• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

All Up In Ya Ass, Vista - It's Windows 7!

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Sorry, yes it's 64-bit in general that scared me off. The small programs here and there that just weren't compatible.

I'll likely stick with 32-bit Win 7, anyways.

That's a waste of much power that you have in your CPU and RAM dude.
x64 runs perfectly fine. The driver support is as deep as Vista, and all my 32 Bit apps run just fine. I don't see any reason to run 32 bit.

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
64 works fine (in a 64 bit machine) a few small things dont work 100% but nothing you're likely to notice. frankly if it actually breaks on a 64 bit OS, its problably not worth running. in general 32 bit applications can be run just fine ona 64 bit machine, they just dont use all that horsepower.

I used to run Vista64 on my media center, the only thing that didnt run was a windows media player visualization plugin (which worked in windows media player but didnt work in the media center interface)

btw i downloaded the 32 bit version. havent gotten around to installing it yet though.

i'll dl the 64 bit for the media center next week (im busting up my monthly quota enough already)

bkxb

TRIBE Member
Good points, but am I really holding back my Core 2 Duo with 32-bit when all I use it for is browsing? It's only got 1GB of RAM.

lobo

TRIBE Member
Honestly, I think the 64 bit version is only going to serve you if you have more than 2GB of memory. I don't see any performance difference by running the 64 bit version on my PC.

Lobo

lobo

TRIBE Member
BTW, Neowin.net posted yesterday that a fully cracked/hacked/whatever ISO might be floating out there. Apparently someone got a hold of the master OEM key for one of the distributors or something and were then able to make the RTM fully activated as well. Oh and this is for the Ultimate version. Guess it didn't take them long.

Grinch, where did you get your copy from? ;) I wouldn't mind reformatting just for giggles. I'm still buying 2 copies of Windows 7 but I have extra machines I could run this on.

Lobo

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
BTW, Neowin.net posted yesterday that a fully cracked/hacked/whatever ISO might be floating out there. Apparently someone got a hold of the master OEM key for one of the distributors or something and were then able to make the RTM fully activated as well. Oh and this is for the Ultimate version. Guess it didn't take them long.

Grinch, where did you get your copy from? ;) I wouldn't mind reformatting just for giggles. I'm still buying 2 copies of Windows 7 but I have extra machines I could run this on.

Lobo
I was talking about that OEM activation with my Hazar post.
He took the Lenovo OEM SLIC and built an activation tool around it.
Orbit have now put out one that does about 2 dozen vendors if you want more variety in your activation options.

I am running 7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULXFRER_EN_DVD

It's known to be clean and also to be final RTM code.

AshG

i really haven't been keeping up here, is there any real point in installing the one touted by dr. grinch over the one on the ms site?

Vise

TRIBE Member
i really haven't been keeping up here, is there any real point in installing the one touted by dr. grinch over the one on the ms site?
Someone can correct me but believe the one on the MS site is the RC1 (Release Candidate) while the one Grinch posted is the RTM (Release to Mfg) meaning it is the same version that will ship when the retail/oem releases hit the street. Basically instead of running the final beta you'd be running the full/finished production release.

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Like Vise said, it's the FINAL version, it's what you'll be buying in the shrink wrap in September/October.
The Beta is a few hundred micro-revisions behind (Build 7100 vs. Build 7600)
There's a huge number of bug fixes/tweaks in there.
Plus 7100 will deactivate in May 2010/June 2010.

Eclectic - No idea dude, don't use torrents.
The one I grabbed had a digital signature that I verified so I know it's clean.
If there's an included SHA or MD5 hash with the torrent version, compare that to the others online and you'll know if it's been altered or not.

Vise

TRIBE Member
Did you do a clean install of 7600 or an upgrade? I really don't want to have to do a fresh install if at all possible cause I'm lazy. :)

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Did you do a clean install of 7600 or an upgrade? I really don't want to have to do a fresh install if at all possible cause I'm lazy. :)
Upgraded by modifying that .ini file in the sources folder.
Been doing that since RC1 with all the other updates.
Can't remember the file right now, but googling will tell you what it is in a hurry.
Minver=7000.0 :)

Vise

TRIBE Member
Hah, nice one... been doing the same upgrades myself via the .ini file edit. Speaking of which started the upgrade to 7600 about an hour ago, should probably check to see how it is doing.

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Hah, nice one... been doing the same upgrades myself via the .ini file edit. Speaking of which started the upgrade to 7600 about an hour ago, should probably check to see how it is doing.
1.5 hours on my desktop, 2 hours on my atom powered machine.
The registration tool worked aces on both.
Let us know if it all goes smoothly for you!

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
yeah upgrading is a slow process. this time i'd rather jut cut my losses and reinstall. i'm guessing it'll be faster overall. plus a clean new os. no 'beta' issues.

Vise

TRIBE Member
1.5 hours on my desktop, 2 hours on my atom powered machine.
The registration tool worked aces on both.
Let us know if it all goes smoothly for you!
Upgrade worked perfectly as did the Hazar activation. Not sure how long it took as I started it and then left for a bit but it obviously went well and everything is working fine. All is good.

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Updated: A Microsoft spokesperson has confirmed to Neowin: "we are aware of reports of activation exploits that attempt to circumvent activation & validation in Windows 7, and we can assure customers that Microsoft is committed to protecting them from counterfeit and pirated software. Microsoft strongly advises customers not to download Windows 7 from unauthorized sources. Downloading Windows 7 from peer-to-peer Web sites is piracy, and exposes users to increased risks – such as viruses, Trojans and other malware and malicious code—that usually accompany counterfeit software."

Update 2: Microsoft has confirmed that they will be blacklisting the key. According to Alex Kochis, Director of Genuine Windows at Microsoft: "we've worked with that manufacturer so that customers who purchase genuine copies of Windows 7 from this manufacturer will experience no issues validating their copy of Windows 7. At the same time we will seek to alert customers who are using the leaked key that they are running a non-genuine copy of Windows. It's important to note that no PCs will be sold that will use this key."
So after installing this ish, as long as I turn off updates, I should be fine, correct?

lobo

TRIBE Member
Yes that sounds about right. As long as you don't care for any updates, it should be fine.

I downloaded and burned the ISO image last night. Contemplating whether to nuke my 2 month old RC install and start fresh again. RE the Hazar activation, is that built into the ISO or is it some separate file to run?

Lobo

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Yes that sounds about right. As long as you don't care for any updates, it should be fine.

I downloaded and burned the ISO image last night. Contemplating whether to nuke my 2 month old RC install and start fresh again. RE the Hazar activation, is that built into the ISO or is it some separate file to run?

Lobo
Separate file. The ISOs are untouched.

Re: Blacklisting, we'll see how that plays out.
The Orbit activator has about 2 dozen hardware vendor licenses. You can't revoke them all. Hell I don't think revoking Lenovo's is a great plan...

AshG

ugh, ugly situation here... help please if its possible.

i installed the ms w7 on a newly created partition a while ago, and have now decided to install the Hazar version. now in so doing, i decided i'd do some partitioning stuff first.

turns out that i can't do a damn thing with the partition i have w7 on, because the NTFS numbers are different(and impossible to change). i'm assuming that in installing w7 on that one partition, that that OS changed the NTFS number for it(which incidentally is 0.0... rather strange considering xp uses 3.something).

so i'm stuck now with a partition i can do nothing with - can't resize, merge, etc. or even apparently do much with the files on that partition(access denied every time i try to delete files).

so.... any suggestions? thanks!

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
ugh, ugly situation here... help please if its possible.

i installed the ms w7 on a newly created partition a while ago, and have now decided to install the Hazar version. now in so doing, i decided i'd do some partitioning stuff first.

turns out that i can't do a damn thing with the partition i have w7 on, because the NTFS numbers are different(and impossible to change). i'm assuming that in installing w7 on that one partition, that that OS changed the NTFS number for it(which incidentally is 0.0... rather strange considering xp uses 3.something).

so i'm stuck now with a partition i can do nothing with - can't resize, merge, etc. or even apparently do much with the files on that partition(access denied every time i try to delete files).

so.... any suggestions? thanks!
Grab a copy of Easeus Partition Master and kill it using that.
It's the best partitioning tool I've ever worked with as far as correcting stubborn conditions.

lobo

TRIBE Member
Well, I downloaded and installed the 64bit version you guys posted about. The Hazar activation (separate download) worked but it looks like MS has already responded back and blacklisted that serial number. Ahh well...my copy stills shows activated. Let's see how long it lasts...

Lobo