• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

All hail the BBQ 2013 thread!!!

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
I haven't read it yet just winding down now from a very long shifts!!!

The reporter was a very nice lady and made it really easy to get through the review process.

Here's a pic of our Club house sandwich.

It's a beast of a sandwich I tell ya!!!

179966_10151373162001389_123842272_n.jpg

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

dstarr

TRIBE Member
Your place looks great and although it's hard to just bbq by looks... but it looks great to me. I will def try it out.

Now am I correct in thinking your connection to your butcher is a HUGE advantage?

I know some of the BBQ places in Ottawa have had troubles getting the right cuts, etc and had to spend lots of time working with supplies in the critical early months.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Wow that looks amazing. I'll be heading down at some point soon since I don't work too far! What are your hours?

I smoked my first brisket yesterday. It was a 4 pounder. It turned out super delicious, although the smoke wasn't as strong as I wanted. There are obviously lots of variables in play and I'm sure with what I have learned I will be able to improve each time.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I cruised by your joint the other day MOD ONE, as I live up near there. I plan to pop in soon and get my brisket on. Thought that club looks great! When's the bset time to come?

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
Your place looks great and although it's hard to just bbq by looks... but it looks great to me. I will def try it out.

Now am I correct in thinking your connection to your butcher is a HUGE advantage?

I know some of the BBQ places in Ottawa have had troubles getting the right cuts, etc and had to spend lots of time working with supplies in the critical early months.

Being partnered up with BBN is for sure an advantage. It helps the the customer knows I'm getting meat from a butcher they know and love. He gets me nothing but the best cuts of meat. The ribs I get from him are some of the best I've seen they are so meaty for baby back ribs.

Our slow rush is lunch on the weekdays, so my guess if you want to get a seat come at 1:00-1:30. However once people start coming home from work our dinner rush gets busy.

Spinsah tell me when you come in I will cut you a fresh brisket from the cabinet. We mostly sell brisket sandwiches as it seems to work well with the on the go environment we have... take out location.

If I could recommend my favorite cut of meat to try it would be the baby back and the pulled pork. The brisket is pretty tasty as well IMO. Love making myself a poutin topped with shaved brisket.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S brine the brisket and inject next. It will work wonders on your brisket... gotta go to sleep.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dstarr

TRIBE Member
I am doing a 15 pound brisket and two 8 pound pork buts this weekend for a cottage crawl on Saturday night.

I think I'm going to smoke the brisket for about 3 or 4 hours tonight during the Sens game and then wrap it and put it in the oven over night so that I can be sure not to screw it up. I never even tried a brisket that's more than 6 pounds so there is a strong chance I could screw it up and it wouldn't be ready in time or will be too dry and I'll waste an expensive cut of meat.

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to smoke the pork butts the whole way.

Question about resting/"storing" my meat: When they are done, can I wrap them in foil and then a towel and let them sit for a few hours or will that screw them up?

I ask because I am going to have everything done by about 4pm, then I'll probably go walk around cottages and shot gun beers and come back about 7 and get everything ready. Just wondering if I need to worry about the meat or if I can just let it sit.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
I am doing a 15 pound brisket and two 8 pound pork buts this weekend for a cottage crawl on Saturday night.

I think I'm going to smoke the brisket for about 3 or 4 hours tonight during the Sens game and then wrap it and put it in the oven over night so that I can be sure not to screw it up. I never even tried a brisket that's more than 6 pounds so there is a strong chance I could screw it up and it wouldn't be ready in time or will be too dry and I'll waste an expensive cut of meat.

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to smoke the pork butts the whole way.

Question about resting/"storing" my meat: When they are done, can I wrap them in foil and then a towel and let them sit for a few hours or will that screw them up?

I ask because I am going to have everything done by about 4pm, then I'll probably go walk around cottages and shot gun beers and come back about 7 and get everything ready. Just wondering if I need to worry about the meat or if I can just let it sit.

Wrap your brisket in foil then wrap 2 towels around the brisket. Then take boiling water and fill a cooler and let it sit for a little. Dump out the water this will get your cooler nice and warm. Proceed to put your warped up brisket in the cooler and it will keep it warm for a while. That being said you only have so long till the heat runs out. I have used this method before and no it wont dry it out as there isn't enough heat to do so.

I would also try and get your brisket in the smoker for as long as you can as you want the smoke to penetrate the meat.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
R4V4G3D_SKU11S brine the brisket and inject next. It will work wonders on your brisket... gotta go to sleep.

I did a mustard with dry rub the night before. Would I brine it and then do the mustard/rub or skip that altogether? I was going to grab a meat injector but I don't know what to do with it!

I'm going to use wood chunks in my smoker box instead of chips this time. I'll probably drop them right onto the flame until they start smoking and then move it to the preheated smoker box.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
There are 2 methods I use when I brine either you inject it or soak it.

I soak my brisket however it makes it much easier to do when you have a walk in cooler.

I can soak up to 8 briskets with a big ass pale... thing gets heavy once you fill it.

