• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

All Up In Ya Ass, Vista - It's Windows 7!

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I think that, like Batman and Robin, most of us would prefer to pretend that Vista never actually happened. To this end, Microsoft has leaked out the teensiest peek at Windows 7, its new OS that is soon to be forced down your throats with every laptop purchase!

All we really know now is that it supports a multitouch system, so you can be all "Minority Report" while you work on your Excel spreadsheets and post on Tribe:

http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisedesktop/archives/2008/05/windows_7_gets.html

 

JamesM

TRIBE Member
the screenshots look very toyish. Like their market is now fisher price laptops.

weird. At least Vista has a pro look. Hopefully those are just really really beta.

example:

 
Last edited:

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Sounds more like ..

"Lets take Vista and add in all the neat stuff from Surface that will never pay for itself and fix all the mistakes we made in our last OS".

Meh.
 

zedtech

TRIBE Member
Wow, to me it looks like they're trying too hard to be different and revolutionary and in the process, cluttering the UI even more. Hopefully, these are all just UI concepts at this point.
 

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
i still dont get what everyone's problem with vista is (other than the hidden DRM most ppl complaining about vista don't even realize is there)

at this point MS is damned if they do. change things up and its 'zomg too different' but leave things the same and its 'zomg, this again?!'
 

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
zedtech said:
from the link
Of course, Apple first introduced the use of multi-touch into the iPhone and has since integrated basic multi-touch into the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air's trackpad. Meanwhile, patent applications have revealed that Apple is working on more advanced multi-touch integration into Mac OS X. When asked by Mossberg if Apple had a jump on this technology, Ballmer simply responded
which is pretty blatantly incorrect. apple did not introduce the multi-touch interface.

UofT and then Microsoft (as well as others, but not apple)
 
Last edited:

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Rajio said:
at this point MS is damned if they do. change things up and its 'zomg too different' but leave things the same and its 'zomg, this again?!'
After the floppiness of Vista people aren't looking for a revolution, they are looking for the next decent OS out of Redmond.

Given that the bulk of Windows use has very little necessity for multi-touch (ie. business/office/coding apps), and the current hardware market isn't really burgeoning towards desktop multitouch, then I would ask what is the sense in pushing multitouch largely into the forefront for your new OS when your most current OS had such a myriad of problems with the necessity of future forward hardware in the first place?

IMHO I think its great that they are going to try and push this forward however I think there's a million other angles they could use to make the OS better first and foremost before worrying about multitouch.
 

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Frustrated Vista user here.

I just want a a clean, uncluttered OS that will make my fast laptop a fast laptop.

Oh and if I get that from Windows 7 then I want it for next to nothing for being forced to put up with Vista.
 

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
oddmyth said:
After the floppiness of Vista people aren't looking for a revolution, they are looking for the next decent OS out of Redmond.
Precisely. Which explains so many people's move to Linux and stuff. They want something that works, not a dramatic change in the way they use their computers.

oddmyth said:
Given that the bulk of Windows use has very little necessity for multi-touch (ie. business/office/coding apps), and the current hardware market isn't really burgeoning towards desktop multitouch, then I would ask what is the sense in pushing multitouch largely into the forefront for your new OS when your most current OS had such a myriad of problems with the necessity of future forward hardware in the first place?

IMHO I think its great that they are going to try and push this forward however I think there's a million other angles they could use to make the OS better first and foremost before worrying about multitouch.
I'm pretty sure that they only 'leaked' this little tidbit because it looks nice and helps generate hype for W7. The average person doesn't really care about a press release touting faster load times or better security. But give them a slick-ass looking interface and they'll get excited. That, hopefully, doesn't preclude faster load times or better security though :)
 

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
oddmyth said:
After the floppiness of Vista people aren't looking for a revolution, they are looking for the next decent OS out of Redmond.
what floppiness?

i have had zero problems with it. nothing anybody could describe as floppyness.

oddmyth said:
Given that the bulk of Windows use has very little necessity for multi-touch (ie. business/office/coding apps),
the bulk of windows use has very little necessity for anything beyond windows 95 even.
 

kaniz

TRIBE Member
A user interface != OS.

