• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Akai MPK 49 - sample pads

Wardo

TRIBE Member
I am seriously considering buying the MPK 49. 400 bucks for a 49 key midi keyboard and sample pads seems good.

I have run across a comment that suggested the pads were not sensitive enough (ie. you have to hammer them to trigger them) and I am left wondering whether I should be looking into another keyboard with sample pads.

Any thoughts?

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
yes i know those aren't the same pads as they use on their dedicated drum controllers. did you try it out in the store? a sales rep would be able to plug it into a computer and let you test.

the m-audio axiom pads are pretty good. also i think the korg padKontrol is priced fairly low these days, and since the pads light up it can be hacked

Wardo

TRIBE Member
thx

yeah. the monome concept looks interesting. I think I'd rather be limited by my gear than have endless possibilities but the idea of being able to completely rewire a piece of gear is attractive. I will check out the axiom. Wondering where in TO would be best to check out gear. Thx.

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
yes i know those aren't the same pads as they use on their dedicated drum controllers. did you try it out in the store? a sales rep would be able to plug it into a computer and let you test.

the m-audio axiom pads are pretty good. also i think the korg padKontrol is priced fairly low these days, and since the pads light up it can be hacked
Hated my padkontrol at first.. love it now.

The pads are JUST right in terms of feel and sensitivity...

I use it for more or less everything now.. drums, programing melody via midi.. locating and working with chords.. and my favorite thing to do.. random drumming on synth and synth FX while recording live, chopping it up and reworking the outcome.

Wardo - "I think I'd rather be limited by my gear than have endless possibilities" I hear you there.. and keeping those limits help with workflow and finishing projects..

but don't rule out the pK just because it CAN push limits.... you don't have to push them if you don't want to :)

I think it's outstanding value.. oh and the sensors under that pads are square.. LIKE the pads.. not circles under square pads.. like Akai. Because of this you don't have to worry about hitting RIGHT in the middle each time you hit a pad and wont risk producing the wrong velocity.. or risk not hitting anything at all! :p

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
Oh and.. side note.

Speaking of the pK and hacks..

[YOUTUBE]<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MnDdA-tz0Tc" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>[/YOUTUBE]

instant APC40 abilities on your pK.

This guy who runs nativeKONTROL makes some of the BEST hacks I've seen for padKontrol, the whole Korg nano series, the APC40, Livid Ohm.. tons of really cool stuff here for the midi controller nerds in all of us.

EDIT - I don't think that video embedded properly.

here is the link.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnDdA-tz0Tc

Last edited: