• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

actor-writer Spalding Gray missing

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Actor-writer Gray reported missing
From Jonathan Wald
CNN
Tuesday, January 13, 2004 Posted: 11:39 AM EST (1639 GMT)

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Actor and writer Spalding Gray has been reported missing.

Known for writing and starring in the autobiographical film "Swimming to Cambodia" and appearances in movies such as "The Killing Fields," "Beaches," "The Paper" and "Kate & Leopold," the 62-year-old performer disappeared over the weekend.

Gray's wife, Kathleen Russo, reported her husband was missing at 7 p.m. ET Sunday, a New York Police Department spokesman said.

The New York and Southampton Town police departments are conducting the investigation, the spokesman said.

Gray had his primary residence in North Haven, New York, and a second home in Manhattan.

The New York Times said that Gray's older brother, Rockwell Gray, had last seen his brother over Christmas and that he seemed depressed at that time.

"I wouldn't say he was in a happy state," Rockwell Gray told the Times. "He's been in a fairly depressed condition for some time."

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
aside from the obvious Swimming to Cambodia joke, what struck me when I read this two hours ago was that he was married.
I always thought him a bit of a dandy.

any other celeb missing cases you can think of?
I'm only coming up with Stephen Fry and Margot Kidder...and O.J.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by kerouacdude
aside from the obvious Swimming to Cambodia joke, what struck me when I read this two hours ago was that he was married.
I always thought him a bit of a dandy.

In Swimming to Cambodia he does talk about his girlfriend at the time.

I wonder why that article didn't mention his other film, Gray's Anatomy?

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
ah, silly me, didn't even think about the music biz and the myriad musicians who've gone AWOL for extended periods, usually drug-related - Syd Barrett, Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac, Sly Stone.

Re: Stephen Fry

Throughout his illustrious career, Fry has periodically returned to the theater as an actor. He won particular notice for creating the role of the philosopher Humphry in Simon Gray's "The Common Pursuit" in 1988 (and reprised it in a 1992 TV production). So there was much anticipation when he agreed to co-star in Gray's spy drama "Cell Mates" in 1995. Three days after the play opened to rather poor reviews, the actor apparently quit causing mayhem; although he was replaced by Simon Ward, the producers found the resulting negative publicity too difficult to overcome and the show shut down ten weeks ahead of its scheduled closing. Fry's disappearance sparked headlines, with some fearing the actor was dead. Fry was found in Europe, copped to suffering a nervous breakdown and underwent psychiatric counseling. He also agreed to pay an undisclosed amount to the producers in an out-of-court financial settlement.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lysistrata
In Swimming to Cambodia he does talk about his girlfriend at the time.

I wonder why that article didn't mention his other film, Gray's Anatomy?
That's not his only other film. "Monster In A Box" is another monologue-styled film that falls between "Swimming.." and "Gray's..", and he's acted in well over 30 films in his career and done a few documentaries and talking head style comedy monolgues.