• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

AirBnB member fine for renting out home

erika

TRIBE Member
There was something in the news about this last year: it's somewhat of a protection for the hotel industry: those types of rentals aren't supposed to be short-term.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
There was something in the news about this last year: it's somewhat of a protection for the hotel industry: those types of rentals aren't supposed to be short-term.
It was a bylaw passed in 2010 to prevent landlords from turning rentals into hotels unlawfully, the intent was never to prevent an individual owner from not renting their place out.

I used AirBnB when we went to Brooklyn and it was great I would totally use their service again

kuba

TRIBE Member
If you lived in a condo would you want a different set of neighbours every night. Not respecting the property perhaps? I a, not surprised at this ruling for a city like NYC. Then again I am using airbnb for a trip to Paris on Sunday so I am a big fan of the site itself, just that I could see how this could run against hotel laws in NYC.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
If you lived in a condo would you want a different set of neighbours every night. Not respecting the property perhaps? I a, not surprised at this ruling for a city like NYC. Then again I am using airbnb for a trip to Paris on Sunday so I am a big fan of the site itself, just that I could see how this could run against hotel laws in NYC.
the intent of the NYC law was to prevent multi unit landlords from turning their buildings into defacto hotels.

I see no issue with condo owners renting out their units for short terms stays, in fact I think it would be better for the neighbors because if there are issues you can take solstice in the fact that they're gone after a week or so. Also, that the unit would be vacant more often than if it was rented under a lease.

Paris, nice I'm due for another trip back such a fantastic city

kuba

TRIBE Member
Really?

You wouldn't care if you were a condo resident if your neighbour had a different bunch of people next door cuz they are gone in a week or so?

Oh SOLACE not SOLSTICE

hahaha solstice

!

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Really?

You wouldn't care if you were a condo resident if your neighbour had a different bunch of people next door cuz they are gone in a week or so?

Oh SOLACE not SOLSTICE

hahaha solstice

!
I have no issue with it, it's better than owning a condo and having your neighbor rent it out to doucehbags that are protected by landlord tenant laws

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
the intent of the NYC law was to prevent multi unit landlords from turning their buildings into defacto hotels.

I see no issue with condo owners renting out their units for short terms stays, in fact I think it would be better for the neighbors because if there are issues you can take solstice in the fact that they're gone after a week or so. Also, that the unit would be vacant more often than if it was rented under a lease.

Paris, nice I'm due for another trip back such a fantastic city
I'm living in Istanbul now. AirBnb sucks for neighbors of owners that use the system. In the space of a year, our beautiful building of twelve units where everyone knows your name, hangs out for beers on the roof, helps each other out etc... has been destroyed by 4 units (all owned by the same person, one on each floor) are in continual AirBnb mode. It sucks, hotel guests are not neighborhood residents, they have different patterns of use that do not fit with a typical resident, and they should be zoned to different dwellings.

Now the irony is I was a super early AirBnb adopter and have stayed in Airbnbs literally all over the world (as a guest)!

This will be very interesting, AirBnb is one of the hottest California startups right now, if more cities follow suit, I doubt they will ever get to go public. Meanwhile entrenched online travel agencies, Expedia / Priceline are probably salivating.

kuba

TRIBE Member
You have no issue with it because you have zero experience with it as a neighbour. Read wakipakis response..

Btw Istanbul top five city in my books!