• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Airmiles question (Ditto I'm looking in your direction)

silver1

TRIBE Member
If you have X number of airmiles. And you want an item greater then X, can you redeem your airmiles and "pay the difference" type thing?
 
Stop Bill C-10

defazman

TRIBE Member
After 2.5 years I now have 350 airmiles. Should I keep saving for something good or get that "Brittney Live in Bangcock" DVD I have my eye on?
 

crave_e

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1
If you have X number of airmiles. And you want an item greater then X, can you redeem your airmiles and "pay the difference" type thing?

Yes you can but depending on the delta, it may not be worth it.
You can call them on their toll free line, and they will give you the calculations for cost of extra airmiles.

I was short 500 Airmiles for my trip to Japan, and the cost to buy Airmiles was ridiculous.
 

silver1

TRIBE Member
CRIPES!

I just found on the Airmiles web site that you can indeed purchase extra airmiles...... for 50 cents each!

Ok. If I had to buy the extra airmiles I need for the item I want, I would be paying like 3 times more then the item is worth!! :eek:
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
The statement that came in yesterday said I have about 1,200. woo!

Thank you LCBO.

I now have enough to get a crappy v-tech cordless phone to replace the crappy v-tech cordless phone that i bought with airmiles last time. ;)
 

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Yes you can depending on the reward. But in all honesty I don't know if its really worth it (unless we're talking about like 20 airmiles or a similarly small denomination) I'm searching for the FAQ that describes it or something along those lines with a real conversion.


(as a general rule 1 airmile is worth around 0.05)
 

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1
CRIPES!

I just found on the Airmiles web site that you can indeed purchase extra airmiles...... for 50 cents each!

Ok. If I had to buy the extra airmiles I need for the item I want, I would be paying like 3 times more then the item is worth!! :eek:

yeah thats kind of what I expect to be honest!! Its generally sheaper unless you only need a couple of airmiles to make it happen.
 

kat

TRIBE Member
is this for a trip or an item?

for a trip you'd have to pay some of the difference anyway - since you cant pay the baggage taxes etc. with airmiles.

for an item im pretty sure you can, but like ditto said - its really not going to be worth it

just go to the lcbo and save them up.
i think you can 15 amrms just for buying some 14$ bottle of rum
or dominion
15 amrms for buying 3 dove/lever products
 

kat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
I now have enough to get a crappy v-tech cordless phone to replace the crappy v-tech cordless phone that i bought with airmiles last time. ;)

try the uniden one? its 50 amrms more..but ooooh charcoal
or the motorola one..same amount as the vtech
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kat
try the uniden one? its 50 amrms more..but ooooh charcoal
or the motorola one..same amount as the vtech
Oh, I'm just joking around. My current crappy v-tech phone still works alright, so I won't be replacing it yet.

Right now the mixing bowl set, vegetable & rice steamer, and crock pot are piquing my interest.
 

Jennika

TRIBE Member
I had about 3400 air miles. I was saving for a digital camera that was 3950 air miles. then I realized if I cashed my air miles in for Japan Camera gift certificates (125 miles for each $20 certificate) I could buy a better camera of my choice for the same amount of miles :)


I love my air miles, but I'm royally pissed that at the end of this month you can't collect with UPS anymore... that's how I earned almost all of my miles through our work UPS account.
guess I have to start drinking more ;)
 

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jennika
I had about 3400 air miles. I was saving for a digital camera that was 3950 air miles. then I realized if I cashed my air miles in for Japan Camera gift certificates (125 miles for each $20 certificate) I could buy a better camera of my choice for the same amount of miles :)

sweet. i didn't know that at all.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

crave_e

TRIBE Member
Air miles is a scam unless you work for a big company.
I work for a company that has direct relationships with Airmiles.
Instead of getting cash bonuses they give us airmiles.

I know of guys in the office that have over 50,000 airmiles.
Last year as a spiff the top 10 sales rep recieved 30,000 airmiles each. The most I have had is 18,000 Airmiles.

