• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Ableton Tricks, Tips and 'How do you...?' thread

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
what are you using for a soundcard? and what's your setup like?

that will determine your responses...

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
after a HDD crash, i'm re-developing mine to see what the new parts for my laptop can do:

2G RAM
P4
Echo Indigo DJ PCMIIA Card (2 stereo outputs)
Pioneer DJM 600 Mixer

As far as templates go - i'm still up in the air on this...mostly cuz I have to RE FUCKIN WARP 1000s of SONGS!

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Balls!

I'm looking at different controllers but functionality vs portability seems to be the issue. Sure an APC40 looks nice and has lots of faders but do I want to lug it to gigs? Or do I go with a Trigger Finger-esque type machine that is portable but I have to cycle through a half dozen macros to do what I want every time.

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
I have a Trigger Finger but didn't delve too deep into programming it prior to the crash....

Have you looked on the Ableton forum?

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
Balls!

I'm looking at different controllers but functionality vs portability seems to be the issue. Sure an APC40 looks nice and has lots of faders but do I want to lug it to gigs? Or do I go with a Trigger Finger-esque type machine that is portable but I have to cycle through a half dozen macros to do what I want every time.
use a trigger finger. trust me.

you don't want anything big/complicated or else you'll run into trouble.

if you use

a) 2 outs into the dj mixer
b) multi fx racks made by using the chain selector
c) turntable style 'clip packs' so you can drag n drop onto the same clip slots

you will be able to get by just fine with a trigger finger without having to change pages all the time.

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
Balls!

I hear what you are saying.. totally.. but one of your arguments really doesn't seem to be that strong...

APC40 - 16.5" x 13.2" x 2.6"

Trigger Finger - 11" x 10" x 2 1/4"

4.5 inches x 3 inches difference shouldn't really make or brake the portability issue.

Go LaunchPad and nanoKontrol for great portability and functionality

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
I hear what you are saying.. totally.. but one of your arguments really doesn't seem to be that strong...

APC40 - 16.5" x 13.2" x 2.6"

Trigger Finger - 11" x 10" x 2 1/4"

4.5 inches x 3 inches difference shouldn't really make or brake the portability issue.

Go LaunchPad and nanoKontrol for great portability and functionality
Except that 3 inches is the difference between fitting in my old record bag and not.

Launch Pad might also be an option but like I said in the other thread lack of faders is a negative.

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
Yeah I know.. and like I said before.. I hear you...

I just love it for what it CAN do rather than what it CAN'T. Plus it makes sense for my set up.. but sure maybe not someone else's... I also have no problem with the pirce point.. I think it's fair.

I'm comletely for an all in one solution... but totally not against a 2 (or even 3 in some cases) controller set up if it gives maximum flexibilty. Esspecially considering how compact these controllers are.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
I just got my APC40 in yesterday, and booted the bad boy up. All I can say is I'm in love with this unit. Gone are the days of the mouse everything can be done by the controller.

dj.nick.c

TRIBE Member
ok, so planning a set here and setting up cue points, one problem. the wave forms never seem to be saved and have to regenerate everytime i put the same tune on. why is this happening? how can it be fixed so the waveform is saved?

dj.nick.c

TRIBE Member
ok, so planning a set here and setting up cue points, one problem. the wave forms never seem to be saved and have to regenerate everytime i put the same tune on. why is this happening? how can it be fixed so the waveform is saved?
HA! wrong thread, my bad.:eek:

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Is anyone using a sound card that outputs more than two stereo channels? How does that work in Live. can you sent 4 different tracks out to four different channels?

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
Is anyone using a sound card that outputs more than two stereo channels? How does that work in Live. can you sent 4 different tracks out to four different channels?
yes.. just route each out of each track to a channel on your multi channel sound interface.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Okay so I need some help setting up my DJ system and I'm sure someone will be able to help with this.

