• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Admin Notice: I pulled network advertising off the site.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
A month ago I disabled the network ad code running on tribe. What this means is that there are no more banner ads from ad networks running on tribemagazine.com and tribe.ca. I have completely soured on big tech and programmatic advertising specifically.

Why am I doing this? Well, this ad code has not been monetizing the site for a long time now, and instead it has become a way for big tech to track our users. I do not want this.

I will be running local advertising on tribe in the future. What that means is that all the ads you will see here will be individually sold and placed by us, not third by parties.

Currently, our locally sold ads would be inserted into our pages by a piece of code integrated into Google Ad Manager , but when I have some time I will source our own ad serving code so we can do this ourselves.

Soon I will be removing the "sign up with facebook" functionality to take their tracking pixels off our nearly 5 million pages.

Thank you for your patience.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I have disabled the facebook app connection on the facebook end., but I will check it in a day or 2 just to be sure it is actually gone from here.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Still working on that. I have disabled the facebook sharing, and removed our fb id codes from the back end so it now shouldn't be tracking from this domain.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
There is a Quantcast pixel that I sometime use to capture basic demographic data , but otherwise it should be pretty clear now.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
What really sucks is how everything on the internet now rests on Google & Facebook. If I put a capcha V3 on a page, it basically tracks your every movement within a web page and sends that to google's Ai to determine your intent. They claim it is just used for that.

And if every site has facebook tracking pixels except yours, they can still figure out where you went.

People do not understand how fucked the internet has become. These two companies control and shape everything everyone sees online.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
What really sucks is how everything on the internet now rests on Google & Facebook. If I put a capcha V3 on a page, it basically tracks your every movement within a web page and sends that to google's Ai to determine your intent. They claim it is just used for that.

And if every site has facebook tracking pixels except yours, they can still figure out where you went.

People do not understand how fucked the internet has become. These two companies control and shape everything everyone sees online.
This post is absolute gold. ...and undeniable truth that everyone should be concerned about.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member

i wish i understood wtf you are talking about, i really do.
Coles Notes version ?

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Coles Notes version ?
Even if you don't use Google/Fabecook they can still track your activity, at various levels, so you don't have a realistic option to avoid them unless you stay off the www entirely and avoid using "smart" devices.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Coles Notes version ?
An example of what is happening is this:

Google tracks your mouse movements on every page you visit that has google code on the page (say you want a google map on your blog, or use a google analytics tag to see who comes to your site, or you sign up for google webmaster tools so google can find you and index your site in their search engine), all these types of sites have google code on them. Or you use Android.

1) By your mouse movements (or swiping) their Ai can tell that you are developing Parkinsons disease.
2) Do they tell you? No.
3) They sell the knowledge that you are developing Parkinsons to your insurer (they know who your insurer is because they watched you search for a policy and perhaps even buy it online).
4) You are surprised to see your insurance premiums rise significantly and don't understand why.

There is so much of this going on.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
An example of what is happening is this:

Google tracks your mouse movements on every page you visit that has google code on the page (say you want a google map on your blog, or use a google analytics tag to see who comes to your site, or you sign up for google webmaster tools so google can find you and index your site in their search engine), all these types of sites have google code on them. Or you use Android.

1) By your mouse movements (or swiping) their Ai can tell that you are developing Parkinsons disease.
2) Do they tell you? No.
3) They sell the knowledge that you are developing Parkinsons to your insurer (they know who your insurer is because they watched you search for a policy and perhaps even buy it online).
4) You are surprised to see your insurance premiums rise significantly and don't understand why.

There is so much of this going on.
I've set up quite a number of websites including having to implement the Google platforms. This seems surprising since I haven't seen anything like this in the terms of service. However, it doesn't seem feasible that Google wouldn't already be collecting this data via other and varied ways.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I've set up quite a number of websites including having to implement the Google platforms. This seems surprising since I haven't seen anything like this in the terms of service. However, it doesn't seem feasible that Google wouldn't already be collecting this data via other and varied ways.
They are collecting this data in many different ways, it's the Ai linking it all together and generating profiles of you in real-time that is producing these new ways for them to make money. If every website you visit is vacuuming your every activity and data and sending that to google , I think you can understand how comprehensive a profile they could develop. When they link that to your credit card purchase information (they can) and public databases the package of you they sell to interested parties is very multifaceted. You can't see it. You have no control over it. You can't change it.

You can't monetize it yourself. It is your data you should be able to - or not.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Listen to how cagey they are when talking about recapcha V3 and it's tracking technologies.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Listen to how cagey they are when talking about recapcha V3 and it's tracking technologies.
What's the link? There's no doubt all that data is being analyzed though - it's trivial to get tracking on a website page.

Last edited:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
There are many links about this, which may be hard to find in search (for some reason), also much internal back channel chatter with ad network people and people in the industry. Recapcha V3 has just been released and you should really listen to the audio interviews with the product manager and how he responds to questions about what the recapcha product actually does.