• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

akufen

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
since everyones still sleeping.....I thought I'd start it off...

got there when akufen was on.
rammed full in the back room.
(everyone loves akufen! :D)

no room to dance really....which sucked, since that's the reason I went.

akufen sounded the same everytime I've ever heard him (which isn't always a bad thing....)

task (?) was up next. good techno tunes, but I had to bounce.

dtox, you still owe me ;)

rawk awn

destro
edit- didn't see seanseeker :( (even with my new glasses!)

beaker

TRIBE Member
akufen played a nicely programmed set. wish i could have stayed for whoever was on after. it sounded promising.

exrboy

TRIBE Promoter
I thought Akufen was tonight. I convinced the gf that we would go tonight. I guess not now. whon whon.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by exrboy
I thought Akufen was tonight. I convinced the gf that we would go tonight.
Ha ha ha

I wanted to go..but.. it sounds like it was really crowded and the place where he was playing isn't pretty big.

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
akufen's set was too tame and too short - the crowd was ready to go off at any moment and it seemed as if he was just getting the crowd warmed up when he finished his set - i thought the dj's that played before and after matt's set were slamming - kudos

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Arthur Oskan

TRIBE Member
It was awsome to see that back room packed. I just have one thing to say.
WHAT DOES THIS CITY NEED TO DO TO PULL THESE PEOPLE OUT FOR LOCAL TECHNO EVENTS?! IE MONO. Its so depressing when we have internationally acclaimed artist playing/hosting nights in the city with little to no support. I'm sure this topic has been beated to death, but its just a reminder how bad shit has gotten in terms of support with regards to techno.

There is something seriously wrong here.

Regis, Can I use a lifeline?

Arthur

ian

TRIBE Member
Great night. COngrats of 5 solid years to the Wabi collective.

Good sound (although could have been louder when Akufen was on). I agree Akufen's set contained little new material which was too bad. That said, he was a last minute addition so likely he did not have time to do something new.

Wabi guys were rocking on the decks after. . .

PACKED TO THE RAFTERS! Whoot whoot!

Nice vibe in the place too. . . It was hard to dance thoguh :D

-ian g.

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Arthur Oskan
^^^^^
toms, good to see you last night dude.

i went to buy you a beer, why did you take off???
great to see you arturs...take off? i must have gotten sucked back into the main room ! i have to say i thought the sound in there was as good as i've heard at surface - it was nice to have a few moments when i could feeeel the bass rumbling in my belly ;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

juice

TRIBE Member
Good to see the wabi party as packed as it was and seeing a lot of good friends out as well. Surface was looking really good. I thought Akufen was good but he could have gone on much longer. That being said though he was at the club for pretty much the whole night helping out with some demos earlier on in the night.

The wabi guys that came on before and after were just great, the sound setup was amazing for Surface. Left about 2:30am as my GF and I were quite tired after being there from 9pm onwards helping out at the door. Another great wabi party.

Dave Lee

TRIBE Member
room for dancin?

Dudes I dunno where you all were but there was plenty of bodies moving up near the front. After going into techno/dancing retirement for the past 1.5 years or so I gotta say that last night brought back lots of good memories like all the old faces and the awesome tunes.

Akufen has been accused of regurgitating his sets much like what was applied to Theorem in the past but whatever... as long as you enjoy it what does it really matter. If you look at his musical evolution within the last two years he's done more to change his sound and his sets from set to set than other techno monsters out there like oh I dunno.... Richie Monotone or Jeff Milling-the-same-sound-for-10-years. Not that those guys don't deserve any credit but Akufen can't be an innovator every time he goes out to play. That's not fair to the man.

He made microhouse a new genre (even though I think he hates that moniker I could be wrong). He made ableton live famous. He popularized micro sampling. He fused house and techno in a way that hasn't moved me since Herbert or Dub Taylor.

But now I'm rambling and I'm out of touch with the "Scene" so ignore this technosnob's rant =)

Gotta throw a shoutout to Task for throwing down a pumpin' opening set. And shoutouts to all the technophiles that make me wanna come out of retirement full time: ian, sarah, zuza, adam, kf, kerri, sam, jamie, sandy, alex, tom, and all the other people I'm sure I'm missing.

God now i feel cheese. lol

dave technomeet lee

Bean

TRIBE Member
zut to missing this jam!

it's good to read that it was full and fun.

dave, i can't believe you used the term microhouse. :)

peace,

sabina

kuba

TRIBE Member
pardon me as Im not in "the know" with techno djs or the wabi collective. Last night was my second ever wabi party. I must say this: The dj before akufen was amazing. Then akufen himself was (to me) great too cuz he changed it up large. I danced pretty much through the night here and there. Yes it was packed but you got to find room. The interior setup and installation was wicked also. Conrats to the wabi crew on the fifth anniversary, and Im glad I finally made my way cuz I'll be back for more. :)

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
got in late

good crowd

fairly good music (not toally my bag but i was diggin it and was moving for sure :) )

really good company (two Detroit partners in crime with their lovely host :^) made the night was it was for me and that's the honest truth

here's the kicker for the night (sorry to be negative but i'm the kinda guy to call something like this out if i see it because i give a shit about this kinda stuff)

how do you run out of bottled water?
how do you run out of orange juice?
can someone explain how a bar runs out of glasswear??

twice, like do you not have bussers working? I heard this from other people standing @ the bar with me

THEN with a bartender that sends me to another bar which was stacked 2 deep with people waiting, the 1 bartender who was totally in the weeds but not really giving two fucks and a barbackwho was doing alot of talking to friends took all the time in the world to get on the ball

waited 22 mins (timed it) for a order from the time i pulled myself up to the wood to the time i walked away with drinks

i can tell you all the beats were fresh, the crowd was good, but i will never spend a single dime in that place ever again. IMO They ought to have the staff ### to take care of customers

thus, they will loose people like me who would drop serious coin on liquor sales but won't now because of bad experiences, this wasn't the first time this has occured @ this venue for me sad to say

this was my 1st Wabi party and it hurts me to say all this... On such a night where alot of like minded people are celebrating something as spectacular as 5 years of Wabi...... the experience of a fresh face got ruined because they (the venue, not promoters btw) could not get it together

sorry to put a damper on things, just me and all IMHO

glad to hear everyone had a blast

'G

Last edited:

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
I had a great time last night.
The crowd was great, the club looked good (best I've ever seen Surface), and the sound was perfect.

