• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Acronis True Image

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Have any of you used this drive cloning software? Does it work as it is supposed to?

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
I have not, but I am a big fan of Clonezilla.

It is open source and very powerful.

From their site:

You're probably familiar with the popular proprietary commercial package Norton Ghost®. The problem with these kind of software packages is that it takes a lot of time to massively clone systems to many computers. You've probably also heard of Symantec's solution to this problem, Symantec Ghost Corporate Edition® with multicasting. Well, now there is an OpenSource clone system (OCS) solution called Clonezilla with unicasting and multicasting!

Clonezilla, based on DRBL, Partclone and udpcast, allows you to do bare metal backup and recovery. Two types of Clonezilla are available, Clonezilla live and Clonezilla SE (server edition). Clonezilla live is suitable for single machine backup and restore. While Clonezilla SE is for massive deployment, it can clone many (40 plus!) computers simultaneously. Clonezilla saves and restores only used blocks in the harddisk. This increases the clone efficiency. At the NCHC's Classroom C, Clonezilla SE was used to clone 41 computers simultaneously. It took only about 10 minutes to clone a 5.6 GBytes system image to all 41 computers via multicasting!

Highly recommended.

Jay

vaca loca

TRIBE Member
I've used it before and it worked fine. I used it for taking backups of linux servers and had no problems with the restore.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am cloning my notebook drive to a larger size drive, it seems to be cloning nicely.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
I used it quite recently to do a neat trick.

Had a windows 7 install on a standard hard drive, partition of some 160 gigs or so - and I got a shiny new INtel 80 gig G2 SSD.

Issue with creating an image in windows 7 is that it would fail to port over to SSD due to different drive sizes.

With Acronis, I was able to port my install to the smaller size of the SSD with no issues.

JUst did it up - then turned off some windows settings more appropriate for platter drives - and I was cooking with gas!

good shit

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I used Acronis True Image 2011 and it totally worked! My notebook now has a 500 gb drive with everything moved over from the previous 200 gb dive. It booted up perfectly.

Far better and less time consuming than reinstalling the operating system and all the applications! Acronis True Image is amazing!

Photon

TRIBE Member
Love this software. Used it to clone my friends 160GB WD to a new one because it was dying and in a couple clicks the drive was copied and the old one was erased. Plus it was free from the WD website.