• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Air Canada adds $25 checked bag fee for economy travel

The Truth

TRIBE Member
By Pete Evans, CBC News
Posted: Sep 18, 2014 8:48 AM ET

Air Canada says economy-class passengers travelling within Canada, as well as those flying to and from the U.S., Caribbean and Mexico, will now have to pay $25 to check a bag.

The move matches an announcement made earlier this week by WestJet.

The fee only applies to customers on the airline's lowest-fee ticket option, known as Economy Class Tango.

Flyers travelling on Flex and Latitude Economy Class fares, or Altitude Prestige, Elite and Super Elite members won't be affected, nor business class travellers or Star Alliance Silver and Gold members, military personnel or anyone booking with Air Canada Vacations.

"We're matching the market," the airline's CFO Michael Rousseau told an investor conference in Toronto on Thursday. "It's what the market is bearing at this point in time."

The airline says about 20 per cent of its Canadian customers will be subject to the new fee, which represents the equivalent of about five per cent of Air Canada customers system-wide.

Analysts had been expecting the move, especially after WestJet moved first. It's believed the new fees could bring in between $50 million and $75 million a year in new revenue for the carrier.
Changing fee structure

The move is part of a broader industry trend toward making airline travel more customizable, where travellers theoretically pay only for the services they want and need on a flight — from a basic seat to luxuries like food, alcohol and sleeping quarters.

Canaccord Genuity's airline analyst David Tyerman says the airline can expect to see about a $50-million bump in its revenues from the fee in the first year, but that comes with a possible upside for travellers.

"There is definitely the potential for base ticket price reductions, as WestJet has talked about reducing ticket prices this week as part of its first-bag fee initiative," he said in a note to clients on Thursday morning.

Almost all major North American carriers now charge for checked baggage, with the notable exceptions of U.S. lines JetBlue and Southwest.

Air Canada adds $25 checked bag fee for economy travel - Business - CBC News

Stop Bill C-10

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Strange, I've had to pay for checked baggage to US destinations already a few times this year.

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
They just got me on that coming back from Miami but it was totally worth it because I got to watch 2 old episodes of WKRP in Cincinnati on their awesome in-flight entertainment system.

On the other hand , it was a safe flight and my luggage made it.

futronic

TRIBE Member
Strange, I've had to pay for checked baggage to US destinations already a few times this year.

Yes, that policy has been in place for a while. They added baggage fees to domestic flights as well as flights to Mexico and the Caribbean yesterday. The article wasn't very clear about the older policy.

-- Jay aka Fut

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe now Air Canada will be able to hire flight attendants that don't look like Babushkas.

g0nz0

TRIBE Member
Air fare should be a base rate, then the total weight of the passenger and their bags should account for the remaining charge. I mean, it's all about the cost of fuel right? If I weigh 160lbs and bring 50lbs worth of luggage, the plane flight will require X amount of fuel. If the plane is full of 300 x 210lbs worth of passengers/cargo why not charge accordingly. SURE fatty mcfatterson will be paying more and crying about it, "it's not fair to discriminate against those with self inflicted Type 2 Diabetes"...., but neither is charging for luggage, crying babies, or nowhere to store my suit on a plane. Maybe even make an incentive to carry less luggage by getting a rebate or in-flight service for passengers that account for the predetermined total weight. Everyone is not equal and it's time we charge accordingly.

Fuel consumption is the issue, let's address it.

Last edited:

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
dont forget the liberals are going to tax the shit out of fuel for planes so prices be going up again
unless i have to, i always fly out of buffalo, shit ton cheaper

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

erika

TRIBE Member
When you fly on small planes in Costa Rica, they weigh you with your luggage.
On the one hand the fee is in keeping with offering the lowest price possible to those who are always obsessed with paying absolutely the lowest price possible for anything.

On the other, it means more people with monster carry-on crap, and that's a pain.

erika

TRIBE Member
Air fare should be a base rate, then the total weight of the passenger and their bags should account for the remaining charge. I mean, it's all about the cost of fuel right? If I weigh 160lbs and bring 50lbs worth of luggage, the plane flight will require X amount of fuel. If the plane is full of 300 x 210lbs worth of passengers/cargo why not charge accordingly. SURE fatty mcfatterson will be paying more and crying about it, "it's not fair to discriminate against those with self inflicted Type 2 Diabetes"...., but neither is charging for luggage, crying babies, or nowhere to store my suit on a plane. Maybe even make an incentive to carry less luggage by getting a rebate or in-flight service for passengers that account for the predetermined total weight. Everyone is not equal and it's time we charge accordingly.

Fuel consumption is the issue, let's address it.

Great post <in lieu of "like" or "favourite" options :) >