• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

All you Che fans.. 2 movies for you to suck on.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Ok the first one, based on the book of memoirs of the same name, The Motorcycle Diaries focuses on Ernesto 'Che' Guevara's life as a young ideologue starring one of the dudes from Y T Mama Tambien. It was featured at the film festival.. and I've been reading favourable reviews so far.. anyone get to see it? It opens in October.

[breakdown]

==================
The Motorcycle Diaries
In 1952, two young Argentines, Ernesto Guevara and Alberto Granado, set out on a road trip to discover the real Latin America. Ernesto is a 23-year-old medical student specializing in leprology, and Alberto, 29, is a biochemist. The film follows the young men as they unveil the rich and complex human and social topography of the Latin American continent.

With a highly romantic sense of adventure, the two friends leave their familiar surroundings in Buenos Aires on a rickety 1939 Norton 500. Although the bike breaks down in the course of their eight-month journey, they press onward, hitching rides along the way. As they begin to see a different Latin America in the people they meet on the road, the diverse geography they encounter begins to reflect their own shifting perspectives. They continue to the heights of Machu Picchu, where the majestic ruins and the extraordinary significance of the Inca heritage have a profound impact on the young men. As they arrive at a leper colony deep in the Peruvian Amazon, the two are beginning to question the value of progress as defined by economic systems that leave so many people beyond their reach. Their experiences at the colony awaken within them the men they will later become by defining the ethical and political journey they will take in their lives.

Based on the journals of both Alberto Granado and the man who would later become El Che, The Motorcycle Diaries follows a journey of self-discovery, tracing the origins of a revolutionary heart.

FilmFour presents, The Motorcycle Diaries, a South Fork Pictures Production in association with Tu Vas Voir Productions. Directed by Walter Salles. Screenplay by Jos Rivera. The film stars Gael Garca Bernal, Rodrigo de la Serna and Ma Maestro. The producers are Michael Nozik, Edgard Tenembaum and Karen Tenkhoff. The executive producers are Robert Redford, Paul Webster and Rebecca Yeldham and the co-producers are Daniel Burman and Diego Dubcovsky. The director of photography is Eric Gautier, A.F.C., production designer is Carlos Conti and editor is Daniel Rezende, with costumes designed by Beatriz di Benedetto and Marisa Urruti and music by Gustavo Santaolalla. Gianni Min serves as artistic supervisor. Path Pictures International will sell the film internationally.

http://www.motorcyclediaries.net

==================

Ok the second, titled simply Che to begin filming in 2005, stars (quite appropriately) Benicio Del Toro, and will be directed by Steven Soderbergh. From what I gather it focuses more on the part his life dedicated to revolutionary struggles, but I haven't gotten more buzz than that -since it's not even filming yet, it's difficult to get any info on it. But just look at Benicio, perfect!

jasmyn

TRIBE Member
sounds interesting. i would definitely be interested in checking these out when they get released.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
WHAT. CHE IS NOT A LINE OF CLOTHING?!
For some it is.. for instance, I saw an interesting take on a che shirt last night, it was the typical che image except with an ape head.. and said something to the ilk of ape revolution.

*ahem*
*yawn*

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
i thought this thread was about tie chi

I've never heard of this Che guy till just now.... ;)

and this whole time I thought it was just another Andy Warhol picture gone famous. hehehe.....

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

madnezz

TRIBE Member
good movie! I didn't really know what they were going to be covering in Guevara's lifetime, so i was a little surprised by it being all pre-revolutionary material, but it was still great to see!

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
blah blah blah.. dumb dumb dumb..
Is there any way to ‘ignore’ someone, and do so in a way that not only ignores their posts, but also explodes the computer into their dumb fucking face while you do it?

Pyrovitae

TRIBE Member
amazing film. beautiful, absolutely lush, heartwarming and gorgeous.

and this kid: gael garcia bernal - i clould fall in love with his croocked tooth smile alone, let alone the character he played.

definitely one of the best movies i've seen in the past year.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
saw this movie, motorcycle diaries.. liked it lots.

totally recommend it.
there were some good, lengthy articles about this in the toronto star a couple of weeks back. In anycase, the movie is ace.

totally worth seeing and g.g. bernal is a great actor.
cool that the movie is in spanish.

those are all the comments I have.

sarafina

TRIBE Member
i didn't know it was out yet...
but i was going by the calendar for the princess (a smaller theatre in waterloo that gets movies later) where it opens on the 29th
i did see listings for it in montreal last weekend though..

miguel

TRIBE Member
saw this last night.. the english subtitles did not do justice to the language used (but i guess they never do)

a lot of people idealise che as a symbol of freedom and struggle for the oppressed.. make no mistake che was not the saint people seem to make him out to be these days

that being said... without thinking too much about all the stuff che did years later, this was an awesome movie!! just the footage alone is breathtaking

two guys on a trip seeing all the injustice in south america and having it change their lives...

i was particularly touched because a big chunk of the movie was set in peru.. and the director did a great job showing the realities that poor people face there.. 50 years later and nothing's changed.

nice trick in the end to have the people they meet along the way standing still, facing the camera one by one, sortof like photos.. their dignity really came through

highly recommended!!

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by miguel

nice trick in the end to have the people they meet along the way standing still, facing the camera one by one, sortof like photos.. their dignity really came through

highly recommended!!
I agree. The ending made the movie. The scenery did too, as did the bond on-screen between the actors.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Temper Tantrum
I just picked up the motorcycle diaries today! YAY

:D :D :D so stoked to watch it finally

(then you can borrow it grant! geez :p )

~allie~
great flick...you'll enjoy it!:)

when is that Del Toro one released?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories