• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

All Up In Ya Ass, Vista - It's Windows 7!

lobo

TRIBE Member
So is anyone in here gonna shell out the ~$60 for Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade disc? There's a sale going on by MS offering it via Best Buy, Future Shop, Amazon, etc. Very tempting since it's basically something like 50% off from the regular price it will retail for in October.

Lobo

Pottsie

TRIBE Member
Hopefully Tribe can help me out - I am running Win 7 on a PC and everything was working brilliantly until I installed CA Internet Security Suite Plus 2009 last night. It seems to have frozen my computer while it appears to be attempting to connect to my wireless internet but I cannot do or click anything (even shutting down wont happen). I can work in safe mode though. I realize it is my fault (since Win 7 is not listed as a supported OS by CA), but just in case can anyone offer some advice? Thanks!

derek

TRIBE Member
you're probably s.o.l until windows 7 is officially released. uninstalling is the best advice.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Hopefully Tribe can help me out - I am running Win 7 on a PC and everything was working brilliantly until I installed CA Internet Security Suite Plus 2009 last night. It seems to have frozen my computer while it appears to be attempting to connect to my wireless internet but I cannot do or click anything (even shutting down wont happen). I can work in safe mode though. I realize it is my fault (since Win 7 is not listed as a supported OS by CA), but just in case can anyone offer some advice? Thanks!
what about restore to a previous system checkpoint thang.

might do the trick.

Pottsie

TRIBE Member
So I checked and almost every anti virus provider supports Win7 except computer associates. I had to uninstall it and I am loading it on all my families computers since I bought 5 licenses because of the mail in rebate made it cheaper. Anyone need some anti-virus software?

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
M-Audio's drivers for Vista and Windows 7 64 bit are shit. So angry with them.
Well I'm going to have to go back on what I said and eat my words. For the past two months I've been driven mad by the issue of stuttering audio after the computer had been on for a while.

I finally figured out that it was due to DPC latency, I tired different sound cards, network cards, video cards. None of that did it, I thought I was going to go insane. FINALLY I found out that the stuttering was all caused by massive dpc latency lag by my Comodo Firewall when there had been cumulative network usage. So I un-installed it and voila the problem is gone.

So happy that its finally corrected and fixed, but so angry that it took god knows how much time and frustration to find out it was something that I never even thought would have been an issue.

lobo

TRIBE Member
Even if the real RTM is out, our serial keys won't work with it. We'll need "fake" ones to try this one out.

Lobo

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
hold the phone... your firewall was making audio stutter?!
Yeah. Seriously, ridiculously frustrating.

The DPC Latency Checker tool

If any kernel-mode device driver in your Windows system is implemented improperly and causes excessive latencies of Deferred Procedure Calls (DPCs) then probably drop-outs will occur when you use real-time audio or video streaming applications. For an explanation of this effect see Background information below.

The DPC Latency Checker tool determines the maximum DPC latency that occurs on your Windows system and thus enables you to check the real-time capabilities of your computer. DPC Latency Checker works independent of any external hardware. Using this tool may be helpful in the following situations:

* You experience interruptions (drop-outs) in a flow of data processed in real-time, for example an audio stream, video stream or a sequence of measuring data, and you want to find out the reason for this problem.
* You want to verify that your Windows system is configured properly so that it is capable of handling real-time data transfer before you install the corresponding streaming application.
* You want to check if a particular computer system is suitable for streaming applications, for example before you buy this system.

For more information on the Deferred Procedure Call mechanism and how an excessive DPC latency will affect a streaming application see Background information below.
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

AshG

can anyone tell me what the latest build is that works for the 64bit system?
seems the last one i dl's doesn't actually work for 64, and i want to make sure i get the right one this time.

danka!

bkxb

TRIBE Member
Did a fresh install of Build 7100, and I am pretty darned impressed. Installed it off a flash drive, so it was extremely quick. Didn't have to install a single driver, and not only that, it properly connected to the LaserJet 1012 I have on another machine! (Something that Vista couldn't handle).

All in all, so much more "setup and go". Have barely had to tweak anything.

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
7264 is the latest legit leak. there ought to be a fresh leak any day now though - we're overdue.

bkxb

TRIBE Member
Hmm, really digging the stability and lack of issues with Win7. I also enjoy the new taskbar, and having it off to the side on my widescreen (weird 1440x900 res). I never preferred having the old XP style taskbar off to the side as much.

Any big differences between 7264 and 7100?

On an off note, I wonder if Windows 7 will be the first time I plunk down cash for an OS. Since I made the decision to not mod the xbox and pirate like a beast, perhaps it's time to do right by this OS as well.

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
no huge differences that you'd really notice. but its nice having the biggest number on the block, no? ;)

i still cant imagine plunking down cash for an OS.

bkxb

TRIBE Member
Yeah, it's a bit of a sea change for me, but so far I'm happy with my decision to not mod my xbox (that HDD hack aside). Not quite the same thing, but I had modded a Wii in the early days, downloaded a shitload of games, and really didn't enjoy any of them. Sure, Wii =/= Xbox, but I like to think that reading reviews, and considering before I spend cash on a game brings up my enjoyment (or at least forces me to play it through).

lobo

TRIBE Member
I think that not since the days of DOS 5.0, I will have a legit and paid for version of Microsoft's operating system when Windows 7 comes out. I'm a little tired of having to always worry whether my PC is going to turn on or not and function for me although the cracked Vista I'm running has been fine for almost 2 years.

Lobo

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
well whenever you get a new computer you get a legit OS with it. Technically I own a bunch of legit copies of xp, vista, and macos.