• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Advancements in camping technology

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Someone told me that no one uses those naphtha lamps with pumps anymore. Is this true? Those lamps were awesome.

Stop Bill C-10

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya most stuff is LED/battery powered

As a butane vapourizer user, there's something to be said for combustible fuel, especially when camping.

I guess question is whether you want to bring some extra fuel and carry it around with you or extra battery packs!

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Just browsed Canadian tire and they still make them, but it's like $100 for one of those gas lanterns! The one off of Craigslist is tempting.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
That's what made them so much fun!

My Facebook feed now features the Coleman Lantern that I was browsing on eBay.

Creepy.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I still use the naptha lantern and stoves. The fuel is relatively cheap (although it's gone way up over the years) and no stupid cannisters to dispose of when its gone.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
We still use our coleman lantern. And we use it at home with all these power outages lately! fuel is cheap and a can lasts a long time.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Someone told me that no one uses those naphtha lamps with pumps anymore. Is this true? Those lamps were awesome.

Really?

Those things ARE awesome.

Don't give me some LED replacement bullshit. Nothing is as bright as those lamps.

Also, that "hissssssssss" sound they make is much more enjoyable than an LED's zero noise.

-jM
A&D

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
i was going to mention the wide range of self-inflatable products, but I know what will end up happening to this thread...

djfear

TRIBE Member
I think the best advancements are in nano-scale materials that improve water-proofing + breathability + durability.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I was in Canadian Tire yesterday and was really surprised and happy to see South African camping technology for sale. CADAC is a huge brand in South Africa for portable gas stoves, and Canadian Tire is selling this one model which I bought. I can't wait to use it on this summer's treasure hunting-camping adventures!