• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

All Up In Ya Ass, Vista - It's Windows 7!

lobo

TRIBE Member
Whoa. Just tried out the Windows XP Mode in Windows 7 and it's awesome! Currently you can download it and you get a "free" copy of XP SP3 to test out with. I plugged my old Canon scanner that doesn't work in Vista or Windows 7 and it detected and installed the drivers fine! I'm now able to scan things again while working in Win7. Haven't tried installing a program via that method so that it loads automagically but I hear that it's pretty slick too. Nice one.

Lobo

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Did a fresh install of the RTM today. Some little things that bothered me before are fixed, but now my antivirus comes up with an error message when first loaded, however it seems to be working fine. Odd.

AshG

Anyone encounter any issues attempting to install programs to anything but the drive that the OS is installed on?

W7 simply won't allow it for me atm.
Annoying...

AshG

any and all.

here's what i think is happening....

diff OS's assign diff numbers to the NTFS drives and make them for the most part unreadable across diff OS's. that's a sort of known issue when installing multiple OS's, and having looked at the NTFS numbers when in W7, the drive partition i've installed W7 on reads as NTFS number 0.0.
tho i want to note that in xp the NTFS numbers are uniform across the board, making all the drives perfectly usable.

now normally windows installs NTFS numbers like 3.*, which varies depending on the particular OS.

so i suspect that in installing w7 on a specific drive partition, it has effectively rendered the other partitions kind of useless - certainly inaccessible to changes - due to the variance in the NTFS numbers. normally the way to get around this is to merge the partitions first, then install(making the drive one NTFS number), then later re-partition, but good god i want to avoid having to do that if possible. I've got about 8 partitions on the one drive and prob 8 on another.

so.... does anyone know a way around this?
and, anyone encountered or tried something to do with this yet?

Last edited:

lobo

TRIBE Member
I installed a game on my "D" partition over the weekend. No problems assigning a different directory than the standard one in "C".

Lobo

AshG

I installed a game on my "D" partition over the weekend. No problems assigning a different directory than the standard one in "C".

Lobo
*strokes mustachio* interesting... do you have the OS installed on a physically diff hd than the game, or are they diff partitions of the same hd?

AshG

hmm, now i'm beginning to think it has something to do with Partition Magic rather than w7 per se.

any recommendations on a partition manager for w7 64 bit?

lobo

TRIBE Member
My Windows 7 install is on a separate HDD than what my "D" drive is. Maybe that's a factor?

Lobo

AshG

well windows 7 appears to be up and running smoovly for me, glad to say.

one thing tho, good god the search engine in w7 sucks balls!

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
give it time to index your junk dude. it does it in the background.

my search works a treat.

AshG

really? i hope so!

i googled it and it seems to be a recurring problem with lots of people, but patience have i.

ian

TRIBE Member
really? i hope so!

i googled it and it seems to be a recurring problem with lots of people, but patience have i.
I have also had trouble with it Mike, but I think it's because I havn't figured out how to use it properly yet. Gonna take a better look at it soon.

romstah

TRIBE Member
w7mc on x360 is beautiful, i have the atsc tv tuner running with the guide, divx mkv plays mkv flawlessly without transcoding. Medibrowser is just sick.

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
is mediabrowser really good?

i have to reinstall an recrack my setups. apparently the crack i used before didnt take.

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
well windows 7 appears to be up and running smoovly for me, glad to say.

one thing tho, good god the search engine in w7 sucks balls!
Rajio is right, it takes time to index. But what I actually prefer is to use Locate32, its super fast and I prefer the result style.

AshG

is a time frame on the order of over a month not ridiculous tho(about how long 7 has been up and running for me)?
it still sucks huge. every other search i try for files that simply are there comes up with nothing. sooo annoying.

locate32 it is.

romstah

TRIBE Member
how did you do it? here's how i got mine to work.
select manufacturer - choose anyone doesnt matter.
then select option 2 - wait for message, then it will ask you to reboot.

thats it

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
yeah then upon reboot i am asked to activate. its probably because i let mine expire before looking in to cracking it. a fresh install with a fresh crack ought to work i guess.