1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

after work drinks around king & bay

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Sunshyne Jones, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Sunshyne Jones

Sunshyne Jones TRIBE Member

so i don't usually go for drinks after work around king & bay, but i'm meeting up with someone i used to work with and i want to find a nice place around here to go for a drink or two. not the Duke of Westminster -- been there done that.

i don't really know what's around here, except if we walk over to king & john. i'm sure there are a couple of places around here i don't even know about, so thought i'd ask for suggestions.

aaaaaaaaaanyone?

thankee sai!!

p.s. I used to use toronto.com for this type of thing but they took away the search by neighborhood function from their website! why i cannot say, but what a dumb move.

2. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

try the new Keg location that opened up, its a pretty lively place on Thursdays.

3. Babes

Babes TRIBE Member

The Keg, Jump, Bymark. Reds is also good too.

4. Sunshyne Jones

really? you're recommending the Keg?
    sorry, but I don't do the Keg.

i guess i should say i'm leaning away from pubs and towards a more upscale (but not too too upscale) spot. somewhere kind of cool.

5. Babes

Babes TRIBE Member

I would say the same thing. Yet the Keg on York on Thursdays after work seems to be the place to go.

6. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

bymark is good (but expensive)...you can also try the Irish Embassy (king & yonge) or the Duke of Devon (in commerce court) if you're looking to do the pub thing.

7. starr

starr TRIBE Member

the keg really isn't that bad, in terms of atmosphere and whatnot
    and that's coming from a vegetarian
    jump might be okay as well, but i don't know

i know i've seen a few little hideaway type business bars
    but of course, i can't remember them right now

edit: there's a fionn mccool's (fionna?) on the north side of adelaide, west of bay
    but to be honest, i've been to that and the keg and would go to the keg first

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  8. bombthreat23

bombthreat23 TRIBE Member

I said the EXACT same thing...boy was I wrong...trust me it is THE place to go around here (i am at first cdn place) where all the suits and chickiepoos go...going there tonight myself...

9. Sunshyne Jones

thanks guys.
    i've been to Jump but couldn't remember the name - thanks for that! haven't been to Bymark yet -- tried to book something there once but they seemed a bit too chi chi for the sake of being chi chi - not sure their prices would be worth it. still, good idea and i couldn't remember the name of that place either. having the same problem as starr :)

re: the keg - thanks for the info, and i'll remember that. but for this eve not looking for a place that's too too jumping necessarily, more of the type of place you would take a client so you can talk.

I think Jump may be kind of busy too, but might be just the place.

10. bombthreat23

bymark in the summer patio is good..downstairs is good, and the food is great but VERY $$,

- try the TURF LOUNGE at bay and adelaide...this is EXACTLY what you are looking for...really nice upsacle place...even has off track betting for fun..nice lounge area...

http://www.turflounge.com/welcomeEvents.asp

11. Sunshyne Jones

hey sweet! i think i'll check it out
    thanks bombthreat!

12. deep

deep TRIBE Member

In seriousness, that Keg is a Bay Street magnet on Thursday.

13. bombthreat23

nice I think it is what you are looking for, great place to take a client...

14. bombthreat23

I am putting that to the test tonight!

15. Sunshyne Jones

question re: Turf -- is it a bit of a boys club? do people go to this place? as much as i'm not up for a Keg that's jumping (can't believe i'm even writing that, but i trust) tonight, i don't necessarily want a place that's empty nor do i want to be the only woman in the place :)

16. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

There are women there, it just happens that they are usually on the arm of their sugardaddy who is betting on the ponies.

I think you are being too picky. Just go to Milwaukees. They probably still have $2 beers on Thursdays. Nothing would impress me more than if you got me wasted.

17. bombthreat23

not at all there will lots of girlies wandeirng around...you will be fine!

18. Sunshyne Jones

yeah, i'm a little picky. but i'm ok with that. ;)

anyway, i'm going with turf this time. thanks y'all!

19. evil homer

evil homer TRIBE Member

beerbistro will satisy all of your criteria -- beerbistro.com

it's close, very good food, reasonable but not cheap, lots of interesting things to drink, a little bit cool but not particularly trendy and a nice space to be in. i've sang their praises on here a half dozen times and ppl are always happy.

20. bombthreat23

I WIN!!!!
    g.

21. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

KI

go to Ki, you'll like it SE corner bay/wellington in BCE, it opened 2 weeks ago, they spent $7 million and it looks like it, kicks the shit out of turf, good bar.

22. Sunshyne Jones

that's a really good recommendation too. thanks!

23. derek

derek TRIBE Member

yup, the beer bistro is an excellent suggestion. i luv that place.

all of us workin' d/t cats should go for drinks onetime. soon, i just received an promotion, and will be working from our don mills and eg location startin in dec.

24. Agent Smith

Agent Smith TRIBE Member

You lookin' to get a mustache ride from an I-banker or just have a fun place to chill?

25. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

you happen to know their website??