1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Airmiles vs Aeroplan

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Magnolia Fan, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Magnolia Fan

Magnolia Fan TRIBE Member

whats the difference or is there one?

2. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

aeroplan is exclusive to the star alliance.

3. diego

diego TRIBE Member

I think that the difference is that one is ACTUAL miles and the other is just some form of collected points.

4. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Aeroplan is Air Canada (star alliance)
    Airmiles is The Loyalty Group

Aeroplan is really more about the free flights for taking flights. Airmiles is more of a catalog of rewards based on collecting air miles at sponsor companies like the LCBO and A&P dominion.

If you fly Air Canada alott and want to get something free for it Aeroplan is a good choice.

If you drink eat by drugs (perscription) tires clothing or gas than airmiles is probably better suited.

www.airmiles.ca

5. Jennika

Jennika TRIBE Member

i like airmiles
    much easier to collect (liquor store, dominion) and if you don't want to save a gazillion miles for a trip you can cash them in for smaller thing...

I've already cashed in for movie tickets and grocery GC's

6. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

they're both free. do em up!

7. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Used to be, but that was back in the day when Airmiles booked flights through Canadian. Airmiles are no longer based on milage to reflect how prices work in the real world a little better.

Tomorrow we will be launching our Virtual Music Store (I work for airmiles so I am a biased source!!!!!!!!) where you'll be able to redeem airmiles on DVD's and CD's. You can also order things like movie tickets or just about any consumer item you can think of.

Its actually an ubber cool concept that they have going, only wish I had thought of it first!

8. PRIMAL

PRIMAL TRIBE Member

Isn't Aeroplan CIBC'S Visa card. Which has around 120.00 annual fee.

That's not free. :)

9. Vote Quimby

Vote Quimby TRIBE Member

No. Areogold has an annual fee of $120. But it is a VISA gold card.

10. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

aeroplan is free. you don't have to have a credit card to have an aeroplan card. trust. this is what i do.

www.aeroplan.ca

11. Vote Quimby

Vote Quimby TRIBE Member

Your right. But that's for collecting at a few places. The credit card allows you to collect on every purchase.

12. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

yup. aeroplan can only be applied to flights from any member of the star alliance. aerogold can be used anywhere you make purchases that accepts visa.

13. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

so Nesta! what would it take to make you a convert?

14. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

what? i'm a bit slow today. :)

15. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

to move you from Aeroplan (my compition) to Airmiles (ie my benifactor!) what would it take. What would I have to offer you to drop your aeroplan and go exclusive with an airmiles card?

Is it a matter of the rewards we offer, is it a matter of where you collect the "points" to begin with. Is it a one time kind of thing?

Inheritly I'm a little interested in why people go with HBC over Airmiles, or why someone would get a home depot credit card over an aeroplan one.

16. matty

matty TRIBE Member

Who would have thought that data mining would become such profitable enterprise that companies would give away free flights and merchandise to get information about what, where, how, and when you buy things.

It's not like I have anything to hide, but i'd just rather not be another profile in the system.

It's too bad that they sell the info they collect for so much money and only give the people they get it from chump rewards, not that I've ever met anyone who's actually collected one.

17. Hal-9000

Hal-9000 TRIBE Member

Agreed.

18. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

I can say for certain that airmiles (aka the Loyalty Group) does not nor ever will sell our customer data. We provide marketing to our collectors and for a price we will promote a product or service to them however we control all aspects of your information and will never give it to anyone. Its actually the privacy policy that our government ended up expanding on when defining the laws about online privacy!

19. Vote Quimby

Vote Quimby TRIBE Member

Future Shop will give you points towards your Areoplan account. Doubly good if you pay with an Aerogold.

20. Astroboy

Astroboy TRIBE Member

I get about 10 free flights a year from Aeroplan, and I love it....

I have yet to get a free flight from Airmiles, even tho I have thousands and thousands of miles...

I get i point, for every dollar spent with my Aerogold Visa, and there are bonus points awarded at merchants all the time...it's a great package IMO.

21. Vote Quimby

Vote Quimby TRIBE Member

Never collected an award???

My buddy flew all around the world many times when he quit his job. All on points.

22. Vote Quimby

Vote Quimby TRIBE Member

You can't collect Airmiles at HBC any more. So I use their card

And since I can collect Aeroplan miles on everything I buy with my Aerogold, I use that. And if the retailer, like the LCBO offers Airmiles, I swipe that too.

23. *SiLver*RoBoT*

*SiLver*RoBoT* TRIBE Member

I've flown my gf and myself to several places since I signed up. It's a good concept, especially for business travellers.

If you plan on flying to Asia on Air Canada, sign up for an Aeroplan card, it'll get you a free trip to the States I'm sure, based on the miles you travel to get to Asia.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

24. Boo

Boo TRIBE Member

not anymore :(

I have an airmiles Amex. I've got about $80 in free groceries so far.

25. matty

matty TRIBE Member

I just said that I hadn't met anyone. I'm sure there are lots of people who get things. From the looks of it you just need to drop big chunks of cash on plastic to rack up the points.

RE: privacy...

"The Loyalty Group does not give, rent or sell Collector lists from the AIR MILES® Reward Program to any organization or individual other than business units of The Loyalty Group, Sponsors of the AIR MILES® Reward Program and companies contracted to process and manage Collector transactions, redemption requests and communications. In addition, a Collector's specific transaction information from one AIR MILES Sponsor is not disclosed to any other AIR MILES Sponsor."

"The Loyalty Group will use this information from time to time to promote additional products, services, rewards and special offers from the AIR MILES® Reward Program and/or its Sponsors."

So it looks like the itemized info collected by Airmiles isn't transferred between companies, although I'm sure aggregate data is.

Why should I help the loyalty group, and in turn all their customers, figure out that males between the age of 25-30 are 4 times as likely to buy Gillette shaving cream on Wednesdays in the 6 months leading up to Christmas if it's shelved next to diapers at eye level on the right side of an aisle. I don't want to buy 4 times as much shaving cream and I don't need anyone tricking me into it.