• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Actor Jason Lee brings the heat...

jungleboy

TRIBE Promoter
not too shabby...back on a board...

jason_lee_copy.gif

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MalGlo

TRIBE Member
Born and raised in Southern California, Jason Lee took up skateboarding at age 13. By 18 he was on the professional skateboarding circuit, where he wowed legions of young fans and popularized a move called the "360 flip." Inspired to tap into the commercial aspect of the sport, Lee and a friend started the twin companies Stereo Skateboards and Stereo Sounds Clothing. In the early 1990s, Lee took his tricks in front of the camera, appearing in several music videos--including one for the Sonic Youth song "100%," directed by Spike Jonze. Lee got his first taste of straight acting the next year, when he turned up alongside Jonze as a teenage drug customer in Allison Anders's Mi vida loca (1994).

Lee's movie career began in earnest when he landed a lead role in 'Kevin Smith' 's Mallrats (1995) (at his very first audition, according to Smith). While the film was almost universally panned, Lee received high marks from critics and audiences for his turn as "cynical sidekick" Brodie Bruce. Smith was so pleased with Brodie that he wrote a part for Lee in his next film, Chasing Amy (1997): Ben Affleck's cranky roommate and comic book partner Banky. Lee won an Independent Spirit Award for his performance.

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
I have a picture of myself with Jason Lee, from when I was 16 years old. I met him, along with Mark Gonzalez, Christian Hosoi, Bill Danforth, Ron Chapman, and tonnes of others. They were all doing this North American Skate Tour thing.
Anyways, he seemed like a cool guy. If I get the chance, I'll post the pic later tonight!

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
ha Christia Hosoi haven't heard that name in ages,that boy could get some air.yes i remember Lee from old Thrasher mags,i believe he was sponsored by airwalk at one time.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MalGlo
Lee and a friend started Stereo Skateboards

:eek: WHUT?!?!

haha one of my fav decks back in the day was a stereo

watched chasing amy last night

"i read them for the articles.... THEY'RE STROKE MAGS"

*LOL* (or something like that)

'G

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
He skates in the movie Mumford. It's a nice little flick that not enough people saw--and it's directed by Lawrence Kasdan!

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
my favourite board that i ever owned was a blind jason lee.

blind-jason-lee-grinch.jpg

i remember that day so clearly. bought the deck at hogtown (back when it was at pharmacy and danforth)...replaced my old beat up christian hosoi deck. then we skated down to the duke, cement snake run at a school on carlaw.

i have many fond memories of jason lee. and thanks to world industries, he was one of the first skaters to lead the way in "make fun of yourself" advertising.

one of my favourite ads for world industries was a sequence of jason lee bailing and the ad said "jason lee is not good". hehehe...steve rocco was a nutjob man. i rememeber a world industries ad around that same time too that had a big picture of steve driving his boat and the caption something to the effect of "my lawyer told me that i couldn't really justify writing off a powerboat to the company because it really doesn't have anything to do with skateboards. but if i use it for an ad, then it can be written off". world industries...still fuckin whackjobz...and lovin it.

glad to see he's back on a board again.

- that blind guy :cool:

kmac

TRIBE Member
Glad to see he's back to normal.

I guess he got real buddy-buddy with Tom Cruise during Vanilla Sky and turned to Scientology and was talking shit about skateboarding and divorced his wife.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by MalGlo
always been a fan of jason lee

curious to see that mumford movie now..

Rent it, it's good! Jason Lee is this eccentric rich guy who skateboards everywhere. Which is hot, as I'm also a skaterfucker. But the movie is good even if you're not attracted to skateboys, which I assume you probably aren't. (unless of course you are ;))

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i've always felt that david arquette is a wannabe jason lee.
i can't fully explain my reasoning behind this, but basically whenever i see david arquette, i think "they should have cast jason lee!"

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
i've always felt that david arquette is a wannabe jason lee.
i can't fully explain my reasoning behind this, but basically whenever i see david arquette, i think "they should have cast jason lee!"

jason lee is way better in intellectual roles than david arquette.

he's better at being a sarcastic bastard and not so good at being a goofy goof-off, like arquette. imo.