1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Aeroplane at Wrongbar

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by erika, Jul 16, 2010.

1. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Got there earlyish after checking out Juno's show at Paul Petro.

Andy Capp was playing and towards the end of his set played some killer tunes (Andy, titles please!).
    Wrongbar, as a result of those bylaw skirmishes, now has stools all over the place, not to mention the odd table here and there - the couple of tables are alright, the stools a bit cumbersome - the things one must do to conform to regulations...

Then The Makeover came on:
    Rod Skimmins project with his friend Jeremy, whose last name I don't know, but wow! they were, for the most part, too much fun.
    And soulful.
    And sweet.
    And bopping.
    Mixing in tracks, their tracks, their vocals, percussions - I want to see these guys again soon.

Then the man from Aeroplane - I thought there would be two, but there was mostly just one.
    Opening track was strong, some tracks were good, many were mundane, and a couple (remix of The Wall???? That Duran Duran track????) were outright bad and made the place feel like instant grade 8 prom and not in a fun way - more in a "why did you have go to and do that?" way.

So a good night, but primarily BEFORE the headliner :).

2. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Jeremy Glenn is who Todd was paired with I imagine.

A nu soul phenomenon in his own right these days.

3. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    yes that must be him - super nice guy; great voice!

4. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

had this on my calendar for months and bailed last minute due to fatigue... at least I caught them in Miami, what a show

curious, how busy was it?

5. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    moderately so; enough people to make a party, not enough to make it madness.

6. 318

318 TRIBE Member

The Aeroplane split up so there is only one guy left. I saw them at the Digital Future party before the split and their set was a bit more consistent. I still liked the music last night. Pink Floyd was a bit much but I thought the MOR stuff he picked were still choice cuts: Pheonix, Fleetwood Mac etc.. To me it was the more far out Euro disco that saved the night. He saved the new Aeroplane track till the very last and end the set with Grace Jones. Very appropriate IMHO. This one and the LCD Soundsystem after party are the 2 best parties this summer so far for me.