• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

After School @ State Theatre

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
sooooo.... i heard State Theatre sucks the big one. a friend came in from Rochester cuz he was SO EXCITED to hear Tom Stephen... apparently the space is just awful (the DJ booth is right in the club's entrance), the dancefloor is small and they couldn't turn the volume up because, well, it was Sunday at King & Bathurst... but Mr. Superchumbo gave my friend a record to bring home, so it was not in vain...

anybody go to this that can offer more insight?

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
Sundays at State Theatre are 'Sunday School' put on by GEM Events.
'After School Special' is ChrOme and myself and we do events at Footwork.

Just to clarify.

Carey and GEM always put on great events so I'm sure it couldn't have been a bad night.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I heard the opening night was rammed, a great party.

I will agree though that State Theatre needs some sound system help and could do with a different DJ booth location (where the stripper pole is would be ideal). However, the club itself is gorgeous and I've been to several really good parties there.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
Jeremy Jive said:

Just to clarify.
my bad.
Jeremy Jive said:
Carey and GEM always put on great events so I'm sure it couldn't have been a bad night.
:rolleyes: it couldn't, but it was...

Big Boss

TRIBE Promoter
I went to the opening party, but missed the Superchumbo set. The opener was a fun party and I was suprised to see not that many reviews/Hype about the event.

The concept is great, I think it just needs more time to be pushed and grow. A concept like this is a long term one (ie starting with a base of people, and then letting it grow bigger). I'm sure things will pick up.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

billy

TRIBE Member
Jeremy Jive said:
finally......people are thinking about the children.

what was that night where you had to wear school uniforms and was inspired by a successful night in the UK?

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
School Disco is probably what billy's thinking of.

Not to say your little night isn't badass, but School Disco probably made more of an impact on the general Toronto populace and might be what he has in mind.

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
Spinsah said:
School Disco is probably what billy's thinking of.

Not to say your little night isn't badass, but School Disco probably made more of an impact on the general Toronto populace and might be what he has in mind.
School Disco in it's Toronto incarnation was @ Joe and I think it lasted about a month or less.

Anyways, so does anyone know if Tom Stephan played as badass as last time he was in Toronto?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Jeremy Jive said:
School Disco in it's Toronto incarnation was @ Joe and I think it lasted about a month or less.

Actually, I was hired by mark holmes (who has the rights in Canada for School Disco) to do the promo for it. The weekly night at Joe lasted about 3 months. They have done one offs since. Never should have been a weekly in the first place... maybe a bi-monthly at most.

4PAW

TRIBE Member
sunDAZED school

hit sean miller's set last week
and
while it was FULLY underattended
it was a GREAT set
and
i can only hope the sunday night picks up -- this city needs it!