed out of this one.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Audit committee votes to begin legal proceedings against Mammoliti - The Globe and Mail

A compliance audit committee has voted to commence legal proceedings against Toronto city councillor Giorgio Mammoliti after an audit found his 2010 election campaign exceeded the authorized spending limit by more than $12,000.

The audit, released last month, said Mr. Mammoliti went more than 40 per cent over the campaign expense limit of $27,464.65.

The three-person audit committee met to discuss the report Monday and voted unanimously to commence legal proceedings.

The file will now be handed to an outside lawyer, who will determine whether to press ahead with charges.

Jack Siegel, Mr. Mammoliti’s lawyer, argued during the hearing that Mr. Mammoliti’s campaign did not set out to overspend and he should not be prosecuted because of the mistake.

Mr. Siegel had requested an eight-month adjournment of the committee hearing so another auditor could examine the campaign. That request was denied.

Paul-Erik Veel, lawyer for the applicant David DePoe, argued it doesn’t matter how Mr. Mammoliti overspent – just that he did.

Mr. Mammoliti declined comment after the audit committee’s decision came down.

His hearing was held just a few days after another audit found Mayor Rob Ford also overspent during the 2010 campaign. That audit said Mr. Ford spent $40,000 more, about three per cent, than the $1.3-million cap.

The mayor’s audit committee is scheduled for Feb.