• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

African Tribal Chant Music Needed

Chicago Kid

TRIBE Member
A'ight, so I've been thinking about this for a while. I want to start my DJ set next Wednesday with an intro along the lines of that African tribal chant/music stuff (the kind of stuff you hear in movies, etc).

Can anybody recommend someplace, website, artists, groups, etc. where I could find this stuff? Thanks,

C

chooch

TRIBE Member
i can send you a list on monday of some tracks

...you may want to start by trying a dood by the name of Setrak...he does northern african beats and is a famous drummer to belly dancers in Egypt.

edit...not sure if this is the style of stuff you are after.....take a listen here.

Last edited:

Chicago Kid

TRIBE Member
Thanks for all the suggestions people...I'll be checking that stuff out. I'm also gonna hit up the library as a resource.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Chicago Kid

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by chooch
i can send you a list on monday of some tracks

...you may want to start by trying a dood by the name of Setrak...he does northern african beats and is a famous drummer to belly dancers in Egypt.

edit...not sure if this is the style of stuff you are after.....take a listen here.
Hey K - not so much the Middle Eastern stuff, looking more for that group/tribally uplifting, beuatiful harmony, vocal, pipe/precussive stuff - the kind that you'd hear in a movie - like when they're showing a aerial shot of the jungle with animals running, or an American is landing on African soil for the first time.

There's some really wicked music in that movie "The Interpreter."

Like an acapella chant at the start of the song (in a native tribal dialect).

Boss - cheers man

AshG

Originally posted by Chicago Kid
Hey K - not so much the Middle Eastern stuff, looking more for that group/tribally uplifting, beuatiful harmony, vocal, pipe/precussive stuff - the kind that you'd hear in a movie - like when they're showing a aerial shot of the jungle with animals running, or an American is landing on African soil for the first time.

There's some really wicked music in that movie "The Interpreter."

Like an acapella chant at the start of the song (in a native tribal dialect).

Boss - cheers man
its not african, but check anything by Jephte Guillaum, and in particular, "the prayer"

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
I can make LIVE African Tribal Chants and do a dance aswell for free.

Just don't ask which tribe it originates from.

acheron

TRIBE Member
O weem O wep O weem O wep...

did you know that "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" was actually written by a guy from Zimbabwe?

why not

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by acheron
O weem O wep O weem O wep...

did you know that "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" was actually written by a guy from Zimbabwe?
miriam makeba recorded a version of it on her first north american release (with harry belafonte's band) and made it famous here, but apparently it was originally a hit for Solomon Linda, a south african guy.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Did anyone mention Lady Black Bamboozle or whatever?

Lizah or Shannon, what's the correct name?

Deep Forest does a classic house track "Lullabye" that has both electronic and regular versions.

-Mercury-

TRIBE Member
i think mofo means: Ladysmith Black Mambazo which is probably exactly what you're looking for.

Cesaria Evora is also really good, but not quite what yor asking for.

cesaria evora - angola (carl craig rmx) is a personal favorite of mine.

echootje

TRIBE Member
^^

Good one!

Salif Keita - Madan (has a few really great electronic remixes)

also check out Bob Sinclair's Africanism series for some great tunes.

{edit} Ladysmith Black Mambazo isn't really 'chanting' sunny :p

Last edited:

Aphrodite

TRIBE Member
lol @ bamboozle

seriously, you have to get The Power Of One Soundtrack

and there are some amazing track on Paul Simon's Graceland Album. omg I love love love that album. features Ladysmith Black Mambazo

and I'd suggest The best of Ladysmith Black Mambazo. you will not be disapointed.

I need more of these tunes

we are

homeless..

homeless..

man is dead tonight it could be you

Papillon

TRIBE Member
The most amazing stuff you will find is my favourite soundtrack of all time - the sountrack to "The Power of One", composed by Hans Zimmer.

You can get it at HMV....

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Aphrodite

we are

homeless..

homeless..

man is dead tonight it could be you
Did you see them perform this with Sarah McLaughlen on Jay Leno?

Wow, that was cool...wish someone captured it so I could burn it on CD.

TECHno addict

TRIBE Member
try and locate the soundclip from indiana jones temple of doom when they are lowering the girl into the fire pit.....

mutherum, sutherum, mutherum sutherum BOOM BOOM

MUTHERUM, SUTHERUM, MUTHERUM SUTHERUM BOOM BOOM

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders