• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Adam Giambrone flips his career over, goes for the back door

acheron

TRIBE Member
Former Toronto councillor Adam Giambrone to run for NDP in byelection | CTV Toronto News

Former mayoral candidate Adam Giambrone is attempting a return to politics, this time seeking a seat at Queen’s Park.

The former councillor and TTC chairman was nominated as the Ontario NDP candidate for the provincial riding of Scarborough-Guildwood on Sunday.

A byelection in the east-end riding is one of five set for Aug. 1 across the province.

Giambrone told CP24 on Saturday that he knows the Scarborough riding well as he spent time there dealing with transit matters when he was TTC chair.

“I’ll be their strong voice to carry their concerns to Queen’s Park,” he said.
In a statement, Liberal MPP Brad Duguid criticized the nomination, saying Giambrone has no connection to the community.

“This by-election is about creating jobs, investing in transit, and helping people in their everyday lives. Scarborough residents shouldn’t be used for an NDP vanity project to kickstart a stalled political career,” Duguid said.
Giambrone ended his term at city hall in a haze of controversy following his high-profile but short-lived mayoral campaign.

After announcing his intention to seek city hall’s top job, Giambrone abandoned his mayoral bid after it was revealed that he had affairs. He later confessed to cheating on his then live-in girlfriend several times throughout 2009.

Giambrone was councillor for Davenport (Ward 18) from 2003 to 2010.

In a statement, NDP leader Andrea Horwath said Giambrone is a strong candidate who will make life more affordable for families.

“Adam is a leader who can deliver results for families in Scarborough-Guildwood,” Horwath said.

The Scarborough-Guildwood seat at Queen’s Park was recently vacated by Liberal Margarett Best, who resigned her post.

Mitzie Hunter, CEO of CivicAction, has been nominated as the riding’s Liberal candidate, while realtor Ken Kirupa is the Progressive Conservative candidate.

acheron

TRIBE Member
To be honest, I really like the guy. He was my councillor before his ill-fated mayoral run... he was very visible in the ward and was responsive to local concerns. He's intelligent, well spoken and a good leader. The peccadillos in his office at City Hall, well that's municipal politics for you. I think Provincial suits him better anyway.

stryker

TRIBE Member
I personally like Giambroni but his nomination for the riding of Scarborough Guildwood just highlights how screwed up out political system is.

Landsdowne and Guildwood couldn't be any further apart in terms of demographics, geography, community needs, etc. He speaks of his experience with the area when he was with the TTC but honestly, that must equate to an afternoon at the bluffs. There is no transportation down there. There are 4 maybe 5 bus routes. That's it. No stations, no streetcars, no subways, no LRTs, etc, nothing to interact with.

It should be illegal for a person to represent a riding that they have no real connection to just because the party feels they are the most electable, or able to generate funds. What is the point of even having ridings.

Stew

videotronic

TRIBE Member
you can literally hear the mental machinations

"well if that guy can be mayor after smoking crack then i should definitely be able to be in politics after banging my intern"

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

acheron

TRIBE Member
on the other hand, maybe someone who is in touch with transit issues is just what scarborough needs.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
you can literally hear the mental machinations

"well if that guy can be mayor after smoking crack then i should definitely be able to be in politics after banging my intern"
This whole Ford crack addict thing may open up politics to a whole new range of people! The regular, drug using, sex scandling masses! Now, instead of a person pretending to be going into political life 'to give back to the community' or some such bogus spin, it might paradoxically lead to more honesty: "Sure I do drugs and I'm really going into political life for the gold plated pension, the perks, and maybe an ambassadorship or a seat in the Senate down the road, but while I'm here I will do such-and-such for you." It would be refreshing!

spaboy

TRIBE Member
He's intelligent, well spoken and a good leader. The peccadillos in his office at City Hall, well that's municipal politics for you.
So cheating on your long time live in gf to bang 19 year olds is municipal politics? No wonder this city is so fucked. Why you think somebody so self serving would be a good "leader" amazes me.

acheron

TRIBE Member
he reconciled with his then gf who is now his wife - so apparently he's good at fixing his mistakes.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
So cheating on your long time live in gf to bang 19 year olds is municipal politics? No wonder this city is so fucked. Why you think somebody so self serving would be a good "leader" amazes me.

spaboy; all politicians are self serving, no matter what they tell you. It's in their nature.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Politicians are no more self serving than your average person. The difference is that they are in a better position to satisfy their own interests. Gyges' ring corrupts.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
spaboy; all politicians are self serving, no matter what they tell you. It's in their nature.
exactly. you wouldn't be in politics at all unless you had this massive bag of narcissism that you carried around on your shoulder each and every day

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I would still vote for him for Mayor. I was sad when he dropped out. We would've had a significantly different city by now.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I honestly think Weiner is gonna face challenges but he'll definitely be a prime candidate. He might not get the female vote but the gay and straight guy vote, he's got.

And look at Clinton and Spitzer. Huge careers.

erika

TRIBE Member
He was my councillor as well; great on some issues, pretty lousy on others (Queen St West development).

As for being in touch with TTC issues, perhaps, though his great claim to fame seemed to be getting bike racks on buses; I noticed 0 improvements in service, funding or anything else during his tenure.

Having said that, he's smart and has a long history with the NDP; I think the policy wonk that he is will enjoy being one of the many at the provincial level better.

peko

TRIBE Member
I honestly think Weiner is gonna face challenges but he'll definitely be a prime candidate. He might not get the female vote but the gay and straight guy vote, he's got.

And look at Clinton and Spitzer. Huge careers.
I know lots of women (myself included) who'd vote for him and don't care about his personal life.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
It should be illegal for a person to represent a riding that they have no real connection to just because the party feels they are the most electable, or able to generate funds. What is the point of even having ridings.
Ignatieff back in boston, amirite? *lol*

anyways, this is why adam will lose. big up what the man stands for, but he shoulda waited another election cycle and looked to break open back into Toronto centre.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I know lots of women (myself included) who'd vote for him and don't care about his personal life.
Interesting. Weiner and Spitzer get an earful down in the US.

Also, everyone knows Adam is gay. I mean, it's pretty obvious she's a beard.