Microsoft needs to worry about getting the OS up and running and doing what it needs to do in a fast / efficient way. *THEN* worry about making the user interface for it pretty with 'wow' factor.
 
Last edited:

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
kaniz said:
A user interface != OS.

Microsoft needs to worry about getting the OS up and running and doing what it needs to do in a fast / efficient way. *THEN* worry about making the user interface for it pretty with 'wow' factor.
Hey, I know that and you know that, but to Joe Average the OS is "that thing what has teh START Buttin".
 

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
oddmyth said:
You are in the vast minority. There's floppiness abound !
i doubt that. i know many people transitioned to vista and don't find it to be problematic. i suspect many people are just whining about typical OS-transition growing pains (ie 'wah, its not exactly the same as my last os!')
 

kaniz

TRIBE Member
What they are doing with Win7 (unless they have more things up their sleeve to be announced), is like taking a shitty car, putting it onto MTVs "Pimp my Ride", but not touching the engine.

So you end up with a big flashy douche mobile that may turn a few heads, but still runs like shit.

I'm *trying* to like Vista. I just got a new computer and it's pre-installed. I've /never/ had to reboot so frequently in my last few years of computing as I've needed to do with Vista, and this is on a NEW computer.

I'm getting pretty close to just wiping vista off of it, Tossing on XP for those times I need/want windows and going back to Linux as my primary desktop.
 

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
After winXP has finally ceased to be useful, I'm switching fully to linux.

I don't care for anything they've released since XP and even XP was a turd in the beginning, though it was no ME.
 

rod_g

TRIBE Member
kaniz said:
I'm *trying* to like Vista. I just got a new computer and it's pre-installed. I've /never/ had to reboot so frequently in my last few years of computing as I've needed to do with Vista, and this is on a NEW computer.

I'm getting pretty close to just wiping vista off of it
Same here

Vista was running great as my main OS, pre and post SP1 until the crashing started including the random BSOD. And it wasn't just one app it was a few that I use quite frequently.

I'll prob reinstall it one of these days and see if it helps but for now I'm happy using Leopard as my main OS. It's quite a nice change not having to troubleshoot why your OS keeps assploding every few days
 

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
I still don't see what people's problem with Vista as, aside from personal preference. I plan on installing it this week, so I'll reserve judgment. But none of the complaints are any different than what mostly happens to avg users in XP? Regardless, I can't even get my onboard audio card to load in XP SP3.

I guess I'll soon learn.
 

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Rajio said:
i doubt that. i know many people transitioned to vista and don't find it to be problematic. i suspect many people are just whining about typical OS-transition growing pains (ie 'wah, its not exactly the same as my last os!')
Right .. of course all of this Vista sucks must just be a figment of the internet imagination and hardware vendors getting several extensions to the lifespan of XP and a third service pack being added to their last generation OS and business' not upgrading to Vista all just a big hoax.

Oh yeah MS being taken to court of Vista's lack of interoperability with current hardware and the whole "Vista Capable/Ready" sticker snafu .. yeah that's all just bunk too.

Just because it works for you, doesn't mean it works for the masses.
 

deevah

TRIBE Member
<-- clinging to XP Pro like it was Win 3.11

Re: Vista - even my friends @ MS are telling me to stay away from it. Vista + Office 2007 = you'll never get anything done on time again
 

derek

TRIBE Member
i'm always the last with no os's anyhoo. i held onto 95 until 2000 when i upgraded to 98se then, to 2000pro in 2004, and finally xp pro in 2007.

while i haven't attempted vista yet, i don't know of anyone who's is a power user that likes it (other than raijo, sorry, you're the minority). could be hype i suppose, but i dunno, looks like ms dropped the ball big time with vista (way moreso with with the first iteration xp).
 
Top