• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Accident while U-turning...who's at fault?

aki

TRIBE Promoter
So let's say I'm stopped at the side of a road, waiting for an opportunity to do a u-turn. All cars pass, and just as I'm pulling away from the curb, the car I thought was parked behind me pulls out and hits me.

Who is at fault in this situation? Are u-turns always illegal, or only where posted?

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
You're alowed to make a U-Turn if there's isn't sign telling you that you can't.

I would think the guy behind you is at fault,he should've waited to see what you were doing..

defazman

TRIBE Member
Just say you were pulling out of your spot, or doing a left turn, no need to tell the truth if its incriminating.

And Musical Rush is correct, not all U-Turns are illegal, but I dunno the restrictions on them.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by defazman
Just say you were pulling out of your spot, or doing a left turn, no need to tell the truth if its incriminating.

And Musical Rush is correct, not all U-Turns are illegal, but I dunno the restrictions on them.
i think he's got it ass-backwards - they're illegal unless otherwise indicated.

defazman

TRIBE Member
No, I specifically remember a question on my beginners exam.

Q. Something about when you cant make a U-turn
A. Something about signs telling you not too.

Therefor some must be legal without indicating signage.

Lurch

TRIBE Member
Your at fault.....just be glad it was'nt a motorcycle that hit you because you did'nt look or you would be looking at manslaughter ( I am sorry if that was abrupt but this shit pisses me off....a friend was killed by some bitch who did'nt look before u-turning)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

aki

TRIBE Promoter
I'm confused about the legality of u turns because there are places where signs are posted indicating no u-turns allowed. that would lead me to believe that u-turns are in fact legal unless otherwise posted. but for some reason i've always thought of them as illegal.

This thread isn't helping my confusion :confused:

defazman

TRIBE Member
dont worry, someone is searching the Ministry of Transportation website for the subsection dealing with this. An answer should be posted soon.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
U-Turns are legal everywhere except controlled intersections (stop sign, street light, yeild sign) or where there is a sign posted.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
They put up warnings on overpasses to buckle up – doesn’t mean it’s legal to not wear your seat belt in other areas.
Municipalities/regions often put up signs in response to behaviour – if there’s an area where u-turns are being made and it’s dangerous, they’ll put a sign. Doesn’t mean it was legal before the sign went up.

In the vague recesses of my mind, I remember my dad doing them all the time and then making a big deal about how he shouldn’t, coz they’re now illegal – I believe this was in the late 70’s.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
STOOPID GOOGLE.

God Allows U-Turns is a global ministry dedicated to changing lives through a focus on following a Navigator who will keep us on the right path. Our critical mission is to change lives through a relationship with Jesus Christ, our Life Navigator. The purpose of the God Allows U-turns ministry is to challenge people around the world to make a difference for God as they focus on making bold, new direction choices, with God at the center of their life. Encouraging people to make U-turns toward God, thus changing lives, changing families, is our ultimate purpose. We hope to encourage life-changing U-turns through books for adults and children, a television and radio ministry, a non-profit foundation, e-mail and postal newsletters, U-turns logo merchandise, and many additional methods of worldwide outreach as the project grows.

Jesus promises us all that through Him we can discover and experience life to it's fullest. Making wrong turns, poor direction choices and traveling without a road map are commonplace for many. Many people are not living life to its fullest. We want to reach anyone who is "spiritually lost on the highway of life."

echootje

TRIBE Member
The driver behind is required to give way to the vehicles ahead of him, that means lane changes, turns, and stops.

Rob

aki

TRIBE Promoter
I actually did look before doing the turn. Like i said, I waited until all cars had passed and it was clear. I'm not a stupid driver.

There was a car behind me that i thought was parked. When all cars had passed I pulled out. The guy behind me pulled out too and hit me. I also signaled to indicate I was pulling away from the curb. He did not signal to indicate he would be pulling away from the curb. That's why I thought he was parked there.

Last edited:

kuba

TRIBE Member
I hate when accidents are technically your fault, but the OTHER driver could have easily prevented it. I was reversing and this other idiot was too. I didnt see her as easily but all she had to do was hit the brake and she didnt cuz she claimed i was going 50km/h (in reverse. in a toyota). anyways...

so this guys saw your indicators and you were turning and he still went? wtf?

i'd say, once you find out if u turns are illegal, that will help you.

til then you wont know

but if they are then youre dead (I just doubt that they are)

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by aki
I actually did look before doing the turn. Like i said, I waited until all cars had passed and it was clear. I'm not a stupid driver.

There was a car behind me that i thought was parked. When all cars had passed I pulled out. The guy behind me pulled out too and hit me.
Then he's at fault... but dont tell anyone else you where U turning.

finary

TRIBE Promoter
1) U-Turns are only illegal when posted.
2) He should have been able to stop for you.

Did you have your signal on?

edit: your edit answered my question :)

/f

defazman

TRIBE Member
From the Highway Traffic Act

U-turns prohibited

143. No driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway shall turn the vehicle so as to proceed in the opposite direction when,

(a) upon a curve where traffic approaching the vehicle from either direction cannot be seen by the driver of the vehicle within a distance of 150 metres;

(b) on a railway crossing or within 30 metres of a railway crossing;

(c) upon an approach to or near the crest of a grade where the vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of another vehicle approaching from either direction within 150 metres; or

(d) within 150 metres of a bridge, viaduct or tunnel where the driver's view is obstructed within such distance. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 143

--------------------------------------------------------------------

please note that it does not say all u-turns are prohibited.
municipalities can also accept by-laws prohibiting u-turns at certain areas.

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by qtip
so this guys saw your indicators and you were turning and he still went? wtf?
He said he was parked on the side of the road. He did indicate, but to most people. The car behind him most likely thought he was merging onto the roadway, and not attempting to complete a U-turn.

Cheers ... Ian :)