• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

All hail the BBQ 2013 thread!!!

sk8

TRIBE Member
998855_10152066859139202_1187513955_n.jpg

ribs + fire + applewood chips

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Alex your jaffle pics is that on the island? If so are you allowed to have a fire on the beach?

I don't think you are technically allowed to have fires on the beach, but if you go to the really remote parts of the island, nobody will bother you. Also there are awesome bonfire pits all around the island provided by Toronto Parks. There is one particular pit by Gibraltar point that is excellent, and another on the corner of Olympic Island that is also really nice.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Went to Marky & Sparky's last night and it was excellent. My friend Vera and I ordered a few different things (ribs, chicken, brisket sandwich, coleslaw, baked beans, chilli) and they were all tasty and terrific. The ribs were my favorite though: some of the best ribs I have ever eaten!

998871_10151566945908581_1213420741_n.jpg

1004656_10151566945873581_68701097_n.jpg

13247_10151566945853581_1401381379_n.jpg

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
The ribs should be my best meat I cook as it was the first cut I started to smoke with... I have it down to a science.

In the media my brisket gets the most attention as the brisket is an easy meat to make for a quick meal, which fits our environment.

Rib sell more on Friday and Saturdays.

peko

TRIBE Member
I am bringing my South African jaffle maker to the TBQ. Jaffle makers are sort of like round panini presses you can use in a BBQ or fire.

What you do is get 2 slices of high quality bread (I use the cranberry walnut loaf from market bakery), butter the outside of the slices, put whatever filling you want inside the sandwich (I like bacon, cheese, carmelized onions, sauteed zuccini), lock it in the jaffle maker, and stick it in the fire. Scrum delish!

6956_10151530895703581_919140867_n.jpg

8628_10151530895678581_961272852_n.jpg

1000848_10151530895598581_268396562_n.jpg

I want to try the jaffle at the TBQ. MMMMMM, looks like a good sandwich maker!

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
I don't think you are technically allowed to have fires on the beach, but if you go to the really remote parts of the island, nobody will bother you. Also there are awesome bonfire pits all around the island provided by Toronto Parks. There is one particular pit by Gibraltar point that is excellent, and another on the corner of Olympic Island that is also really nice.

Kind of figured that... Walked down Hanlans toward the airport and figure that may be a good area to have a fire as it is low traffic...

dstarr

TRIBE Member
Did a pretty good brisket last weekend. As I had suspected the fat cap was the issue with my previous attempts that didn't work out. I smoked it for about 6 hours and then wrapped in foil and put it in the oven for about 7 more. Took it off at 190.

I have been using less lump charcoal and more wood (oak) which I think helps get a better result.

This is about 4 hours in or so.

1146167_10153082976145080_1799590115_o.jpg

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
Had some left overs from the other night so we took the smoked brisket and pulled pork left over and made some chili... people loved it!!!

Also made deep fried Mac & Cheese balls, which sounds gross but they are very tasty. Top that with pulled pork, chipotle sauce and mild sauce is awesome!!!

Here is the Mac & Cheese ball. The ball is put into a egg wash then breaded, and fried.

It's reminds me a play off the fried ice cream concept. With a crust that protects the inside layer.

62293_409730075813013_1448242039_n.jpg

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Who would ever think that "fried mac and cheese" sounds gross? It sounds awesome to me! Do you just make up a batch of mac n cheese and then form it into balls when it's cold? Is there a trick to keeping them together in the fryer or do they hold up pretty well?

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
You have to prep the mac and cheese a day ahead of time and leave it in the fridge. The next day the cheese is in a format that makes it really easy to form into the balls.

From there it's just egg wash and bread crumbs

Most people love the idea and taste. Others think it sounds really weird lol.

However we make these every Thursday and some people come to the smokehouse just for these, and there favorite meats of course.

sk8

TRIBE Member
I've seen those a few times, it's kind of like the mars bar concept - everything just gets better with deep frying. Steve tried the ones at St. Louis and they were pretty good.

You should do hush puppies. I fell in love with them at the BBQ place in North Carolina that we went to. So good.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I have done hush puppies and they are yummy. And it's fun to say dinner comes with "hush puppies and slaw" with a southern drawl.

futronic

TRIBE Member
The fried mac and cheese was delicious! As were the pulled pork and brisket sandwiches as per usual.

-- Jay aka Fut