• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

AGP vs. PCIe

CIRCE (Sir C)

TRIBE Member
What are people's thoughts?

As it stands, AGP & PCIe video cards all seem to benchmark out about the same...but I know that the idea is about open ended technologies and the "future" (which is undeniably PCIe)

I know that PCIe is capable of twice the bandwidth traffic of the current 8x AGP but doesn't it seem a bit odd to go from a dedicated video channel (AGP) to putting video back on the PCI bus? I can see it working out for the gamers, but isn't it be a potential performance compromise for the audio peeps? It is certainly the case if you are running both a soundcard & video card off of a "traditional" PCI bus...

Skool me :)

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
it really dont matter anymore wen PCIE is the new standard.

that and no one really took advantage of agp to begin with.

lobo

TRIBE Member
CIRCE (Sir C) said:

As it stands, AGP & PCIe video cards all seem to benchmark out about the same...but I know that the idea is about open ended technologies and the "future" (which is undeniably PCIe)

I know that PCIe is capable of twice the bandwidth traffic of the current 8x AGP but doesn't it seem a bit odd to go from a dedicated video channel (AGP) to putting video back on the PCI bus? I can see it working out for the gamers, but isn't it be a potential performance compromise for the audio peeps? It is certainly the case if you are running both a soundcard & video card off of a "traditional" PCI bus...

AGP is (as you probably know) the older standard whilel PCI-Express is the latest and greatest. The advantage of PCI-Express is that it has a much higher bandwidth than AGP and, thus, able to yield higher performance.
Architecturally, PCI-Express is a serial bus that can transmit data both ways simultaneously while I don't think AGP can (correct me if I'm wrong).

Lobo

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

randyval

TRIBE Member
CIRCE (Sir C) said:

um. they stopped making agp cards, the top end pci-e cards have no compitition from any current agp card.
ati x1800/x1900 series = pci-e
geforce 7900 series =pci-e
the fastest agp card out there right now is the 7800gs and it is $100 more than the much faster 7800gt pci-e.
you can buy a brand new mobo with a pci-e 7800 gt for cheaper than the slower 7800gs alone.
the fastest ATI agp card is the x850xtPE.