• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

All hail the BBQ 2013 thread!!!

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Dear big burly bbq men,

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this question, but what's the best Charcoal BBQ to get? I was going to with a Weber, but wondered if there is another kind i should be considering too.

signed,
the wee lass who's never had a bbq

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
The star review had some great things to say, and of course like any critic they have to offer some negative points. However she did love the brisket sandwich and called it a winner!!!

Some of the negative points was for some reason she tasted powder in her sauce which seems odd to me, and the slaw could use some improvements. For 3 weeks old I can accept those comments and glad she really did love my brisket.

The restaurant industry is not for everyone however I'm enjoying it. The intense feeling when you get when a huge rush is coming is amazing. Especially when you have the right people in the kitchen. You just see this nice flow happening with everyone.

Time flies for me now... when I was at the office it felt like it just dragged all day looooooooong.

Marky

dstarr

TRIBE Member
I bought a 6.1 KG brisket from this place this weekend:

Rolling Acres Natural Beef

At $16/kg it was the most I ever paid for a brisket... seems REALLY steep to me but this place doesn't slaughter cows on the regular because of how they farm so they don't always have brisket. He had some great smoked meat he had made on site that I took home.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dstarr

TRIBE Member
I think I am going to help do up something for about 20 people for a dinner party next weekend.

Any suggestions for something interesting or cool I could do?

Maybe a big turkey might be interesting... but is there some big cut of beef I could smoke that's not brisket?

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
Make a bunch of different "Fatties"

We do prim rib fatties at the smoke house which is prim rib and a sausage filling. The dijon one is my favorite!!!

you can also have a bacon weave if you choose to do so.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
This may be a off topic but working in the kitchen you can encounter some slippery moments lol. However I got these shoes called "tarantula anti slip shoes".

What a difference I tell ya!!! If anyone works in the kitchen these are a must have. I'm very impressed with the grip you get with them.

29792_5ANDDK2-3506J_Prod_1_default

sk8

TRIBE Member
We got some BBQ for Father's Day - it was quite good. Big Bone BBQ - we got a combo platter with ribs, pulled pork, smoked wings, fries, coleslaw, beans and cornbread. I'm a huge pulled pork fan so that was my favourite. My 7-year-old ate more than me! She LOVES bbq - the ribs were her favourite.

We don't have a smoker (or a bbq that accomodates smoking) so it's not something we can do at home yet :(

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Not sure why i never took the time to brine my chicken before grilling it.

I will never BBQ chicken (especially chicken tits) any other way again....EVER.

dstarr

TRIBE Member

What recipe did you use? I'm interested in doing this next time I do a chicken. I think I'm going to smoke one in a few weeks.

I have been perfecting my pulled pork over the past few weekends. I did up two 8 pound butts on Saturday and they were really good but was it ever a stressful cook. I got a really nice smoke on them with cherry wood and transferred to the oven at about 174 internal or so, so that I could not worry about the fire and try to relax before the party... well, they ended up taking FOREVER to get above 190 and I ended having to skip my afternoon nap because I was worried they weren't going to get to 200 in time for the guests. Having a wireless remote can be a terrible because you end up watching the temp constantly.

My buddy went after a brisket on Sunday and had some friends over. He got a really nice bark on it but it was dry in places... he feels the butcher took too much fat off it. He had the temp at about 250, had it on for 12 hours.. wrapped in butcher paper... the whole nine yards as per Aaron Franklin's video.

sk8

TRIBE Member

Could you do this with boneless, skinless? I know it's probably BBQ sacrilege to do so but it's easiest for a weeknight and I really want to BBQ more this summer.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Could you do this with boneless, skinless? I know it's probably BBQ sacrilege to do so but it's easiest for a weeknight and I really want to BBQ more this summer.

I don't see why not , and don't know why it would be bbq sacrilege.

It's a great way to BBQ a thick breast without butterflying it, and cooking it until it dries out.

Only need to brine for about 3 hours (as opposed to the many hours on a pork tenderloin)

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
I want to bring the family over soon, but I have to ask. Do you use any peanut based products? Oil? rubs? I have a BBQ loving girl who is allergic to peanuts

No we don't use any peanuts however we can't promise any of the supplies we get are made in a nut free environment.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
Any meat can go through a brine just make sure you rinse it properly or it will be too salty.

You don't have to brine a pork butt as the meat is too dense, so just inject that cut.

sk8

TRIBE Member
I don't see why not , and don't know why it would be bbq sacrilege.

It's a great way to BBQ a thick breast without butterflying it, and cooking it until it dries out.

Only need to brine for about 3 hours (as opposed to the many hours on a pork tenderloin)

OK cool, I could throw them in the brine in the morning then ready for grilling at night.

You just always hear about fat and bone and adding flavour so much with meats, I figured the die-hard bbquers wouldn't be so hot on removing all of that!

dstarr

TRIBE Member
Any meat can go through a brine just make sure you rinse it properly or it will be too salty.

You don't have to brine a pork butt as the meat is too dense, so just inject that cut.

What's the general procedure for doing this? There is a formula for how much salt to water right?

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
What's the general procedure for doing this? There is a formula for how much salt to water right?

2 TBSP of Salt (fine kosher) for each 1 Cup of water.

Personally, i boil a small portion of the water with all the salt to ensure that it's well diluted (and add a few spices.. Bay leaves, fennel seeds, allspice berries, peppercorns and a clove or two of smashed garlic ). I'll then add a bit of sugar and the remaining cold water with ice cubes, or refrigerated water . You never want to toss your meat into a warm brine, as that will breed bacteria.

Last edited:

dstarr

TRIBE Member
2 TBSP of Salt (fine kosher) for each 1 Cup of water.

Personally, i boil a small portion of the water with all the salt to ensure that it's well diluted (and add a few spices.. Bay leaves, fennel seeds, allspice berries, peppercorns and a clove or two of smashed garlic ). I'll then add a bit of sugar and the remaining cold water with ice cubes, or refrigerated water . You never want to toss your meat into a warm brine, as that will breed bacteria.

Awesome, I am def doing this soon.