Use airmiles for trips or gift certificates. The rest of the junk that is online is a waste of airmiles.
 

dg0425

TRIBE Member
big scam!

Using air miles for travel is a big scam yet for some reason I keep doing it.

Gf and I wanted to take a trip to NY. I had plenty of AM's so I booked the plane tickets but the taxes and service charges came to about $350. How can there be taxes on something that's free. Why do they charge a $40 travel agent fee to book your tickets?

In December we decided to go to Quebec City. I booked a room at the delta using my AM's. Got charged $25 in taxes. Again I ask how can you tax something that's free? On the way back i stayed at the Marriott using my marriott points and they didn't charge tax so why does air miles?

I think certificates is the best way to go although it originally was 100 airmiles for $20 certificate. I got a roots watch with air miles and it never did keep time. Too many bad experiences with AM's.
 

kat

TRIBE Member
crave_e: what company do you work for?

that sounds like youre involved with AMI (Incentives) than AMRP (Reward Program)


UPS and Reitmans have just left the program

but the Dining Program just launched. about 60 restaurants in the toronto area you can collect at. its actually kinda nice..
 

kat

TRIBE Member
Re: big scam!

Originally posted by dg0425
Using air miles for travel is a big scam yet for some reason I keep doing it.

Gf and I wanted to take a trip to NY. I had plenty of AM's so I booked the plane tickets but the taxes and service charges came to about $350. How can there be taxes on something that's free. Why do they charge a $40 travel agent fee to book your tickets?

In December we decided to go to Quebec City. I booked a room at the delta using my AM's. Got charged $25 in taxes. Again I ask how can you tax something that's free? On the way back i stayed at the Marriott using my marriott points and they didn't charge tax so why does air miles?

I think certificates is the best way to go although it originally was 100 airmiles for $20 certificate. I got a roots watch with air miles and it never did keep time. Too many bad experiences with AM's.

the reason why you can use your marriott points to cover all the taxes etc. - is because that is an in-house program

airmiles is an external program..the taxes arent included - especially with national sponsors

i know im sounding like a total corporate monkey here - but if your watch didnt work thats a root's manufacturing program.
 

crave_e

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kat
crave_e: what company do you work for?

that sounds like youre involved with AMI (Incentives) than AMRP (Reward Program)


UPS and Reitmans have just left the program

but the Dining Program just launched. about 60 restaurants in the toronto area you can collect at. its actually kinda nice..

I work for one of the CLECs. I think we sold Airmiles (Loyalty Management Group) a bunch of services and as payment we took
a lump sum of Airmiles. Well at least that is the story I was told from one of the managers.
At the beginning it was kind of stupid, but as we started recieving airmiles for everything we sold, it became rewarding.

My assumption is you work for Loyalty Management Group.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dg0425

TRIBE Member
I still don't understand how you can tax something that's free. Even if it is a reward or has a value. If you don't pay for something why should there be taxes? How do you figure out the amount of tax. 15% of 0 = zero
 

~NoCo~

TRIBE Member
we went to hawaii last january with my husbands accumulated airmiles....it didn't cost us very much in extra fees considering how much the trip would have been normally....

and airmiles picks the flights and stuff so we got to fly on a plane with our own mini-tv's on the backs of the seat with like 5 different movie options and free alcohol!

S.
 

kat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dg0425
I still don't understand how you can tax something that's free. Even if it is a reward or has a value. If you don't pay for something why should there be taxes? How do you figure out the amount of tax. 15% of 0 = zero

well its not exactly free..

airmiles is almost a form of currency

you are "paying" for the trip with airmiles. but you arent allowed to pay tax with them.
the "tax" money doesnt belong to the sponsor we have an agreement with.

with our national sponsors..like airlines or hotels - the flight will cost the same, but the taxes will be different depending on where you live.

especially for trips (bus/train/plane)..there are huge amounts of taxes put on them. this money isnt somehow pocketed to the bus/train/plane company or air miles - its tax

yay real world!
 
Last edited:
Top