• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

ack. i think i lost my drivers license.

mingster

TRIBE Member
so i have a couple of questions.

1. i'm supposed to renew it anyways in july..so i'm assuming i can go renew it this week, and that should be okay? do i need my old license to get my new one?

2. if i drive without my license (even though i technically have it) will i get in trouble? i have my insurance papers..

seeker

TRIBE Member
1. Go to a licensing office and get a temporary replacement. They'll give it to you on the spot and send you a replacement picture card in the mail.

2. Tell a cop you're on your way to replace your license. :)

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
I have no aswers for you, but I will say that if someone gets a hold of your license your life is over as you know it. over.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

AshG

well although if you get stopped for something, you can indeed get charged with driving without a license, it will be thrown out immediately if you take it to court.

also, bear in mind that the temporary license will cost you, not only in $, but the lines are invariably annoyingly long.

finally, here's a way around the situation that costs you nothing:

claim that you've moved to another address(say your parent's or siblings'), and they'll mail you another license for free. but it will get mailed to that new location - just so you know.

then if you really want, just tell them you've again moved, to your old address.

PolishPrincess

TRIBE Member
i lost my actual "card" about ummm 6 months ago....for id to get into clubs i use other id...but i really should get on getting my License so if i do get pulled over..:S This is the third time ive lost it since i got it.....

sadly the building to get a new card is about 2 blocks away from my house....im just always working when they are open.

next day off....you just reminded me to go and take care of this:D thanks

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
so i have a couple of questions.
2. if i drive without my license (even though i technically have it) will i get in trouble? i have my insurance papers..

You get a ticket if caught... in Alberta it's about a $57 ticket. But if you do get a ticket, just say you were on your way to get one (ethical choice for the cop now).

I've been given a ticket for that before.... but I've never used the excuse (apparently my friend has)

AshG

Re: Re: ack. i think i lost my drivers license.

Originally posted by the_fornicator
You get a ticket if caught... in Alberta it's about a $57 ticket. But if you do get a ticket, just say you were on your way to get one (ethical choice for the cop now).

I've been given a ticket for that before.... but I've never used the excuse (apparently my friend has)

doesn't work.
i've used that before.

you're still driving without a license so technically you're still breaking the law. and the fine here is around $100.

buy here in toronto anyway, it'll get thrown out of court, so don't sweat it.

MalGlo

TRIBE Member
your driving licensed.. you just don't have it

what they will do in most cases unless you piss them off.. is make you appear a couple days later at the police station to SHOW the cop your license... and he'll cancel the ticket.. or somethin like that

AshG

Originally posted by MalGlo
your driving licensed.. you just don't have it

what they will do in most cases unless you piss them off.. is make you appear a couple days later at the police station to SHOW the cop your license... and he'll cancel the ticket.. or somethin like that

that's what the pre-trial meeting is for.
cops can't do this, but the prosecution can, and automatically do, if you ask them.

luckily in my case, i was pulled over for speeding, and the cop got so involved in the no license thing that he forgot about the speeding altogether.
worked out very well. :D

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
You can renew it online.. but it takes a couple weeks to get to you.

interesting. i guess i could just carry around my renewal receipt with me until i get it.

kuba

TRIBE Member
the office off of victoria (adelaide and yonge area) was super efficient. I waited 6 minutes and bang.

defazman

TRIBE Member
That's why I never through out old licenses. I think I have 7 now. At least four of them are still valid.

AshG

Originally posted by defazman
That's why I never through out old licenses. I think I have 7 now. At least four of them are still valid.

i do too, though technically they're all illegal to have(you're supposed to cut them up) except for the one with your most recent address, despite the expiration date extending well into the future.

ian

TRIBE Member
I think I remember the police saying they were going with a zero tolerance policy for actually having your physical licnese and insurance card (i.e. no more "time to produce."

-ian g.

zoo

TRIBE Member
i was caught speeding 4 years ago without my licence on me, and i was not only given a speeding ticket, but also a ticket for not having my licence [$100]

i had lost my licence but found it 2 weeks later

i ended up paying the $100 because i couldn't find my licence to show the JP at a court date

AshG

Originally posted by ian
I think I remember the police saying they were going with a zero tolerance policy for actually having your physical licnese and insurance card (i.e. no more "time to produce."

-ian g.

yeah they do say that, but since the prosecution actually doesn't care about that(they have a policy of automatically throwing out such charges if evidence can be shown that a license was held at the time, whether or not you actually had it on you), then it doesn't really matter what the cops do or say about it.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Driving without insurance is the biggie- you can get royally screwed if you do that _ SO DONT!

Driving without a licence is a $250 fine, likely to get reduced if you go to court and explain your situation.

Failure to produce a licence (but technically you'd have one) if you're pulled over is like $90

A replacement licence is $10. If you can bear to stand in line at the licence office this is the cheapest option.

You could just avoid driving like an asshole, and not get pulled over until its time to renew, then you'll get a new one anyhow (for $50 renewal fee)

From your title, I thought your licence was revoked!