• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Ableton Tricks, Tips and 'How do you...?' thread

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Some I'm looking for a way to reverse a clip on the fly, like back spinning a record, either quickly or in still in sync.

Also any other cool ideas for effects for DJing would be appreciated.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Some I'm looking for a way to reverse a clip on the fly, like back spinning a record, either quickly or in still in sync.

Why not just launch a clip that has been reversed, mapped to a key on your computer keyboard? (Notice how I did not mention MAC or PC)

coleridge

TRIBE Member

Get the dblue glitch plugin, if you have a PC.

KVR: dblue Glitch - Virtual Effect

It has a reverse effect, among 8 others. It's awesome for DJ sets.

Actually you could run two instances of it. First instance would reverse the track. Second one would use Tapestop to simulate the record coming to a stop.

Last edited:

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
Get the dblue glitch plugin, if you have a PC.

KVR: dblue Glitch - Virtual Effect

It has a reverse effect, among 8 others. It's awesome for DJ sets.

Actually you could run two instances of it. First instance would reverse the track. Second one would use Tapestop to simulate the record coming to a stop.
Great plugin in terms of useability.... although I dont find the interface to be the best... not to mention.. Once I've used Glitch for a while it starts to sound less and less inspiring for some reason..

I find that "Sugarbyte - Artillery" to be just as good if not better quality wise but with a much better GUI / interface...

I would probably say the same for Native Instruments "the Finger".. although I must admit, I have only had a quick look/fiddle with, and have not really gotten too deep in to it.

zoo

TRIBE Member
dblue glitch is extremely powerful if you are willing to be creative with it, in how you interface with it, in how you use it

however i agree that when i am not being creative, when i'm not trying to do things in a different way, i find it is a crutch at best, and completely uninspired/cheesy/bad at worst

but the truth is, i have barely scratched the surface of what it's capable of .. for both producing/recording and live performance

dj.nick.c

TRIBE Member
dblue glitch is extremely powerful if you are willing to be creative with it, in how you interface with it, in how you use it
agreed.

dblue is great and can be used to make some really great tripped out glitch sequences BUT get creative! It's probably the most recognizable vst used in productions where the default settings haven't been manipulated. That can kill a tune for me.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
agreed.

dblue is great and can be used to make some really great tripped out glitch sequences BUT get creative! It's probably the most recognizable vst used in productions where the default settings haven't been manipulated. That can kill a tune for me.
Yeah you knew within seconds of playing it with it that it was going to get very old very fast.