I find with wood chips you take both hands and take 2-3 hand fulls and soak it in water over night. Try the 3 first hand fulls and see if that is too strong for you and then work your way down from there. I use 1-2 logs pre cook.

When I cook in the backyard which isn't much anymore. I used wood chunks you don't need to soak them just toss them in with the fuel and you're good to go. I used 3 chunks, but for bigger cuts of meats I would feed the fire once in a blue moon. Bigger cuts of meats require more wood to penetrate the meat.

Last edited:

dstarr

TRIBE Member
Ok so everything turned out pretty good this weekend.

I put the brisket on the smoker for about 4 or 5 hours with big chunks of oak on Friday night then wrapped it and transferred to the oven at 210 for about 9 hours.

970471_10152830255595080_1438897846_n.jpg

It was pretty good... maybe a tad dryer than I would have liked but overall pretty good for my first attempt at a brisket that big for a huge crowd. I woke up at like 8am sat morning and the wireless temp told my internal temp was 180. I was shocked but I had to trust my guage. I thought a 15 pounder would take much longer to cook than that...

The pulled pork was amazing. I was REALLY nervous it was going to be dry or not cooked but in the end, it was the better of the two.

Did this on the smoker the whole way. Wrapped in foil with some beer at like 6 hours and then finished to 200 internal temp which took a few more hours and let it sit for about 1.5 hours wrapped. The bone came right out with no effort at all and it tore like butter with my hands. There was so much fat, my picture is all blurry.

268953_10152830249665080_1755547387_n.jpg

165412_10152835968875080_12907342_n.jpg

This was also my first time using the wireless temp guages that monitor the grill and the meat. By far the best investment I have ever made as it really helped me learn how to manage the temp of my cook and figure out when the meat was done.

dstarr

TRIBE Member
Is that the Redi Chek Maverick? I have it as well and it is a godsend.

The temp guage? No, it's the Big Green Egg one... I wanted one and didn't have time to drive all over the city so I just grabbed it last week on my way to the cottage. It was $90 so there's the BGE premium there for sure.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
I just use one of these and fine it does a great job, and wont cost you a crap load of money.

$15 bucks!!!

$T2eC16ZHJGkE9no8iMDRBRN-q!Ce3w~~60_12.JPG

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
It's amazing the amount of meat I just sold with in a matter of hours. Lunch rush was very lite. Once 5:30 hit I got slammed with some very hungry people. Almost sold out of all my meats just had a little brisket left, which I gave out as samples as a friendly gesture.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
If you happen to be reading the Toronto Star on Monday please check out the review from a food critic (I forgot her name, but I remember her face)... she had nothing but good things to say. She really loved the brisket!!! That made me very happy as brisket has always been known to be a tougher meat to cook.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
^^Thanks

It was so slow at lunch, but once dinner rush came we sold out of meat. If you come by I highly recommend the afternoon hours. Once we get closer to 7pm the meat starts selling out, so you have less of a choice.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
to be honest, i'd prefer to see and be the rush.
really gives a person a solid grasp on how the food is really wanted by the masses. do you have security yet ?

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
no security at the moment however I may need one for the last few customers that come at close and find out we are sold out. I even increased the amount of meat I usually cook and still sold out. Next week I'm going to increase it again and see if I can hit that magic number.

That's what I find to be one of the trickiest parts of this business, which is forecasting how much meat/food you should cook. I hate wasting food.. it's like throwing money down the drain!!!

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Tell the next customer that complains that you won't run out tomorrow, and to come back here for a minute I want to show you something.

I'm sure it is difficult to forecast demand, but you'll get in the swing of it in no time. It was the same thing with the bike shop (without the added problem of perishables) Hobos and others who are down on their luck need to eat, and you could probably spin it to a positive PR thing too- everybody wins! This is assuming you have the capacity to make extra that is!

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
I have more then enough capacity my smoker can cook up to 600lb of meat and my 2 holding cabinets can hold up to 400lb each so the room is there. Each week I increase the amount of meat cooked till I hit that magic number.

Most customers understand that we can not just pull something out of the fridge and grill it on the spot. When you slow smoke you have to do batch cooking and hope you forecast your day right. Me being new to the industry gives me a slight learning curve. However I think we are getting closer to that magic number.

It was nice to meet Funtronic(sp?) he came by the smokehouse and enjoyed the beef brisket sandwich with a creamy slaw. Very cool individual, and it was nice to have a chat with ya.:Dbaconpan

futronic

TRIBE Member
It was nice to meet Funtronic(sp?) he came by the smokehouse and enjoyed the beef brisket sandwich with a creamy slaw. Very cool individual, and it was nice to have a chat with ya.:Dbaconpan

Nice meeting you also, Mod! The brisket sandwich was great. Thanks for letting me try the smoked tomato gazpacho too. The texture was excellent, it was well-seasoned, tasty, and a nice treat for the very humid day.

I'll be back soon, hopefully to try the ribs and some other stuff. Keep it up!

-- Jay aka Fut