Let's assume I have a multi-channel audio card that's hooked up to a standard mixer. I can route, lets say, four audio channels in Live to for different channels on the mixer. I don't have to deal with mixing in Live that way. I'm using a Launch Pad or similar type controller to launch clips and control effects within Live. I've created an effect preset that I'm dropping in 4 buses, one for each channel. Now I want to be able to drag and drop songs into Audio slots 1-4 as I play. This is were I'm having difficulties figuring out the easiest way to set up. I want to have cue points set up in the song for editing on the fly or loops from parts of the song. Basically the way you can set cues and loops in a program like Serato. The way I tried doing it was cutting up the track as different clips and saving the whole thing as a project file. The problem I have is that it creates a bunch of folders and files that I would have to search through to find the song I want.

Is there a way I can create cue points that can be mapped to a controller? Or even some easy method of filing that is all in one place and easily accessable?

Blue Meanies

TRIBE Member
If you cut up a track into multiple clips (in the same audio channel) you can highlight all of the clips and drag the group into the file browser on the left. This will create a new folder that you can name "Key-Track Name-Artist-Mix" or whatever you want. Then when you want to play that track, its loops or edits. You just drag the folder to the audio channel and it opens all the clips saved within.

I file all my audio in this order

Drive Letter:/year/month/key

I usually set up ableton folders like this
F1 - Loops, samples, etc.
F2 - Current Year (2009)
F3 - Current Month (Dec 09)

That way all of the latest music I'm using is in the monthly folder. However anything I've created, bought, edited, etc from the entire year is available easily as well in the yearly folder. If I want something specific I just search for it, ableton's search is great. :)

Blue Meanies

TRIBE Member
My setup inlcudes; Macbook, Saffire Firewire Audio Interface (with 8 - 1/4" outputs using 4 channels of an analog mixer), Novation SL25 MKII (Effects for all my audio/midi channels within ableton), Novation Luanchpad (for triggering clips, arming, muting, etc).

I've always enjoyed djing with a real club mixer so when I first switched to ableton I really hated having to use a midi controller for my levels, fades, eqing, etc. I thought it was a big step backwards. I did a lot of research and came up with this setup. It takes a few minutes to setup the audio interface (similar to setting up a serato box) but being able to use a club mixer the way it was meant to be used, makes a world of difference for me!

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
there might be a way to use the nanoKontrol with the Launchpad so that it follows all the tracks that Launchpad is zooming around to. it has something to do with Remote Scripting:
Create Digital Music Ableton Live MIDI Remote Scripting How To: Custom Korg nanoSERIES Control

in the meantime though it looks like the nocturn is the best way to add some knobs and a crossfader to the launchpad. this is something the APC40 has down pat, but as mentioned here it's a bit large. Launchpad is razor thin.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
If you cut up a track into multiple clips (in the same audio channel) you can highlight all of the clips and drag the group into the file browser on the left. This will create a new folder that you can name "Key-Track Name-Artist-Mix" or whatever you want. Then when you want to play that track, its loops or edits. You just drag the folder to the audio channel and it opens all the clips saved within.

I file all my audio in this order

Drive Letter:/year/month/key

I usually set up ableton folders like this
F1 - Loops, samples, etc.
F2 - Current Year (2009)
F3 - Current Month (Dec 09)

That way all of the latest music I'm using is in the monthly folder. However anything I've created, bought, edited, etc from the entire year is available easily as well in the yearly folder. If I want something specific I just search for it, ableton's search is great. :)
I was hoping for a slightly easier way to do this but it's not a bad way of doing things.

I've also discovered that if you want to sort by genre or artist, or basically any way that works for you, you just create a new folder, call it 'techno' or whatever, and create short cuts to the project files. Then you can just drag and drop the short cuts in Ableton and they come right up. Handy if you want multiple sorting options.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Gah, NEED HELP!

I'm doing my first DJ set on Live tonight and now it's decided to crap up on me.

Everything worked great when I tried this out last week but now everything is running like crap. I'm using a Maya 44 USB external sound card and running it to the mixer. When I chose my audio driver as ASIO Live basically freezes up on me. The menus will still work but when I go to play a clip no audio comes out and the clip freezes as if it's going to play but never does.

Help!