As previously mentioned, whoever was on before Akufen tore it up! I even heard some old Daft Punk in the mix...nice!

Akufen was on point too with his laptop mastery. Started off really slow, brought it up with some disco house, and then rocked the joint with his glitchy madness.
But just as the crowd really started getting into it...blam...he stopped playing (?). I thought his Mac crashed or something...but I hear his back was killing him and he had to stop?
Anyways, for the hour he was on, I really enjoyed what I was hearing.

Great little jam.
Congrats Wabi on 5 years...keep up the good work.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
good fun...that's my review:D

psssst: go to the front if you REALLY wanna dance...a lot of whining goin' about shit like that at MOST jams like this but I NEVER have trouble dancing....I'm a small guy it seems;)

BTW is it A-Koof-in or AKU-FEN

:confused:

good to see a lot of you out there...jake, perhaps another time?...sorry, too hard to navigate in a sea of black framed glasses:D

task

TRIBE Promoter
straight up.. thank you all sooooo much for your support and participation in making the 5th wabi birthday on the next level..
respect,
task/wabi.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

seeker

TRIBE Member
we got in later than we had planned, but it was right on time. as soon as we checked the coats, in comes a familiar tune -- Inner City "Good Life". very well then. :)

grab some beers, hit the couch, chat away fer a bit, wait for things to build nicely. just about the time that I can no longer to sit down, Akufen comes on. Get up, stand up, jump up and get down! nice one... house grooves for a grafeful crowd. Too short, though... I could have done with a good long dose of that.

not that there was anything wrong with the other, mind. the music of the night was classic. I heard at least 4 or 5 really classic tunes that I recognized. the wabi guys were playing some great beats up there.

I really liked the dip into the industrial flavours around 3ish. just before and after "Monstertruckdriver" + "Hide U". nice timing for a second wind.

ended the night with some tasty perogies, beats courtesy "Wabi 4 year anniversary" CD, a spliff amongst friends and a couple of beers.

4/5

element.8

TRIBE Member
well, our first night in toronto for valentines weekend was absolutely fantastic thanks to the wabi boys.

the venue was tight. reminded me a lot of the stuff going on here in detroit, so i felt right at home instantly. the sound was good, the decor was simple, the lighting minimal and soft...loved the venue immediately.

task was solid as hell when we got there. i was thoroughly impressed. me and my lady were laughing at how he played "goodlife", since its basically unheard of for it to be dropped here in michigan anymore, but it was definitely a pleasant surprise when we heard it coming in. we also think we heard a weird remix of "man with the red face", which definitely got our asses moving.

just like i said before, akufen played his set EXACTLY the way he played it in detroit, down the fucking measure. no joke. granted, we only listened to about 20min. of him in detroit last week, so everything post that first 20min. was all new to us. the last few songs he played were absolutely sick, especially the last track that he played. i was thoroughly impressed with his set, but at the same time very disappointed that he did the same thing he did here. i can understand that its almost unheard of for someone to just so happen to catch a live pa from an artist within seven days of each other, but still...i guess its irks me.

task...ho...le...shit. i was blown away. i honestly was speachless when he was playing after akufen, because it was that good. we hardly hear something that solid and tough in detroit anymore, so to hear him break out all the oldies and some sick as hell new songs, we couldn't believe what we were hearing. task knows who i am, 'cause we're going to bring him to play a weekly here in detroit...and god damn dude...i want it to be soon!!

over all, incredibly impressed with wabi, the party, and the dj's last friday. it was an incredible kick off to our weekend in toronto, and i had an absolutely amazing time.

can't wait to come back to toronto when another wabi party is going on...top notch, class act promoters.

teknophreak

TRIBE Member
disappointed i didn't make it out to the Wabi 5 yr. I really wanted to see all of the Wabi crew and close freinds. Can't believe its been 5yrs that i have known these guys. you guys got me into the different aspects of techno. Congrats on 5yrs of wabiness.
U guys rock! Justin, Jin, Alex, Tom, Sean and Allen..

Wish I could've been there but after a full day @ interior design show i was exhausted. :(
soundz like you guys had a great turnout and why am NOT surprised.:rolleyes:

luv Anna
hopefully we will run into eachother sometime soon!

jus me

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by element.8

just like i said before, akufen played his set EXACTLY the way he played it in detroit, down the fucking measure. no joke. granted, we only listened to about 20min. of him in detroit last week, so everything post that first 20min. was all new to us. the last few songs he played were absolutely sick, especially the last track that he played. i was thoroughly impressed with his set, but at the same time very disappointed that he did the same thing he did here. i can understand that its almost unheard of for someone to just so happen to catch a live pa from an artist within seven days of each other, but still...i guess its irks me.
It's nice to hear a cross-comparison. I was at the party in Detroit, and was thinking of going to T. for the wabi anniversary, alas...

Did Leclair have problems with his lappy? Mid-set in detroit, sound started to click, stop 'n start.