• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

airplanes are fun

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
[YOUTUBE]I0F958lJ9S8[/YOUTUBE]
was always cool to see and hear this monster flying overhead, as my house always had a great view when it was still doing it's tours here.

Mephisto

TRIBE Member
crosspost from an old tj post...
launch complex 39 has been in view for three minutes now.
we are steaming down the coast towards mo-bay at 9 miles a minute so it will be out of view in about another minute and a half. i reach down and flick the intercom and radio switches silent so i can lean forward to enjoy this sight while replaying the echoing liturgies of countdowns gone-by in my head

booster-go, retro-go, fido-go, guidance-go, surgeon-go, eecom-go, gnc-go, telmu-go, control-go, procedures-go, inco-go, fao-go, network-go, recovery-go, capcom-go...

guidance internal...

ten, nine, ignition sequence start..six...

from right to left in the windscreen are the shuttle recover runway, launch control center and assembly bldg. the origin of our species' deepest forays into space

go for main engines start....five....four...three...

just to the left are two pads where men and women made history strapped to the top of giant roman candles named apollo and STS and thundered into the dark ether above during the saturn V and shuttle programs.

two...main engines start...

further up the beach you can see the old ghosts of sites where titan, atlas, minutemen, redstone and project mercury missions hurtled out of the dreams of man and into the humid, cumulus-filled florida sky

...one...booster ignition...
and kennedy space center slips out of view under the nose and into our baffles. radio, intercom- on. time for a fuel check and another coffee.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
what's the deal with all these A320's going down from cruising altitude ?
this latest one decended from 38000 feet to 6000 feet in 8 minutes, with no radio communication or distress call.
isn't that rate of decent nearly double the norm ?

wickedken

TRIBE Member
what's the deal with all these A320's going down from cruising altitude ?
this latest one decended from 38000 feet to 6000 feet in 8 minutes, with no radio communication or distress call.
isn't that rate of decent nearly double the norm ?
What's freaky about the recent spate of incidents is that it seems that the pilots were or could have been part of the causative factor of the crash. Probably hear a lot more about robots taking over.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
this recent crash, it sounds like one pilot left the cockpit, went into the cabin, and then couldn't re-enter the cockpit, even after trying to kick the door down.
zero radio com from anyone in the cockpit.

German authorities aren't releasing any names of any crew, and that's slightly disturbing.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
absolutely horrific news that this co pilot locked the pilot out, and manually flew this plane into the side of that mountain while passengers screamed.
the co pilot didn't say a word.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
i was sort of stunned to hear that it wasn't already mandatory to have 2 persons in the cockpit at all times, (it is now as of yesterday).

to me it's a no brainer - even if it's a flight attendant, they should have an extra person in there to unlock the door for whomever has left. What if while the pilot/co-pilot were out the other had a heart attack / stroke or became incapacitated in some way. I'm glad that these changes are effective immediately.

acheron

TRIBE Member
there is a code that can be entered to get into the cockpit in the event that one or both of the pilots are unable to open the door from the inside due to incapacitation. However, there is a confirm/deny button to the left of the pilot's seat that allows a conscious pilot to deny the code in the event that someone outside the cockpit is being held hostage and told to enter the code. This prevents terrorists from gaining entry to the cockpit. It didn't prevent what happened yesterday.

The "two crew" rule is already in use in various airlines. It's sort of a weak-link in that the ideal case is for the cockpit door never be opened in flight. Any time it opens is an opportunity. Many newer, larger planes have a washroom inside the cockpit (I presume their meals are also kept in some kind of warmer inside that area as well) ... the likelihood now is that airlines will have to modify their cockpits to include a washroom, doubtless at the expense of a row of seats which will in turn drive up ticket costs.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Yeah airplanes are fun.

Unless you're this guy:

Officials: Co-pilot Andreas Lubitz hid illness - CNN.com

The fact remains, and is repeatedly proven, that pilots are nothing more than dangerous bus drivers. The entire process is already automated, recognizing that computers are more safe than humans.

Eliminate useless bus drivers from the cockpit, and allow autopilot to do it's thing.

Officials: Co-pilot Andreas Lubitz hid illness - CNN.com

Sorry Mephisto if you think it's "fun" to pilot an aircraft, but most recently 150 dead people think otherwise.

You can, and should, be replaced by a computer.

-jM
A&D

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
there's NO way a computer can deal with wind shears on landing...that's the fly by wire shit we expect pilots to nail.

do you, Jeffsus, want your flight to be handled by HAL ?

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
there's NO way a computer can deal with wind shears on landing...that's the fly by wire shit we expect pilots to nail.

do you, Jeffsus, want your flight to be handled by HAL ?
Well my friend, a computer already does 99% of the work of commercial airline pilots, and is only really disengaged to allow their union employees to assume they have a point in being in the cockpit at all.

Google and Tesla are about to deliver self driving automobiles; much more complicated than just flying an airplane. Even their own marketing calls it an "air bus". It's a fucking bus in the sky. Pilots are bus drivers.

To answer your question, do I want my flight handled by HAL (9000)? Yes I fucking do when Andreas Lubitz is the alternative!!

-jM
A&D

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Well my friend, a computer already does 99% of the work of commercial airline pilots, and is only really disengaged to allow their union employees to assume they have a point in being in the cockpit at all.

Google and Tesla are about to deliver self driving automobiles; much more complicated than just flying an airplane. Even their own marketing calls it an "air bus". It's a fucking bus in the sky. Pilots are bus drivers.
It is amusing, after accruing so much public interest and imagination over their driverless car project, that Google only recently clarified that the driverless car needs to have 100% accurate, up-to-date knowledge of road conditions to avoid situations like the car driving through a construction barrier.

Because I don't know of any public roadwork in history that hasn't run long or had items such as equipment and barriers left up after the work was technically complete.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
for all you rotary aircraft junkies/tac hel fanatics, my buddies unit was on this training op and he sent me the link.

pretty neat.

Mephisto

TRIBE Member
Mephisto

What do you think of the whole Germanwings tragedy?
sucks. a person was in a privileged position and that trust was betrayed. like a dirty cop or a diddling school teacher. sadly, there is no bandaid rule or system that can prevent something like this from happening again.

having a flt attendant come up to the flight deck doesn't do much to stop someone with malicious intent and presents more opportunity for compromising safety (now everyone in the first class cabin has a heads up of when the cockpit door will open). it also compromises cabin safety especially now since airlines have reduced cabin crew to a 1:50 flight (attendant : passenger) ratio. viz- one 22yr old flight attendant alone in the cabin serving drinks towards the aft cabin...stuck behind her 250lb drink cart in front of her and a line 10 deep of people waiting to use the aft lavatory behind her. someone in row 2 has a heart attack and needs to be defibrillated. a fire starts in the forward galley. etc. would be nice to have another cabin crew member or two in their proper positions.

it's too bad mental illness/diagnosis played a role. we live in a world where there will be zero tolerance/understanding for it going forward.