1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Admin Notice: I pulled network advertising off the site.

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Mar 19, 2019.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

A month ago I disabled the network ad code running on tribe. What this means is that there are no more banner ads from ad networks running on tribemagazine.com and tribe.ca. I have completely soured on big tech and programmatic advertising specifically.

Why am I doing this? Well, this ad code has not been monetizing the site for a long time now, and instead it has become a way for big tech to track our users. I do not want this.

I will be running local advertising on tribe in the future. What that means is that all the ads you will see here will be individually sold and placed by us, not third by parties.

Currently, our locally sold ads would be inserted into our pages by a piece of code integrated into Google Ad Manager , but when I have some time I will source our own ad serving code so we can do this ourselves.

Soon I will be removing the "sign up with facebook" functionality to take their tracking pixels off our nearly 5 million pages.

Thank you for your patience.

2. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I support you.

3. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

Good, fuck em

4. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

KING move. Thank you.

5. catilyst

catilyst TRIBE Member

6. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

Good stuff.

7. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

excellent news

8. alexd

I have disabled the facebook app connection on the facebook end., but I will check it in a day or 2 just to be sure it is actually gone from here.

9. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

I still see the FB tracking being blocked by Ghostery, same with TWTR

10. alexd

Still working on that. I have disabled the facebook sharing, and removed our fb id codes from the back end so it now shouldn't be tracking from this domain.

11. alexd

There is a Quantcast pixel that I sometime use to capture basic demographic data , but otherwise it should be pretty clear now.